33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scalextric

26 78.79%
  • Train set

7 21.21%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trainset v Scalextric

Rides
    My experience with training sets is that the enjoyment comes from building and modelling the scenery and setting out the track. It tends to be quite a meticulous process and once it's done, it's done.

Slot cars are more based around the enjoyment of actually using it once it's set up. I know what I'd go for

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

Rides
    BUT... the railway layout may never "be done" (speaking from experience of my Dad's N-gauge). There's always more detail or functionality you can add.

Running trains can be very relaxing and enjoyable too - but it's different to racing slot cars. You do know you're asking this on a car forum, right? ;-) The final answer has to be whatever most appeals to you.

Rides
    A mate of mine has a railyway set in his loft that he's built over 10 years. The setup is a lot more slower and it's about the detail e.g scenery and the sounds that the train can do along with points, signals etc as well as getting excited over the engine models and the type of signal boxes.

Slot car is more of a temporary setup as you're more likely to want to do different track shapes and then do jumps, then do another shape, do some burnouts on washing up liquid, change the shape and eventually have the setup around you're whole home taking 30 seconds a lap. Like I did a few years back

Rides
    Thats was a very long track, must have taken some thought and time. Like the thoughts of train and scalextric but that just won't happen.

Will have a rethink and see what is best, but agree that once a train set os done, it may prove a tad boring, where the scalextric would be enjoyment with friends and family, a particular good thing as I do like friends over for parties.

Rides
    What about having two different fold down table type things, each one folding against opposite walls.
    That way you could have both
    bovvered?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by fullmet***asket View Post
    Awesome - More stuff to waste cash on when the house move is complete!
    I reckon you will find other things to waste the cash on that you hadnt even thought about well before Scalextric!

Rides
    Cosy - yeah it's long but to be fair it didn't take much planning, just beers and 2 mates to get involved and it was done. It then took another day to debug it to get the cars running round it seamlessly.

Rides
    Scaley! But then I do have an awful lot of modified digital Scalextric of my own. Goes down a blast at house parties (althou, the set no longer fits inside the house, it takes over the garden when it comes out to play!