Thread: Max revs on Ca18det with tomei poncams?

Rides

Max revs on Ca18det with tomei poncams?

Hi,
    I have a Ca18det fully forged with Tomei 256 cams, garret GTX3076, 1000cc injectors, and Link G4 standalone ECU.
    I have red in somewhere that with Tomei 256 poncams (OEM springs and valves) I can set up the revs limit in 8000...
    Can be possible?
    Thanks a lot

Rides
    It's about the max the stock lifters can manage but you could probably go up to 8000 if you want.

Any higher and you'll want solid lifters, better springs etc etc

Banned
    Rides
    You can set the rev limit to 15.000 if you want ... revving higher brings tons of problems, like cavitating water and oil pumps, vibrations, and an overall need to have a perfectly balanced engine with tighter tolerances. It is not just a matter of valvetrain.

The real question is "do you NEED to run 8000rpm, or do you just want to because it looks cool" ?

rpm shown on the dash is wrong BTW. You are hardly running 7400rpm when it shows 7800. Call it nissan's way to prevent people from overrevs... So yes you can run 8000 "dash rpm" . Not sure 256 cams are enough to provide power at 8000 though...

Rides
    Obviusly I want to set up this because I need it, big turbos on small engines requires more rpm to give much more power.
    The difference between 7500 and 8000 rpm could be probably more than 30hp.
    So, I will set up the revs limit in 7800 and I will see what happens with the engine.

The next stage is tomei 272 procams with solid lifters, tomei springs,... So, with this setup I will run 8600 rpm
    Thanks a lot!

Rides
    the standard rev limit on the JDM CA18 is 8000, iirc.

it's obviously not going to generate any meaningful power at that range with a T25, but it shows that nissan weren't overly worried about it.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Banned
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by s13530cv View Post
    Obviusly I want to set up this because I need it, big turbos on small engines requires more rpm to give much more power.
    The difference between 7500 and 8000 rpm could be probably more than 30hp.
    So, I will set up the revs limit in 7800 and I will see what happens with the engine.

The next stage is tomei 272 procams with solid lifters, tomei springs,... So, with this setup I will run 8600 rpm
    Thanks a lot!
    Believe me, i know what a big turbo on a ca18Det means. Yours is still small That turbo should be spooling near 4000rpm.

And i also know 256cams are not going to cut it, because 260/10.25 lift are not. Go 264in 272ex if you want power at 8000-8500, and dont forget the solid lifters (good luck finding the shims too).

But then you need a proper underdrive damper pulley and a balanced crank assembly. And a strong gearbox... You will never use the kind of power that turbo gives without killing the gearbox fast; and if your short engine is not prepped for it either, it will just produce metal scaps.

My tuner is currently having a nice deal on Z33 gearbox machined to fit a CA18DET if someone is interested BTW. I think the whole kit is around 3800€ (euros, not £, and that is INCLUDING a brand new gearbox from nissan, he got a deal with them). You can supply your own if you want. That is the only 6spd gearbox i know you wont break with a 600HP setup

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by croustibat View Post
    Believe me, i know what a big turbo on a ca18Det means. Yours is still small That turbo should be spooling near 4000rpm.

And i also know 256cams are not going to cut it, because 260/10.25 lift are not. Go 264in 272ex if you want power at 8000-8500, and dont forget the solid lifters (good luck finding the shims too).

But then you need a proper underdrive damper pulley and a balanced crank assembly. And a strong gearbox... You will never use the kind of power that turbo gives without killing the gearbox fast; and if your short engine is not prepped for it either, it will just produce metal scaps.

My tuner is currently having a nice deal on Z33 gearbox machined to fit a CA18DET if someone is interested BTW. I think the whole kit is around 3800€ (euros, not £, and that is INCLUDING a brand new gearbox from nissan, he got a deal with them). You can supply your own if you want. That is the only 6spd gearbox i know you wont break with a 600HP setup
    Z33

Yes, I know what you mean (Also I have a gtx3582r ready to go in)
    I am looking for a Z32 gearbox, but can you send me to info@jrparts.es the email of your tuner? I am interested in the Z33 gearbox conversion, but I have the Z33 gearbox in my warehouse.

The pieces are not a problem because I am a supplier of car parts (The largest of japanese car parts in Spain), but really I don't want to remove the CA18head at the moment, once I have ****** it, I will upgrade the head with 272 cams and solid lifters
    My crankshaft is balanced but I don't have the pulley, so, I believe 7800 rpm revs will be good.

Banned
    Rides
    The problem with Z32 gearboxes ais actually finding one that is not on its way out already. My tuner adapted one before going the Z33 route ... and it is now making noise you actually dont want to hear from a gearbox. It lasted a couple of months. I am quite sure he can sell the hardware needed for that too. He went the Z33 route for that very reason

I know it needs an adapting plate, and there is some machine work involved on the gearbox itself, other than that i dont really know what is involved. If you are in the north of spain, you could pay him a visit, he is in the south of France, near Toulouse. He is sometimes looking for and supplying various jap parts, maybe you could do some business together. I will mail you some contact info.

7800rpm is ok, just dont bounce on the rev limiter all the time

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    the standard rev limit on the JDM CA18 is 8000, iirc.
    I read somewhere that the CA limit was set at 7800 on the JDM and 7500 on the UK, and the SR20 numbers were 7200 on the UK and 7500 on the JDM. So a 300rpm lowering for the export models, presumably because of the removal of the JDM speed limiter?

I'm fairly sure Jez posted the last time I made the 7800rpm claim and said that he'd looked at the maps and couldn't see a difference... Might be remembering wrong though

Rides
    I am waiting a Z32 Gearbox from a friend, so I hope it goes good.
    I live in Madrid, so Toulouse it is a bit far from me

If you can, please give me the email of him or give him my email, I am interested in the Z33 gearbox conversion
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by croustibat View Post
    The problem with Z32 gearboxes ais actually finding one that is not on its way out already. My tuner adapted one before going the Z33 route ... and it is now making noise you actually dont want to hear from a gearbox. It lasted a couple of months. I am quite sure he can sell the hardware needed for that too. He went the Z33 route for that very reason

I know it needs an adapting plate, and there is some machine work involved on the gearbox itself, other than that i dont really know what is involved. If you are in the north of spain, you could pay him a visit, he is in the south of France, near Toulouse. He is sometimes looking for and supplying various jap parts, maybe you could do some business together. I will mail you some contact info.

7800rpm is ok, just dont bounce on the rev limiter all the time