Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Next Generation Consoles: PS4 & XBOX ONE

Rides

The Next Generation Consoles: PS4 & XBOX ONE

It appears that the next generation consoles are on track to arrive live a pair of buses, with both due for announcement around June time with a release in time for Christmas this year.

http://www.slashgear.com/sony-ps4-te...veal-15265359/

Guess its about time for the SXOC to have a thread about these two up and coming consoles, so feel free to discuss news and updates on them here
    Last edited by Pablo13; 21-05-2013 at 19:52.
    bstmeetbllk

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    Curious to know if they will announce both this year and release by Christmas. I would imagine, if anything, Xbox will launch this year. The PS3 was quoted as having a 10 year life when it got released in 2006. I wouldn't expect another Sony main console until Christmas 2015!

Xbox on the other hand needs to up its game...hoping the "720" will have in built blu ray player and better interface stuff. Couldn't give a shit about Kinect tbh.

Rides
    Don't forget Sony ceased production of the PS2 only last month, so the PS3 will carry on in the shadow of the next generation in a similar way.

Both will be out this year
    Last edited by Pablo13; 16-01-2013 at 09:00.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Sony will release as soon as Microsoft does. Its a waiting game with some thinking the Sony will be revealed in febuary.

Rides
    I heard Sony wants to release before Microsnot this time around.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude Dog View Post
    I heard Sony wants to release before Microsnot this time around.
    Would make sense. Microsoft grabbed a good share of the market with a near 8 month window with zero competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo13 View Post
    Don't forget Sony only ceased production of the PS2 only last month, so the PS3 will carry on in the shadow of the next generation in a similar way.

Both will be out this year
    I doubt both will... need to pop into my old shop and get the insider info.

The only rumour I heard which helps that theory is BF4 is a next gen game and is due out Nov 2013...

Rides
    I'm pretty confident they'll both be out, not usually a gambler but I would bet money on that

Microsoft have a countdown to E3 and as mentioned Sony is pretty adamant they want to get it out before Microsoft this time round.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    I think they are going to be pretty disappointing ... When the 360 and PS3 were released the gap in performance between PC and the xbox and ps2 was massive ... and it took a good few games to be released before the "new Gen" consoles started producing "new Gen" games.

This time round, PC graphics are still better, but there is nowhere near the same difference in performance. ....... so upon release I think its going to be pretty questionable to why people should spank £450 on a new box

At least the PS3 introduced blueray ..... unless there is some new great hardware shipped with them, its going to be dissapointing for at least 6 months

Rides
    The difference between top end pc graphics and xbox/ps3 is still very large, 1080p video with 16aa and AF qualities on very high detail looks great if you can run it - although it will cost.
    Chat is that the next gen consoles will rival top end pc capabilities so that is going to be welcome, i doubt they will maintain that though due to the pace of pc hardware.

SO what will be inside? Everything currently points to a modified APU, perhaps based on the next gen A10 from AMD so at least a quad core piledriver core with 300+ shader processors using GCN or GCN2.

Rides
    You really can't compare PC gaming to Consoles.... with PC's you can ultimatly update any small part to make games look better.

Consoles are the out the box solution for a gamer, plug in, put game in and go.... a PC is for the person who wants the best of everything.

This comes form an ex PC gamer. I have 2 reasons I use consoles now....1. Space, 2. Price.

Rides
    Consoles will always be compared to pc's while the games are cross platform, its the same as between console to console.

If the new consoles are going to be competing with current PC's then that imho is a very good thing, however i expect you will have to pay a lot for this - the first year of sales of new consoles will be expensive although not as much as a similar pc they still wont be cheep.

Rides
    You can compare them but only at the single launch point....from the moment its launched its old tech. PC's can continually be enhanced and then saying "Consoles are not as good" is like comparing a year old PC to an up to date one.

Thats my gripe with, IMO, elitest PC gamers. Not saying you are one I think we both are thinking along the same lines and I'm debating with fresh air LOL

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubix_Cube View Post
    Curious to know if they will announce both this year and release by Christmas. I would imagine, if anything, Xbox will launch this year. The PS3 was quoted as having a 10 year life when it got released in 2006. I wouldn't expect another Sony main console until Christmas 2015!

Xbox on the other hand needs to up its game...hoping the "720" will have in built blu ray player and better interface stuff. Couldn't give a shit about Kinect tbh.
    Isn't Blu-Ray Sony technology? Would they let there biggest rival include it into there spec?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Benkid View Post
    Isn't Blu-Ray Sony technology? Would they let there biggest rival include it into there spec?
    Yes, you could easily argue the same about Blu-Ray home players, Sony would licence the technology to who ever was willing to pay.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubix_Cube View Post
    You can compare them but only at the single launch point....from the moment its launched its old tech. PC's can continually be enhanced and then saying "Consoles are not as good" is like comparing a year old PC to an up to date one.

Thats my gripe with, IMO, elitest PC gamers. Not saying you are one I think we both are thinking along the same lines and I'm debating with fresh air LOL
    i personally think that consoles are much better at wringing out every last drop of performance than PC are, mainly that the software writters have to write for multiple drivers/peices of hardware as there could be millions of possible combinations of stuff, so they are always limited by comprimise. but with a console, even if its a multi platform relsease, they know what the hardware, OS and drivers are going to be, regardless if it was bought 6 years ago or yesterday, so they can concentrate on pushing the hardware more.

Rides
    Even if they do decide to do the big reveal this year we won't see the PS4 (or whatever they want to call it) in Europe until next March minimum
    SXOC Member #62SXOCCar Gone & ZX-12RPS4 - AFKAN
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Benkid View Post

Blu-ray Disk Association. Sony may own some SEPs but MS will get their license to bundle Bluray from the BDA

Rides
    The new Xbox has been pretty much confirmed as being out for Christmas this year. Devs have had dev kits for it for a year or so and titles due out this year are being touted as next gen.

I've not heard as much about the new PS, not sure if Sony are being deliberately tight lipped or if its just further off than the new Xbox.

Will be interesting to see how big a jump it will be. As has been said the jump from last gen to this one was pretty significant but I think this gen has aged better and games still look good. Having said that if the new consoles match current top spec PCs then they will still blow the previous ones out of the water in terms of graphical quality.

I'll probably get a new console, but I am very tempted by PC gaming. Mainly for the user created content/mods for games. Stuff like Day Z etc that you just can't get on consoles.

One thing is for sure though, ill only get one console or the other this time. My PS3 gets dusted off once in a while for an exclusive like uncharted etc, but that's it. Just not enough to warrant it being there. If it was worth more I'd probably flog it as I don't even need it for Blu rays anymore (and having bought a standalone Blu ray player it opens your eyes to how average the PS3 is at that aspect). Please no one get defensive, I'm no fanboy, just how I've experienced this generation

Rides
    Trouble is, unless current trends are reversed (which I doubt unless more people start paying for PC games), then PC users are going to continue to get the short end of the stick with release dates, availability of titles, etc.

Which is the reason I probably will buy one or both consoles, otherwise I'd probably spend the money on keeping my PC up to date.

I think of the two I'm more likely to buy the Xbox first, especially if Forza 5 is a launch title as mooted.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Oh god I hope they do something new with forza and gt6 ..... The game play is tiring ... I half played gt5 and bought another 360 to play forza4 on .... Only to discover its just tarted up graphics with the same format ... Something new please Dakar ... A-b road driving any thing other than bouncing off the walls of a confined track winning because you spend 60000000 credits on turbo no3 ... Arrrrrrgh