Thread: Restoring original paint on a vehicle - stripping paint job's effort

Rides

Restoring original paint on a vehicle - stripping paint job's effort

Ok I'm sure this is going to be less than likely, but given the horrendous prices for paint jobs (and the lack of motivation to prep the car myself with a DA ) I'm curious if there's any way to strip off the water-based respray the cars had (black) to the original factory paint (white) - I've heard of people using acetone/nitromors on bikes with good results, but I have a car.. I need a good result heh. I'm certain when they did the respray they would have at least scotchbrited the original paint (I know the shop so I can confirm this if needsbe) but this could always be machined to bring back the smoothness - though may need relacquered anyway..

Anybody tried this with any modicum of success?

Rides
    in a word. NO..

if you want it back to orignal you need to respray it again.

the only time that this could be possible is if the original paint hasnt been scothched and you wash the paint of immedialty after it been sprayed on..

Rides
    It's not possible, the best chance you've got is find someone thats REALLY good with a media blaster, as you can take paint off a layer at a time, but even then you would get a certain amount of damage to the original paint, it'll also be damaged by the prep work for the respray.

Nitromors isn't fussy, it'll take the paint back to bare metal, there is no way to regulate this.

Alex B

Rides
    Its virtually impossible to just take off one layer of paint by media blasting and still leave the original paint in a serviceable condition, no matter how good you are.

Rides
    The prep would have damaged the original paint beyond repair, so you'll need to respray again.

Rides
    Bugger, shame. Thanks for the advice though chaps!