Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorbike end cans

Rides

Motorbike end cans

Whenever we met up with friends on our bikes, we discuss various exhaust options as we all run various setups from power commanders, air filters and full exhausts through to out of the factory end can.

Concentrating on end cans only, over the years with various bikes, we generally said that the market leaders be it, micron, blue flame, akrapovic, remus etc all sound much of a muchness and just depends how much pub talk you want over the price you paid. This does exclude whether the baffles are allowed for.

What are the general thoughts on this or do people have another view?

Rides
    Akrapovic tend to be one of the best, however they are also one of the most expensive. It also depends on the bike.

I've got an Akrapovic race can on my 2012 Kawasaki Z750 and it sounds the bollox

Rides
    As with most things, you get what you pay for, the cheaper ones are usually worse quality.

but, each to their own.

My VFR still has the standard can on it, and I don't see a good enough reason for me to replace it.

Rides
    I have a Nexxus Motard 4-2-1 on my XJ600n, and it's far too quiet. It was better when the last Nexxus can fell off and was straight through..

Rides
    My ZX6R with a Muzzy sounded brilliant, 4-1 as opposed to 4-2-1, 106hp at the back wheel.

Rides
    I have the choice of a pair of Arrow Race titanium hi level or Worx Bomb S/S ( Usa Import )Stubby Low level on the Triumph with separate fuel maps curtsey of a PC3

The both sound unique and so much better than standard

The Gas Gas runs and Arrow Race Can and pipe which frees up power and has a nice rinky ting 2stroke noise

I just received a Predator Custom made full Stainless steel 4-1 for my GSXR slab side project but have no idea what it will sound like as yet not fitted . Hope fully it with give a nice base sound like the system i had fitted to my TDM

Best pipes i had fitted was a set of Carbon Race Tergamonies with titanium down pipes on full chat it was a sound to die for

Rides
    I think the micron on my gsxr1000 sounds better than the akrapovic on my gsxr750, but then the 1000 has a full system with shorter can and 750 has standard headers with full length can.

Rides
    I used to have end cans on all my previous bikes bar this one, despite owning it over a year (cbr954). Ed, my other friend also has the same bike and standard can after 2/3 years.

Then again, it only got ridden less than 1500 miles in some 14/15 months.

Rides
    Here is a pic of the Akro on mine . . .

Rides
    I've a set of scorpion carbines on my busa....it sets car alarms off and sounds incredible

Rides
    Depends on the bike really. Since all I've had is triumphs for the last few years the I've looked towards leo vince, 2brothers, arrow, zard, beowulf etc.

Rides
    I have tended towards micron, beowulf, scorpion and Akrapovic. Still get asked how I have 'survived' owning the blade over a year on a standard can.

Prior, did you end up selling the street triple and buying something else?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosy View Post
    I have tended towards micron, beowulf, scorpion and Akrapovic. Still get asked how I have 'survived' owning the blade over a year on a standard can.

Prior, did you end up selling the street triple and buying something else?
    Yeah I sold it privately and bought a Thruxton. Cant say I have any urge to trade it in for anything yet other than a scrambler. I have picked up a CBR600 F2 that i'm restoring that will be my retro supersports fun.

Rides
    I went with Blue Flame as I wanted to stick with the stubby style of the original, which left me with either Blue Flame or Akrapovic and from what I could find out, the BF sounded better. It's also BS stamped, (but only if you have the bung fitted). Love the sound and all my biker mates comment on how nice it sounds.

Alex B

Rides
    Standard can on a 954 makes good power and it will keep the police off your back. It doesn't weight all that much either. Looks a bit clumsy though.

I have a Termignoni fitted to my CBR600F They only made about half a dozen of them. At noise tests the tester always says something like "don't go full chat down the straights for the first few laps coz you're coming up as 106 Db"

I think it need repacking

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Standard can on a 954 makes good power and it will keep the police off your back. It doesn't weight all that much either. Looks a bit clumsy though.

I have a Termignoni fitted to my CBR600F They only made about half a dozen of them. At noise tests the tester always says something like "don't go full chat down the straights for the first few laps coz you're coming up as 106 Db"

I think it need repacking

That is pretty much the reason I did not go for an exhaust, Police awareness and that upon reading, aside from the bulk, the standard can is not a bad design.

Rides
    Still got the standard can on my 954 after 4 years ownership. Not too bothered about making lots of noise these days.

Rides
    The nicest exhaust (end can anyway) i've heard is a Yoshimura on a Yamaha R1

Rides
    I've always wondered at how many people buy replacement pipes for the pub rights and nothing else. I used to sell a small range (Micron, Akrapovic et al) and it was nearly always the power rangers giggling at how they just did 120mph down such and such road on the back wheel buying them up.

On a machine (as reference - ZX12R) that'll do many many leptons more than you're allowed to do anywhere in the country, would an Akrapovic end can make any real difference? What are we looking at, 5bhp?

If it's for looks I can understand it. Perhaps a full system from head to end would provide more power or allow a better fuel map curve. Either way, I've always seen end pipes as a vanity item and not as a real power additive.

Rides
    Makes more of a noticable difference on a 600 but really needs to be coupled with a remap or jet change.

Otherwise, I'm inclined to agree that they are vanity items.

A 954 is just an astonishingly quick motorcycle. It doesn't feel like its going that hard until you notice everything else seems slower and the speedo seems to overread

It doesn't feel like a mega-superbike, it just feels like an unbelievably fast 600. With a standard exhaust, its whisper quiet and that also contributes to the lack of sensation. Fitting a louder can will make it seem quicker.