Thread: Brake disks and pads? Pre facelift UK spec

Rides

Brake disks and pads? Pre facelift UK spec

I'm currently restoring a car that's been sat a number of years, or, I would be if I wasn't a 7 hour train journey away from it for university!

I've got most of the bits I need for getting it MOT ready, but as the car's been sat so long, it'll need new disks and pads.

Few quick questions:
    I know it's a bit of a no-no, but just how bad is it to simply clean the disks? It's been sat for a few years, at least 4. This is just to get it through MOT, then I can spend the time fitting a set of front and back R33 calipers my brother has up for grabs.

Are the calipers likely to be screwed? Or will they be easy enough to get going with just retracting the piston and bleeding the system?

Where's best to get pads from on the cheap? I'm currently driving a 35 year old Reliant Scimitar with drums on the back, so I doubt it could possibly be much worse. Again, they'll be uprated soon anyway.
    If you strongly suggest not just cleaning the disks, same question as above for the disks. Where's cheapest?

Also worth mentioning, there may be a second set of R33 calipers and disks available. If anyone's interested, let me know and I'll pass you on to my brother.

Banned
    Rides
    Best way to clean them ? Use the car. If the calipers are seized, not much you can do about it unless you disassemble them.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by croustibat View Post
    Best way to clean them ? Use the car. If the calipers are seized, not much you can do about it unless you disassemble them.
    This as long as its drivable! i got a new set of pagid discs and pads from euro car parts yesterday for £44.50 with sxoc discount code good quality too!
    caliper rebuild kits are quite cheap and its quite an easy job refurbing them.

did them pipes get to you ok qwerty?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    This as long as its drivable! i got a new set of pagid discs and pads from euro car parts yesterday for £44.50 with sxoc discount code good quality too!
    caliper rebuild kits are quite cheap and its quite an easy job refurbing them.

did them pipes get to you ok qwerty?
    Yes ta mate Not had chance to test fit them yet as I'm still in sunny Wales but the parents say they've got there.

£44.50 for 4 disks and 4 sets of pads? Seems like exactly what I'm after. I'll have to check out how much more they are without the discount, not much point in me paying for membership before I've got a road legal car
    Car will go straight to the MOT station once it's ready, as I won't insure it before I know I can drive it, so there won't be any driving to clean the old disks, just a warmup for emissions.

Just got to bung the intercooler piping and airbox in, get the brakes working, install a headlamp and I can take it for pre-MOT

Edit: Ok Pointz, what's your secret? £32.34 for front pads £34.74 for rear, £27.54 each for front disks, and I can't find rear disks. That's £94.62 before I've even got rear disks!
    Last edited by Qwertypolk; 13-12-2012 at 09:25.

Banned
    Rides
    When i say "drive it", i mean "find a 100m straight, go 30mph then brake" a couple of times. Nothing more

otherwise use emery paper (or wire), but both will take quite some time, and breathing rust + brake powder is not exactly fun.

Rides
    Pre-Facelift brake parts are so cheap on eBay (pair of Brembo discs £35 ) but rear discs are expensive because they're also a drum for the handbrake.

£13 Front Pads http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-200...-/170781149721
    £35 Brembo Front Discs http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-200...-/271055830329
    £17 Rear Pads http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-PADS...-/190693301511
    £70 Rear Discs http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S13-200SX-...-/110312728642

Double check these are all the right one's before you order!