Thread: Moving the throttle body away from the inlet manifold.

Rides

Moving the throttle body away from the inlet manifold.

On my project I have an issue with space. I need to change or modify the inlet manifold( still need to address this). Once the manifold is sorted I will still have issues with the TB position. I was hoping to move it away from the inlet by making a flanged pipe say 6" long. Is there any reason why I couldn't do this? It would be the same size as the throttle body (50mm). The IC piping will be custom anyway so no problem there.

Have a look here to see what I'm up to.
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...st-sr20det-win

Jon

Rides
    Will work fine. You won't notice any difference and everything will fit, win win
    **Currently breaking**
    RX-8 191, RX-8 231

Rides
    Would it need to be a solid pipe or could it be a flexi? It might help with installation.

Rides
    It would have to be strong reinforced flexi as it will be large vacuum whenever you come off of the throttle at high rpm. Solid pipe work would be long term solution

Rides
    Yeah that's true, maybe metal pipe with a very short silicone part either end if I need some flexibility.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jon200 View Post
    Yeah that's true, maybe metal pipe with a very short silicone part either end if I need some flexibility.
    I can see that working better Jon than a solid pipe welded to the TB/Inlet plenum,If a solid welded pipe then engine movement would crack it IMO,2 short lengths of tri-wall silicone hose for a bit of movement/flex could work well

Rides
    Perhaps the same stuff that flexible exhausts are made of might help you?

Rides
    Yeh that would work, rough rule of thumb is keep the length <1.25x its OD and you shouldn't totally collapse it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    I can see that working better Jon than a solid pipe welded to the TB/Inlet plenum,If a solid welded pipe then engine movement would crack it IMO,2 short lengths of tri-wall silicone hose for a bit of movement/flex could work well
    would leak, exhuats arent under the pressure that the inlet is, and they rely on the heat to swell and seal.

Rides
    the problem i forsee there is that the throttle cable will pull on a flexible mounted TB, youd be getting some weird throttle openings.

as irts not a great distance, id go with 4mm think wall ally tube welded on and bracketed back to the block and mount TB on that. Flexis will fail in time imho

Rides
    I ran the throttle body on my old MX5 infront of the supercharger through silicone hoses to the plenum and had no issues under boost or vacuum. You have to be careful not to make the pipe run too long otherwise you'll start loosing throttle response.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CNHSS1 View Post
    the problem i forsee there is that the throttle cable will pull on a flexible mounted TB, youd be getting some weird throttle openings.

as irts not a great distance, id go with 4mm think wall ally tube welded on and bracketed back to the block and mount TB on that. Flexis will fail in time imho
    Oh yeah, didn't think of that! I'm glad your here lol. I think that at most it will be 4"

Rides
    I've done this a few times on various cars to fit larger throttle bodies etc. as said a bit of 4mm wall ally tube is plenty and won't flex at all for what you need. Don't forget that you will have to weld on a lump to drill and tap for the throttle cable bracket.

Rides
    If I can get it the right length hopefully I can just tap the flange for a bracket maybe.