Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ibanez giutar tuning issue :(

Rides
    Think it might be this:-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psd47ec29d.jpg

The part the bridge swivels on seems to be angled like the low E's been over tightened at some stage, perhaps it's now moving slightly

Dunc

Rides
    The mounting stud does took to be leaning forward, it should be straight. Can't say it's a problem I've seen before. I'd remove the tremolo and have a look at the stud. It's basically a bolt that screws into a threaded insert in the guitar body. The insert should be solidly fitted and the mounting stud should cleanly screw into the insert.

Rides
    Taken apart and yes both the inserts are slack and the knife edges aren't looking too pretty because of it.

Thanks for the help btw

Dunc.
    Last edited by dunc; 16-12-2012 at 20:44.

Rides
    That's a bugger

So the insert which is pushed into the body is loose?

This picture shows the insert and stud (on the left a stud screwed into the insert, in the middle the just threaded stud and on the right just the splined insert). The stud will feel lose in the stud, much the same as a lose nut on a thread. But the insert should be solidly pushed into the body and shouldn't move at all.

Rides
    Yeah that's right the inserts are loose.

Cheers,

Dunc.

Rides
    I can't say I've come across that before. In theory it would be possible to remove them, fill the holes with chemical metal, then re-drill and refit the inserts. Or you could just remove them, splodge some chemical metal into the holes and refit them while the chemical metal is still fluid, being sure to keep them straight while it cures.

The knife edges can be sharpened with a file, you want them about as sharp as a butter knife, no sharper.

Rides
    Sounds pretty drastic, not exactly the quick fix I had in mind, I'll probs phone a guitar shop tomorrow and see what they say then give the person I bought it off the option of getting it sent back or fixed. It's a shame because I like it but a guitar that doesn't stay in tune isn't any good either!

Dunc.

Rides
    If you've only just bought it from a shop take it back

Rides
    Good old eBay lol

Rides
    I doubt you'll get much joy then

Rides
    I've sent a message to the seller, surely if not as described I've got a good case of complaint?

I'll see what response I get and also what the guitar repair place say.

Dunc.

Rides
    Let us know how you get on. Shame you're not closer as I'd be happy to sort it and set it up for you I you get no joy from the seller.

Rides
    I have just skim read this thread. But maybe you should use something to block the tremolo so it cannot move like a bit of wood or something. I prefer hard tail guitars to avoid issues like this.

Rides
    Cheers Jem and Malc, I contacted the seller today to say that the guitar repair shop recommended that it got sent back to Ibanez by the previous owner. Hopefully it'll go back and I'll get a refund, bit of a waste of time but that's the risk of buying S/H online I suppose.

Dunc.

Rides
    Finally the postage company picked this up (useless toads ) and it got returned to the eBayer I bought it off and full refund. Not the end of the world but total waste of time.

Dunc.

Rides
    Glad you got it sorted in the end. What are you planing on replacing it with?

Rides
    Don't know tbh, was just looking for an Ibanez or similar already equiped with EMG's as a daily hack - think I'm going to wear out my RG2550 at this rate lol.

I've noticed a lot of new guitars are coming out with straight through necks these days so might be best to buy a new guitar?

Dunc.

Rides
    Perhaps something like this:-

http://bcrich.com/models/guitars-and...ASM/ASM-Pro/50

Approx £560 new.

Never tried one but my old man buys random guitars and got a BC rich with straight neck and (budget version) EMG's for £200 with hard case recently, might borrow it for a week or so and see if I like it.

Or

Something like this (but wrong pickups)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-RGT...item2a27c536bd

Probs go for about £200?

Dunc.

Rides
    I had one of those as my first guitar! High end of the neck felt nice and fast, though the low end for some reason always felt sluggish. The neck through is nice, and you can access all 24 frets.

Due to the VAST amount of mahogany (its a heavy guitar) with the standard pickups its a very "muddy" guitar sound wise, hard to describe really, exceptionally good for heavy metal, but wouldnt say it personally cut the mustard for blues as nothing really jumped out tone wise.

I would have expected the finish on both the tremlo and pickup surrounds and tone knobs to be more worn to be honest, as the anodised finish wears with use.

I prefer the BC rich neck through, lighter for a start! or if your budget can stretch, a well used N4 would be my weapon of choice for neck access!

Edit:

Or this N3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WASHBURN-r...item416fa6a9d4
    Last edited by Vez; 10-01-2013 at 08:33.

Rides
    Cheers for the opinoins Vez

The Nuno's are quite cool but no enough frets for me

Dunc.