Thread: Headlights won't pop up

Rides

Headlights won't pop up

Hi guys,

My headlights suddenly do not pop up anymore, I've had a search through some of the other threads but can't find anything that quite fits the problem I'm having.

I can turn on the lights and they illuminate no problem, but the lights do not pop up. However I can move the lights up and down using the valet switch no problem, so I've been able to drive it around normally. If I turn the valet switch off and the lights are still on they will stay up until turned off.

I noticed the relays behind the ECU weren't clicking anymore so I got some spares and replace them. No change. I do have a spare indicator/headlight stalk which I haven't tried yet (I'm thinking there might be a loose connection somewhere).

I'm more than happy to take my multi-meter out and check wire continuity, etc. I've got the circuit diagram for the S13 but I'm no auto electrician and I can't figure out where to start or what to check.

If someone can give me a few pointers I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!

Rides
    Sorry i know this sounds really odd but have you checked that the light stalk isnt pushed forward?

My one did this and caught me out a few times

Rides
    Just run out and tried it now, still not popping up

Also I should note I've checked the headlight fuses in the engine bay and they're ok.
    Last edited by Seraphon; 21-12-2012 at 11:52.

Rides
    3 more fuses drivers kick panel.
    Front one up from bottom 10A head lamp wash - dim dim unit power.
    Rear 2 up from bottom 10A sidelamps etc.
    Rear 5 up from bottom 5A. Headlamp timer retract relay (as it goes down it's probably OK)

But switch is most likely.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    3 more fuses drivers kick panel.
    Front one up from bottom 10A head lamp wash - dim dim unit power.
    Rear 2 up from bottom 10A sidelamps etc.
    Rear 5 up from bottom 5A. Headlamp timer retract relay (as it goes down it's probably OK)

But switch is most likely.
    Thanks for the reply, I was hoping you would turn up!

I've checked all the fuses and they're all good. As for switch do you mean the headlight stalk? If so I've just plugged in another one and its still the same.

Not sure if it helps but one thing I did note is that the headlights don't pop up when I pull the stalk to "flash" the lights.

A little more searching tells me there are some more relays in the engine bay, is this right? Are they in the box under the airbox?

Rides
    Yeah the pop up relays are in the box under the air filter

Rides
    The valet switch by-passes retract relay 4. That's in the box near the battery.

It's coil is powered by more than one circuit. It has diodes wired as "OR" function so any of 3 inputs raise lamps but don't power each other. The diodes are in a block connector somewhere in the centre console - see page EL88, have to take the radio out and scout around. As the diodes are low current they can only power a relay coil - about 0.2A. Pull too much current though them and they will burn out. 5w test bulb will pull 0.4A, so a instrument panel bulb at about 2W would be safer as a test load.

Rides
    Thanks for the help guys, I don't have access to my tools until tomorrow,so I'll have to leave checking the relays and behind the stereo till then.

Rides
    Turned out to be a broken wire running to the grounding point just behind the battery. A few swear words and some time with a soldering iron and heat shrink sorted it.