Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ibanez giutar tuning issue :(

Rides

Ibanez giutar tuning issue :(

Hi,

Looking for some advice on a guitar I just bought from eBay, it's second hand (about 6 months old?) but appears to be barely used, it's in great condition. The problem is when I was tuning it up it doesn't seem to stay in tune, especially if you move the tremelo. For example it you move the tremolo down it stays flat (doesn't return to the same place) and likewise if you move the tremolo up is stays sharp.

I've taken the back off to have a look to find what appears to be a couple of damaged springs? Do you think this is the cause of the problems and fitting two new springs will fix the problem completely?

I'm assuming these springs will be readily available from Ibanez? I would probably replace all three for consistancy.

The guitar in question is an Ibanez GEO, here's a pic of the springs and also a pic of the bridge area for reference:-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps6aa27baa.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps6a515abb.jpg

Thanks,

Duncan.

Rides
    More than likely. The springs are supposed to return the arm to the correct position.

Rides
    Those too kinks in the springs shouldn't be there, and could be the cause. You should be able to get some from your local guitar shop, they are not really model specific, any tremolo springs with a loop one end and a 90 degree bend the other will work. Replace all three though. You can get them on eBay too.

Are you sure the three clamps at the nut are tight enough, as that will cause the issue you have?

Rides
    Yep replace all three, also check that the clamp that spring loop end attaches to hasn't pulled away from the body.

Rides
    Cheers lads, I'll check the nuts too Jem

Dunc.

Rides
    Personally I don't think the springs are the cause, but I would replace them. I expect the strings are slipping through the nut clamps.

Rides
    Tightened the nuts further and no difference so I'll go ahead and try to get some springs

Dunc.

Rides
    Could be worth slackening the strings with the machine heads, so they are lose above the nut, if the strings then only go flat, it shows they are slipping through the nut, if it still goes flat, sharp like you described then it must be the tremolo.

Rides
    I've now replaced the springs (using some from another giutar). It now seems to keep tune on drops but still the same probelm with pulling the bridge up (resets to sharp).

Jem, I've tried slackening the bottom string completely at the machine head and it's still the same. like you said I'd expect it to slip down and down it there was slip at the nuts.

Dunc.

Rides
    Aren't the springs supposed to compensate for the string tension?

If the strings were slipping through the nut, I would have thought they'd only go flat

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dunc View Post
    Jem, I've tried slackening the bottom string completely at the machine head and it's still the same. like you said I'd expect it to slip down and down it there was slip at the nuts.

Dunc.
    Does the other guitar have a tremolo you could borrow the springs from?
    Last edited by Jem; 16-12-2012 at 12:06.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Aren't the springs supposed to compensate for the string tension?

If the strings were slipping through the nut, I would have thought they'd only go flat
    If the strings were slipping a little through the nut they will go both flat or sharp depending on either pressing down or pulling up on the tremolo. You either need them to be fully locked with a locking nut as in this case, or in the case of a simple slotted nut as found on a Stratocaster, you need as little friction as possible to allow the strings to slide back and forth to the correction tension.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    If the strings were slipping a little through the nut they will go both flat or sharp depending on either pressing down or pulling up on the tremolo. You either need them to be fully locked with a locking nut as in this case, or in the case of a simple slotted nut as found on a Stratocaster, you need as little friction as possible to allow the strings to slide back and forth to the correction tension.
    Ah yeah - got it now

Rides
    Love the use of a spoon, that's a new one on me

Try this one:

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Does the other guitar have a tremolo you could borrow the springs from?
    Hi Jem, think you missed the bit where I said I'd replaced the springs (from the other guitar). I've also ruled out the nuts being the problem as it does the same regardless of whether the nuts are in or not - you can still see the bridge reset into different positions. Also I've tried backing the machine heads right off with the nuts tight and they seem ok.

I'll try adjusting the spring tension, getting hacked off now though (scrached my good giutar removing the springs ). If I can't get it sorted today it's going back, never had any problems with a floyd rose before tbh.

Oh and a deck of cards it the way I've always used

Cheers,

Dunc.
    Last edited by dunc; 16-12-2012 at 12:29.

Rides
    Sorry, I misread springs as strings

Does sound an odd one, the tremolo is not catching on anything is it?

Rides
    One min, think I've got it....

Rides
    Nope still the same, the four neck bolts took a good tighten but no difference. Can't see anything blocking the trem, will continue the investigations

Dunc.

Rides
    The neck screws want to be very tight, for stability and sustain.

If you remove the strings from the tremolo end and unclip the strings, the tremolo will fall out so you can check it can move freely, the knife edges are sharp and correctly located etc.