Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NGK PFR6B...gap?

Rides

NGK PFR6B...gap?

Hi guys, running NGK PFR6B's on my 200 sx with 12-14psi boost, intercooler, hks actuator, walbro, exhaust, air filter etc. I understand these are pre gapped to 0.8. Do they need to be 0.7 or something else? I'm getting hesitation at 4k ish. Thanks

Rides
    They're a bit warm for that spec, 7/8s are recommended once you start raising boost levels. BCPR7ES (or BCR7ES, or 8's of either type) are the usual choice.

Rides
    Personal choice BKR7EIX preset gap.
    **Currently breaking**
    RX-8 191, RX-8 231

Rides
    I'm with Gav. For stage 1, grade 7's were perfect. At stage 3, I had no end of problems with the 7's, but 8's work perfectly.

Rides
    oh right I see...well I've checked and they are pre gapped at 0.9. So shall i try gapping these down to 0.7? Thanks again for help and advice

Rides
    Try the gap at .7 and see if it helps Gapping them too narrow won't harm anything, will just result in a smaller spark. Gapping them wide will give a bigger spark but can also mean it is blown out more easily.

Just experiment until you find the sweet spot

(PS I run mine at .75 and have no issue, although mine are a grade colder than yours).

Rides
    Grade 6 plugs are too hot.

An S14 should run 7s as standard.

A set of BCPR7ESs will cost you less than a tenner vs a set of platinums like you are running which cost almost 4 times as much.

The coppers are easier to gap than the irridium, many of which have a v-groove in the ground electrode making them hard to set with a feeler gauge.

Go and buy a set of BCPR7ESs and gap them at 0.8. I predict your hesitation problems on full boost will go away.

Rides
    thanks very much guys

Rides
    Iv put the 7 plugs in, gapped to 0.7. The car feels the same/similar as before, with hesitation/flats pots at 3500/4500rpm Ish. The car pulls extremley hard again after 5-5500rpm. Boost seems to stay at 12-13 psi Ish. Any ideas :/ ?

East Anglia Area Rep Slip_n_slide's Avatar
    Rides
    I thought the standard heat was 6? Also, thought bcpr*es were for a ca? Sparkplugs.co.uk confirms this

I've been using bkr7e in my 14a as per one of their recommendations.
    Last edited by Slip'n_slide; 12-01-2013 at 23:54.

Rides
    That's my understanding. 6 as standard and 7 for stage 1 upwards. Most people don't need 8's unless they're running really big power.

Rides
    Ok, so iv once again got the wrong plugs lol?! What should I have in at 12-14psi stage 1- stage 2. And have I gapped these incorrectly again?!

Rides
    As mentioned, try the BKR7E - These are about £10 for the set and gapped to 0.8 which is what I'm using with no issues and mine's a very similar spec to yours at the moment. There are the ones which Gav mentioned - BKR7EIX which are irridiums so a bit more costly than the BKR7E.

Have you checked for any boost leaks/dud one way valves and split vac hoses yet though if you're getting hesitation?
    Last edited by Slip'n_slide; 13-01-2013 at 09:13.

Rides
    Thanks for the reply mate. I found a few obvious boost leaks, which iv sorted. Anything else, I can't see. Only thing I can think maybe, is the intercooler? I'm not experienced enough to check for leaks etc. So you reckon get these plugs and give a go? 0.8 then? Aparantly are pre gapped to 0.711111

Rides
    BCPR7ES are fine for SR20. I ran BCR8ES (same as BCPR except it doesn't protrude so much) for thousands of miles with no problems at all.

If there were boost leaks that's probably the root cause of the problem.

Rides
    Right ok, well they are what's in, and iv gapped them to 0.71...is this right or not?

Rides

Rides
    If you can take your WMIC out and then submerge it in water for 10 - 15 minutes (the sealed part obv) if you get some water in it then it is knackered. Usually they break in a big way if they do go so a visual inspection is usually enough to spot a crack around where the pipes join.

Give your AFM a clean with some carb or brake cleaner as that might be the cause of some of your issues. Be careful not to touch the element and break it as they're easily damageable.

Rides
    It's a fmic though...?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_melon View Post
    BCPR7ES are fine for SR20. I ran BCR8ES (same as BCPR except it doesn't protrude so much) for thousands of miles with no problems at all.

If there were boost leaks that's probably the root cause of the problem.
    +1 to confirm these plugs are fine, and the gap you are running should also be ok.

If you can, perform a full compression test on your boost system.. Should help you track down any little leaks.

What is your full spec? Might help us figure out what's up