Thread: Sr20det do's and donts

Rides

Sr20det do's and donts

Hey guys, this is the first time iv owned a 180sx with the Blacktop non vvt SR20.
    im jus looking for general advice or guidelines with the SR.
    Common faults?
    modifications that should be done?
    trusted tuning companies?
    any modifications that should be avoided?

Rides
    probably better posting this in the PS13 or S14 tech sections mate as most in this section have CA18DET!

Rides
    Any modifications that should be avoided? Well don't fit one of these with no rocker arm stoppers like someone did > https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n..._3943428_n.jpg
    I really don't like SR's way too many things about them I don't like,And why on earth did I buy three 14a's 2 years ago I will never understand

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    Any modifications that should be avoided? Well don't fit one of these with no rocker arm stoppers like someone did > https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n..._3943428_n.jpg
    I really don't like SR's way too many things about them I don't like,And why on earth did I buy three 14a's 2 years ago I will never understand

Haha the slating of the sr begins! CA FTMFW

Rides
    the thing is, SR's are so good and clever that they HATE w@nky rev limiters like the Bee'R so they break on purpose

the head design is a bit of a pain but when put together right and tuned right, they are never a problem. I wack mine off the limiter for ages at drift days, that said I do have rocker stoppers!

common failures on s13 SR's - oil pickup should be changed for an s14 one. Theres a few things that were improved on with the s14 engine tbh, but thats the only one that sticks out in my mind. Even then its not an absolute.

Good regular servicing and it should be fine

Rides
    Sr over ca any day! Had 2 s13s never again, had my s14a 3 years no issues at all and bounces off limiter most times and engine is un opened no RAS

Rides
    Nah CA anyday no matter what anyone says both are good if looked after and maintained properly but hey i can bounce mine off the limiter and what was that RAS what are they when it comes to a CA and on that you got that fxxkin rattly thing VVT that rattles on a lot of sr's so our BE's let go if not maintained but hey ho drop the sump and whack some new bearings in job done I have had 3 SR's and never again CA all the way!!

Rides
    Ca made by cadburys

Rides
    SR made by Willy Wonka Each to their own!

Rides
    Must clean spray bars and check for cam and rocker wear. Check base timing. As above oil pickup swap.
    **Currently breaking**
    RX-8 191, RX-8 231

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Gav View Post
    Must clean spray bars and check for cam and rocker wear. Check base timing.
    Keep on top of oil changes too then should be no issues, get more accurate water temp gauge aswell just to monitor temps better

Rides
    cheers for the reply lads, yeah i hear from a lad called lee with a white s15 who added one of those BEE R's to the car and within 2 weeks or so the engine was out for a head rebuild

Rides
    Some people use stress balls or a punch bag for stress relief,I prefer to leave an SR in my back garden so when I get really dicked off I can go and pound it with a club hammer, throw rocks at it,and swear lots at it works wonders
    After my many VVt sprockets died (3 sprocket's in 6k miles) and the snapped rocker saga (shim fell in sump ffs) I nick named it Crap Unreliable Nissan Technology and my daughter made me a sticker for it using the capitals from my nick name for the SR's rocker cover,can't post a pic Its NSFW
    Every engine has its faults and flaws CA's included,but letting it warm up before going on boost and regular with decent oil/filters changed will help any engine last and what turbogav posted about checking cleaning SR spray bars to stop rocker's and cam wear