• Scalextric

26 78.79%
  • Train set

7 21.21%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trainset v Scalextric

Rides

Trainset v Scalextric

Been considering setting up the study into either a scalextric or trainset layout at desk level. A proper scenic layout configuration for either, in an area around 8 x 6 ft.

Thing is, both scalextric and the train set have their pros and cons. I would also like to be able to have an area in the middle of the room whereby you could crawl under the layout to pop up.

I know I like the digital scalextric and the oo gauge train setup, but been fighting for which to have. I have had both in years gone by and a few years back the digital sclaextric was a hoot. But some weird James May idea swings me to the train set, perhaps because more track can be laid in a small area or just for some reason I cannot explain it's entertaining rather than fun?

Also had a few looks on the internet and there are people that are able to tilt the layoiuts vertically so the room can still be utilised as intended.

So which should I have?

Rides
    Scalextric .... For the Simple fact that it is fun and offers excitement of racing toy cars .... The only excitement a train set offers is when you get a new chunky jumper or tank top to wear

Rides
    While the scalextric is likely going to be way more fun, you have to remember you can have better crashes with the train set... worth considering.

Rides
    Got to be a properly done Scalextric Done to look like a race track or Nurburgring-esque

Rides
    Well if it was to be a scalextric built to a race circuit then it would be Brands Hatch. That or it would involve bridges and up and overs etc.

Never did consider the train crash interested, morbid but I see your thinking...

Rides
    Run both
    You might want to upgrade to bigger trains and smaller cars though for scale. Imagine the lols of racing against your mates car and trying to beat him and the train to one of your many hand-bodged level crossings

Rides
    Have a look at Scalextric Digital. Fancy things can be done with the 6 car digital powerbase including running custom software on laptops that link into the powerbase giving you lap times, reduced pit lane speeds, simulated fuel loads, simulated tyre wear, kers, etc. They're even working on DRS atm.

More info can be found at http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showforum=17

Edit: This was mine at xmas round my mums. It consisted of the digital platinum set, digital raceline set and some classic track (inc convertors). Had a great laugh with all 6 cars running at the same time.

scalextricxmas.jpg
    Last edited by karlf; 05-01-2013 at 15:42.

Rides
    That is a nice scene. I have owned a digital version but ran four cars not six, was so much of a hoot, but that was say four years ago now.

If I go another it would be a scenic version with buildings, pits, people, banks etc. A realistic setup is what I am gearing for.

Rides
    8x6' is not a very big area for Scalextric though

Rides
    Scalextric all the way! I used to paint and modify my cars even when I was still in primary school

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by karlf View Post
    It consisted of the digital platinum set, digital raceline set and some classic track (inc convertors). Had a great laugh with all 6 cars running at the same time.

scalextricxmas.jpg
    Oh, tell me more about these converters - I have about a mile of old skool track and digital 6 car battles sound fun

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewaysfun View Post
    Scalextric all the way! I used to paint and modify my cars even when I was still in primary school
    Yep, Any details that wern't done when the cars came out of the factory were later added by me. For instance even at the age of 7 I knew exhausts should be shiney stainless steel coloured

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    8x6' is not a very big area for Scalextric though
    That there is the only real downside for the scalextric vote, unlessit went multi level perhaps?

The idea is so that it can be a permenant scenic display and p,lay otherwise I could use the lounge circa 24 x 10 ft but don't fancy clearing and setting it up all the time.

Rides
    Could always fix it to bits of plywood for the living room and have catches to stick them all together and plugs to handle the power

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by fullmet***asket View Post
    Oh, tell me more about these converters - I have about a mile of old skool track and digital 6 car battles sound fun
    I use these http://www.scalextric.com/shop/track...-straight-x-2/

Rides
    Awesome - More stuff to waste cash on when the house move is complete!

Rides
    I've had both,but they where proper oldschool. Trainset wise Hornby 00 - on a huge fold down platform that was probably 8x6 if not bigger. I did have quite a complex set up of 3 external loops, lots of sidings for different loads etc etc but i did get quite bored of that after I built it, so basically after it was completed, faffed with it for a bit and then dismantled it.

Scalextric however never really got boring, can always re-design the track and add extra bits, where as in the trainset its a tad more difficult, specially if you do the whole landscaping thing along side which I did.

Don't know much about this new age digital scalextric but for the smell alone of the old stuff I'd be getting out the cars!

Edit: Just noticed you say you want to do the whole landscaping thing, tbh 8x6 is a tad small for scalextric unless as mentioned you go multi level

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by steve109 View Post
    I've had both,but they where proper oldschool. Trainset wise Hornby 00 - on a huge fold down platform that was probably 8x6 if not bigger. I did have quite a complex set up of 3 external loops, lots of sidings for different loads etc etc but i did get quite bored of that after I built it, so basically after it was completed, faffed with it for a bit and then dismantled it.

Scalextric however never really got boring, can always re-design the track and add extra bits, where as in the trainset its a tad more difficult, specially if you do the whole landscaping thing along side which I did.

Don't know much about this new age digital scalextric but for the smell alone of the old stuff I'd be getting out the cars!

Edit: Just noticed you say you want to do the whole landscaping thing, tbh 8x6 is a tad small for scalextric unless as mentioned you go multi level
    Thats nearing my theory on the train setup. Once it's up I could well get a bit bored. The digital scalextric I had was a heck of a laugh and a half though, so much fun able to change lanes and create different incidents and frustrations to all drivers, was a hoot.

Just a shame about the 8x6 area to a degree, although how can you affix the scalextric track to a board?

Rides
    Something else I forgot to mention, is that with the 6 car pb, even if you have 2 "drivers" you can set the other 4 cars to drive themselves around the track (pacer cars), creating "traffic" to avoid, or even have all 6 set as pacers running with no drivers.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by karlf View Post
    Something else I forgot to mention, is that with the 6 car pb, even if you have 2 "drivers" you can set the other 4 cars to drive themselves around the track (pacer cars), creating "traffic" to avoid, or even have all 6 set as pacers running with no drivers.
    Sounds like I used 10% of what the digital setup could actually deliver.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosy View Post
    although how can you affix the scalextric track to a board?
    Scalextric sell fixing clips though I'm sure you can source similar elsewhere (Link)