Thread: Decent SSD brand?

Rides

Decent SSD brand?

My current SSD seems to be giving up the ghost and I do not want another Corsair drive as this one ( I think )
    is the culprit for my BSOD woes.

I wanna spend £120-£150 really and need a 256GB or there abouts. my current 120GB isn't big enough

Who shall I go with for the best performance/price/space?

Cheers

Rides
    OCZ drives are pretty good and a decent price.

Rides
    Intel. Everywhere I've been Intel has always been mentioned as being the most stable and reliable. I've just bought an Intel 120gb drive for my new computer, its been perfect (admittedly its only been running 3 days).

You wont find one for the price range you've stated though. Here is the closest:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...04&subcat=2394
    3year warranty.

Here's the next up:

5 year warranty.

and this is the daddy:

5 year warranty.

Unless you need an all ssd (you haven't said weather its a desktop or laptop you have) setup for whatever reason you should look in to getting a regular hdd for archiving and storage and run your OS and programs from the hdd (if you have a desktop or dual hard drive laptop).

Rides
    Samsung 840 or Crucial M4 are the best I know of.
    Did a lot of research when I wanted to buy one around 6months ago.
    I got the samsung and it's reliability, compatibility and speeds are epic.
    Don't think too much has changed since then.

Rides
    The older OCZ Vertex had a bit of a poor rep, but the Agility range seem to have been well received

Rides
    OP did you ever update the firmware on that SSD your having issues with?

No matter what make you go for always update to the latest firmware before using it.

Anyway bettter ones out there..

OCZ
    Corsair
    Intel 520 series

But always update firmware try and get one with high read and write speeds.. Some of the older intel ones had crappy write speeds.

Rides
    Thanks a lot for the feedback chaps, it's a desktop sorry and I will also be buying a 1TB HDD for storage. The larger SSD is really for OS and games, and they are getting silly big now with Max Payne 3 coming in at 27GB

I'll look into the Intel if I can can manage that price. I can, but I didn't wanna spend that much I saw a Samsung too which I'll have another look at cheers!

Edit: mks, I tried many times but the updater tool didn't work for some reason. Even when I took the drive out and used a dock to do it via the lappy

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer_foxwell View Post
    Thanks a lot for the feedback chaps, it's a desktop sorry and I will also be buying a 1TB HDD for storage. The larger SSD is really for OS and games, and they are getting silly big now with Max Payne 3 coming in at 27GB

I'll look into the Intel if I can can manage that price. I can, but I didn't wanna spend that much I saw a Samsung too which I'll have another look at cheers!

Edit: mks, I tried many times but the updater tool didn't work for some reason. Even when I took the drive out and used a dock to do it via the lappy
    The OCZ Update will fail if the motherboard isn't using ACPI Power Management - worth checking if this affects other drives and whether it's switched on on your Motherboard - Gigabyte boards have it disabled by default

Rides
    Wait, do you take 20mins to boot up or something with the Corsair M4 after you have updated to the latest firmware? It's a known fault with the firmware. Downgrade the firmware and give it another bash. I am still using mines with no problems at all. I haven't upgrade the firmware.

Rides
    Not had any issues with my OCZ Agility 3

EDIT: Oh, and I wouldn't buy Corsair if their SSDs are anything like their USB flash drives, I've had two of those fail in the last 4 years
    Last edited by Pete C; 07-01-2013 at 15:15.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by weiner_patrol View Post
    Wait, do you take 20mins to boot up or something with the Corsair M4 after you have updated to the latest firmware? It's a known fault with the firmware. Downgrade the firmware and give it another bash. I am still using mines with no problems at all. I haven't upgrade the firmware.
    He hasn't updated the firmware as it kept failing....

Rides
    Yeah I never managed to update it.

This is the one I have IIRC http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120gb...85000-iops-max

It's half the price now as when I got it :/

I've not had many blue screens as of late because I've avoided most of the things that I know set it off. But recently I've found Windows taking longer to load, it gets to the Windows loading screen and just sits there for a minute or so.

I got this drive because of the apparently lightning fast read/write so I would like something as fast or faster if that's possible for the price range I quoted. I can go up a bit but would rather not

At the moment it seems to be between Intel and Samsung?

Rides
    Yeah they come shipped with the problematic firmware too from what I read.

Tried borrowing a friends computer to try and update the firmware to the stable one?

I guess Intel is known for their stability. Something I heard about the 330 being less stable or something. The latest Intel runs Sandforce controllers too. Samsung ones I heard were pretty good too but I have no experience with either.

Rides
    I used my wife's laptop to update after my PC couldn't do it. No luck with either

I'm gonna give it to my much more computer savvy mate who will no doubt get a working SSD out of it... Eventually

Rides
    I had an Intel 330 in my old laptop and it ran faultlessly. When the time comes for my new one though I will be getting a Crucial M4 for my new laptop in mSATA format as its slightly quicker with the read and write speeds.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Well bugger me!

I was about to settle on the Samsung when I thought I'll give the firmware another go and low and behold it failed... Then I stumbled on this thread http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=108235

Following that advice allowed me to update the firmware! Seems it's a problem with the AMD drivers.

Time will tell if it's done the trick though, thanks for the advice guys and I'll look back into this if it still BSOD

Rides
    Vote for Intel.

My Intel drives in raid 0 have been absolutely faultless for the past three or four years!

Rides
    If I still BSOD I will be looking to get one. I can't justify the money only for space though

So far.... No crashes

Rides
    AMD drivers causing crashes? Shock horror, lol!

This is why I ignore catalyst when it promts me to install the latest version, been burnt before with poorly tested drivers giving me issues thankyouverymuch.