Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another problem with my s13

Rides

another problem with my s13

So was deiving today and seen loads od smoke coming from under the bonnet on the drivers side. And the engine temperature went up a bit. So i stoped. And the water was coming from the reservior tank. Was boiling as hell. And i have no idea of what might cause this. Ice been told that i need that plastic surround on a viscus fan. Or some electric fans stucked to the rad. But the rad seens to be colled down properly. Anyone.please hel as im feed up with it allready

Rides
    You do need the fan shroud if you do a lot of stop start.

Was there water in the rad?

Rides
    Ah ok. So i need to get one then.
    And yeah the rad was filled up

Rides
    i have run mine with no shroud fr 18months and no problems! I have got one you can have if you want! u around 2m matt? im free all day pretty much!
    I had this prob on my previous engine i will have a look for you but could be many things! :-(

Rides
    Well yeah tell me what time and ill be at home waiting. I did just changed thethermostat so hopefully that will sort it out but still my concerns is the fuel usage. As it is bad as hell.

Rides
    You should run with a shroud, but at this time of year its highly unlikely to be the problem. If the system is pressurising and chucking water out into the overflow tank then it's my guess that you've got a bust head gasket and that it is exhaust gasses getting into the water channels and pressurising the system.

Rides
    if the timing is advanced a bit too much this will cause your engine to run slightly hotter but shouldn't be enough to chuck water out the expansion!
    Have you lost any water at all?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
    You should run with a shroud, but at this time of year its highly unlikely to be the problem. If the system is pressurising and chucking water out into the overflow tank then it's my guess that you've got a bust head gasket and that it is exhaust gasses getting into the water channels and pressurising the system.
    i know you probably should run it i was just saying i have run for over 18months without it with no problems!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
    THIS.

The head gasket will have punched through into the waterways pressurising the cooling system and sending boiling water into the expansion tank.

Re: shroud. I've run without one for over 6 years and no issues whatsoever. People have had problems if a) they run without the shroud AND the undertray b) they drift (as this means making a lot of heat whilst not moving forward as quickly as normal) c) where their cooling system is clogged up due to running without anti-freeze.

However, as others are saying.. cooling isn't your problem immediate problem. Your head gasket is gone. Possibly this is due to overheating due to the timing being off, the water pump packing up or not running proper levels of coolant.

Rides
    Is it a pain ain the ass to do the head gasket?? And yeah there was loads of water coming from the overflow tank. Even after the car was switched off. But then the last week seemed to be fine. No problems with overheating until today

Rides
    not too bad doing HG (if it has gone) you getting any smoke out exhaust?
    Will have a good look 2m for you probs about 1130-12??

Rides
    The head gasket can be done with the engine still on the car but some people take the engine out as its a bit 50/50 as to what makes it easier.

Are you planning to do it yourself or get someone to do it ?

If its DIY, plan on a whole day and take LOTS of pics of where everything goes.

If its a mechanic that knows what they are doing 3-4 hours I would guess.

Use a genuine Nissan gasket set and don't forget to trace the original source of the problem and fix that (so figure on a new genuine Nissan water pump at least - don't get a cheap copy). While its being done, you might as well do the cam belt unless its been done recently. Gates do a good reasonably priced kit.

You're looking at £150 for the gasket set, maybe £30 to have the head skimmed if its warped, £60 for the cam belt, £50 for the water pump, £50 for other "stuff" plus £160 (@ £40/hr) for labour so about £500 to get someone to do it.

Skimping on the gasket set, water pump and cam belt set will see you doing the job again quite quickly.

Rides
    Yeah around 12 will be good for me. Well it smokes a bit when i start it and the engine is cold but when the engine warms up its fine. I think.

Uff £500 for all of this...og god. Probably vould pivk up anotjer engine for that kind of money lol hehe.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by blackss13 View Post
    Yeah around 12 will be good for me. Well it smokes a bit when i start it and the engine is cold but when the engine warms up its fine. I think.

Uff £500 for all of this...og god. Probably vould pivk up anotjer engine for that kind of money lol hehe.
    Only if you get someone else to do it and you might get an engine but you won't get an engine swap for that sort of money.

Rides
    Well could be a thermostat faulty?? Please say that it might be an option. I did fit a new one today and it wwas ok but only drove it few miles. Also i had problems with heating up the engine as it took me up to 30 minutes of driving to warm it up. So that might give sokeone a clue of whats wrong.

Rides
    i'd do ur HG for you if you got all the bits but lets confirm its that 1st when mine was spewing water out expansion it wasn't hg there are a few other possibilities it could be.

If you wanna rule out the stat just remove it temporarily!!

Rides
    are your heaters working properly??

Banned
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by blackss13 View Post

500£ is cheap for that... Really what do you expect ? You can surely pickup another blown engine, or soon to die one for that kind of money, for sure.

But TBH if 500£ to do something right is already too much, you really have bought the wrong car.

Rides
    If your rad is cold then it is blocked.

A rad should be warm all over. Inlet 82-88°C, outlet about 60°C. A cold spot or tube means no hot flow though it.

Rides
    I think he has checked his rad for flow etc but probably worth checking again!

RE- Rad inlet temp my gauge reads 78 degrees at full running temp is this ok or should i put a different stat in??