Thread: New VVT Sprocket, Fixed Sprocket or Cams

Rides

New VVT Sprocket, Fixed Sprocket or Cams

Help.....

Right My VVT Rattle is driving me effing mental so decided to stop ignoring and get it sorted, spoke to a couple of people Gav at Driftbitz and Jez who has gave me some ideas regarding replacing for new sprocket and swapping for fixed sprocket but also been told could swap the VVT for cams without VVT, I know absolutely nothing about these so after some of your advice and possibly inspiration haha

What Cams are available? is this going to cost a shedload more and what else needs to be done and will this increase/decrease performance?

Which of these is the best option as at the moment have a limited budget and don't necessarily want the cheapest option but if comes to it I will save if its worth it.

Currently have an S14a standard ECU anything else you need to know let me know

Ta Mike

Rides
    As I said on the phone if your staying with stock turbo and cams you should keep the VVT. If you took it off you would notice for sure.
    **Currently breaking**
    RX-8 191, RX-8 231

Rides
    What is the full spec of the engine ?

If it's on stock internals and stock turbo then you are wasting your time and money eliminating the NVCS sprocket and fitting cams and solid sprocket.

Replacing the NVCS sprocket for a brand new one is not a permanent fix as their design is the issue and they will fail again, could be months could be years though.

Best bet is to search out a good second hand unit and go from there
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Gav View Post
    As I said on the phone if your staying with stock turbo and cams you should keep the VVT. If you took it off you would notice for sure.
    Wasn't me you spoke to on the phone, I messaged you on here lol, thanks tho I did speak to you about Oil cooler tho a few weeks back ...Top Notch service at Drift Bitz defo recommend for those who haven't used

Rides
    Cheers guys, yeah currently running pretty much stock internals only mods really are FMIC and Walbro fuel pump

Quote Originally Posted by VIDAL BABBOON View Post
    What is the full spec of the engine ?

If it's on stock internals and stock turbo then you are wasting your time and money eliminating the NVCS sprocket and fitting cams and solid sprocket.

Replacing the NVCS sprocket for a brand new one is not a permanent fix as their design is the issue and they will fail again, could be months could be years though.

Best bet is to search out a good second hand unit and go from there

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    To fit cams you really need to fit updated valve springs also which in turn needs the head removing. If you split the engine then you would be wise to skim the head and fit a mhg and head studs also. In other words swapping the sprocket is the easy option
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    To fit cams you really need to fit updated valve springs also which in turn needs the head removing. If you split the engine then you would be wise to skim the head and fit a mhg and head studs also. In other words swapping the sprocket is the easy option
    There is no need to take the head off to change the valve springs.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Oh really, never knew that. Only ever seen it done with an old style valve spring compressor :O
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Decided going to get a 2nd hand sprocket that's known to be silent (have put a post up in wanted section if anyone has anything)