Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: JZS14 Silvia

Rides
    trial fitted the seats, both clear the cage....well just touch against it but it's enough that they will still move on the rails

it's ridiculous the difference in height with the bride low rail compared to the recaro rail on the passenger side

will be looking for a bride low rail for passenger side in near future!!

made holes for the rear harness mounts so the harness eye hook's are all fitted

I NEED CAGE PADDING NEXT!

i've taken off the intercooler brackets and will be modifying them as the core sits too far over at one side, plus will mean i can get the bottom pulled in more so i won't have to modify as much of the bumper to fit!

got an order through from driftworks over the holidays, tein track rods and ends with spacer, kinked tension rods, t shirt and offset spacer boots however i'm going modified crossmember if i can

made myself a pipe beader for intercooler pipes, seen this idea online so made my own, it's just an old pair of vise grips with a 70mm exhaust clamp and a smaller 40mm clamp bar welded on

works perfect

last few bits from toyota arrived, thermostat, jzx90 dipstick tube, p/s pipe washers

replaced every vacuum pipe on the engine, also removed the pipework for the carbon cannister crap, also fitted an mbc at the turbo's to do me till i get an electronic one

old crap

i've ran a wire into cabin for water temp gauge tucked along the spark plug loom along with a vacuum pipe for greddy gauge, tested my water temp gauge with sensor in a cup of boiling water and got no reading, gauge is either dead or sensor is broken so i'm waiting to hear back from ebay seller now.....

replaced the thermostat, purely just for peace of mind, no idea how old it is/if it worked,

fitted a genuine toyota 82 degrees one

changing it was crap, should have done this when the engine was out on a stand!!

gapped plugs to 0.028 and fitted them, wrapped some insulating tape around the coils while they were out, should really have used heatshrink but had none with me

fitted them and as usual with jz's 5/6 of my coil pack clips were broken haha, need some new ones!

have done a few other things on the list! throttle cable is now secured into the pedal and i've adjusted the cable at the throttle body so it's shut when pedal is untouched and fully open when pedal is flat to the floor
    Last edited by Jonny Mac; 10-01-2014 at 23:37.

Rides
    nothing much has been done to the car as we've had a week of hell!

we bought a puppy on saturday the 11th, a wee golden lab 7/8 weeks old

eddie

unfortunately after just 2 days he was very ill, he had picked up something from the farm he was on when we bought him

then was rushed into the emergency ward in the hospital quarintined with suspected parvo virus

he hasn't had any jabs yet so his immune system is basically non exsistant, got to see him every night at the hospital

annoyingly i had to foot the bill for the hospital which put it this way, i could have had that 6boost manifold i wanted.....as the breeder wanted nothing to do with it and his insurance doesnt start till the 26th of this month

anyway he's home now and on the recovery

so i've only had a very few hours this week on the car......

had to cancel my tow truck as i had no chance of getting it to work with the dog problem

swapped wheels over though so it's ready to be taken over to my work

i have modified the intercooler brackets so the core will sit central and can tuck in better at the back

got a 14a bumper for skidding, just a standard uk black one to save the kouki greddy bumper combo till i get better

few more parts have arrived like boost hoses and some stuff i needed for it

bought some fabulous profounds vip jdm wheels, 18x9 et20 iirc for skidding

also have been using my pipe beader on every intercooler pipe so they're ready for fitting minus a few bungs on one pipe

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Sorry to hear about the pup mate. Hope he makes a full recovery ASAP.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Dude that's a real shame, hopefully Eddie feels better soon!

I have some blue foam from my cusco cage I'd sell if you wanted it?

Rides
    Cool skid rims! Cute dog good to hear he's on the mend!

Rides
    Can't wait to see this finished. Hope the puppy makes a full recovery.

Rides
    Just wanted to say im happy to hear eddie is on the mend, nice car and all but really glad he is doing A ok!!

Rides
    got some time on the car last night for the first time in 2 weeks nearly!,

managed to get the modified intercooler brackets on and the core now sits perfectly central and is tucked in tight at the bottom

the crank sensor and o2 lambda sensor loom has been secured correctly on the original bracket bolted to the front turbo

got the greddy boost gauge fitted in place on the dash with the brackets screwed in, need to find a light source that comes on with the lights on the dash, may just steal a feed from the back of the clocks

also got a second coat of silver paint on the battery tray and the other side where the i/c pipes go through to protect the area from rusting

found a wire at the alternator plug that has broken insulation and is down to just a few strings of wire holding it together, one of the 3 small wires on the alternator multi plug, so i'll have to remove the pin from the plug and solder it back onto a good bit of wire before it breaks!

Rides
    my fiancée has been reading over my shoulder and needs to know how eddie is getting on.

Rides
    haha, yeh he's getting better thanks, slowly 'firming' out with his shits now and less blood which is a good thing, starting to put on weight rather than loose it, hopefully he'll get his first set of injections this weekend then it's a few weeks till the next then we can walk him.....so be it over a month late but it's something to look forward to!!

got another night on the car tonight

all the intercooler pipework is on and tightened just need a few more jubilee clips now which i'll order at work tomorrow,

I managed to get the local welding shop to bung the recirc and cold start pipe on one of the pipes

also soldered the wiring loom for the greddy gauge as both earth points for the bulbs had broke off the holders on the gauge

being towed to my work on Friday night woohoo! then i'll hopefully get sunday on the car to make the exhaust and do a few bits left underneath and hopefully it'll be moving for the first time next week

Rides
    edited.
    Last edited by Jonny Mac; 02-02-2014 at 22:38.

Rides
    Looking forward to the noise!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross. View Post
    Looking forward to the noise!!
    same man!

I'm going to make the exhaust up to the standard s14 backbox flange so I can have a quick change backbox for straight pipe whenever I need more noise

either way once it goes single turbo later this year it'll sound mega with an external wastegate

Rides
    big update!! got all day saturday and sunday morning spent on the car

took my intercooler pipe over to a local welding shop and managed to get them to plate over the standard s14 recirc and cold start pipe

thanks to spice weasel for doing my lower arms and cross member

got the rack moved 25mm and +20mm in the lower arms and braced them

for the first time it came out the garage in months, looking ridiculous with standard suspension on the front

threw a battery in for lights and it was towed to my work, many thanks to mark (redsx)

so, up on the ramp saturday morning and the work started

welded on an exhaust hanger to the steevo gearbox mount bracket

then fitted an sr20 solid gktech mount to replace the worn old weak sr mount that came with my gearbox

secured the fuel pipes with more P clips in places that i couldn't get to properly lying on my back

then josh came over and i cannot thank him enough for welding up the exhaust joins, i'd bought a box on ebay of 3" offcuts from an exhaust fab shop with various bends etc

managed to get enough bends and straights made up to fit the car

started off my fitting the soarer downpipe retaining the flexi, then it needed shortening by around 2 inches as the flange sat too low

so the soarer downpipe was shortened and tacked into place then a few small bends were tacked into place to get the angle right for facing the back of the car

then welding and pipe making started

me on the left and josh on the right

one jz to s14 apex backbox pipe made up

then heat wrapped the downpipe, i'll be doing the rest but i ran out of metal tie wraps

and fitted, going to spray the welds with paint to protect them a little better and heat wrap more of the pipe

mates up to the apex backbox perfectly

not a very good pic but the coolant temp sensor was removed, the adapter fitted and now the universal gauge sensor fitted so i can run an aftermarket gauge on the dash using the factory coolant temp sensor hole

then onto the air intake, i bought a mushroom filter and mounted it as far away from the heat as possible

don't have any pics but i pressure tested the intercooler system from throttle body end to turbo end and it seems one of the brand new artel motorsport elbow's has a pin hole causing a leak!! annoying!!

also removed the 2 of the alternator multi plug wires and replaced them with new wires onto the crimps inside the plug. 2/3 were at that point of breaking off so i'd rather do it now than at the side of the road!

fitted the other side of the gearbox clutch inspection cover so i've now got a genuine toyota pair of covers fitted

oh and a dipstick arrived at toyota for the jzx90 finally after the tube arriving a few weeks ago

then got onto the cooling system stuff
    -smoothed off the water neck as it had a sharp edge from cutting off the bend
    -fitted rad
    -fitted both coolant top and bottom pipes
    -8mm hose going from rad to expansion tank

just need to get some brackets made up to hold it in place as right now i have s14 brackets and tie wraps

put in 3 litres of pink new coolant and around 5 litres of water in total so far, it took around 15 minutes to fill constantly squeezing the pipes to try bubble air out

hopefully a fair bit of air is now out so it'll be easier to bleed when i start it up later

also did various little jobs too like wrapped up the battery cables in wire casing blah blah blah

then it'll be tested out around my work's yard car park and back in for the front suspension/steering work to begin and will be taking off all remaining surface rust with grinder and stone chipping the rest of the chassis.
    Last edited by Jonny Mac; 02-02-2014 at 22:36.

Rides
    unfortunately the top radiator hose pipe leaks where it was welded/modified, it has a few pin holes from the welding so I'm going to take it to a local welding shop and ask them if they can grind it down and re weld over it

filled the car up with 7 litres mix of water/coolant yesterday, came into work this morning to a small puddle on the floor where it had leaked out overnight

Rides
    so after filling the coolant up i came into work the next morning to find a small puddle on the floor

turns out the modified rad water next has a few pin holes from welding

so the rad is now at another welding shop being sorted and will hopefully be 100% sealed next time i get it back

lucky i didnt start the car as it would have sprayed everywhere

so moving onto wed night's work, got some of the stuff going onto the cars front suspension setup:

front geomaster hubs
    replacement front wheel bearings
    modded lower arms
    tein rods and ends
    offset spacers for now till i fit the modded cross member
    bigger rack boots
    cs2 coilovers with a new boot in one as it had torn after a few months on the road

(not all in this pic)

will be stripping the tension rods and greasing fully all the threads, same with the tein rods, a wee squirt of oil inside the rod end too stops threads siezing inside,

going to get the front bearings packed up with extra grease and fit them onto the geomaster hubs before going onto the car

started to remove the old stuff from the car, undone the calipers, tie rods from the rack, undone the tension rod bolts, lower arm bolts, abs sensors and shockers

arb's off too. not sure if i'll be putting it back on

empty arches ready for grinding any surface rust and stone chipping will look really good too!!

also please excuse all the jubilee clips, that was just to get a pipe to seal

Stu@GarageSR, Aberdeen GarageSR's Avatar
    Rides
    For fcuk sake, are you not finished this yet?

Clickme

Rides
    got the rad back today from the welders, said he done 3 passes on it to make sure it was definately sealed

also the lower arms arrived, extended 20mm and braced

gave them a coat in black paint, will give them a second coat later

called dan at dbpower, got some braided black front hoses coming for the brakes too,

looking for some r33 gtr brembo calipers and discs, i believe the discs on those will clear the lower arms better with the lock mods

Rides
    nice build man

Rides
    busy weekend on the car

tested the radiator with a garden hose and it spat back out of the hose pipe before leaking out of any welds which is a good sign

got to work with cleaning the arches with a wire brush wheel on the grinder, this took forever, progress pic:

2 coats later, done the arches and underneath of the car along the floor, i've left out the sills for now so i didn't spray all over the ramp/workshop walls

going to clean the sills then spray them at home simply because i'd never be able to clean any overspray off the walls of the workshop

freshly sprayed

dry

with the arches clean i moved onto the suspension, started stripping the cs2 coilovers for cleaning and regreasing,

also replaced a torn boot on one

then moved onto the lower arms, moog ball joints pressed in and some energy suspension poly bushes

fitted the driftworks offset rack spacers, used loads of loctite 270 strong for this, used my massive ratchet to tighten them on and left for many hours for the liquid to dry

then the lower arms and tension rods went on, the tension rods have been stripped and threads fully greased both inside and out

then the tein rods, these were fitted again with the same ammount of loctite, also used the supplied 6mm spacer for extra lock

then on went the cs2's, geomaster hubs, bearings and tein rod ends

oh and also the driftworks rack boot, not too happy with it as it hits the lower arm bolt, it'll tear in no time i bet....

and the lock offered looks insane....i need to fabricate lock stops though

can see my tie wrap spec screen wash bottle

still to tighten on the bearings and set ride height, then allign it all

the front bumper was cut down to fit around the intercooler core

managed to retain the factory fog lights too since my i/c pipe work has a little more clearance than normal

strut brace was fitted too

also picked up some r33 gtr black 4 pot brembo calipers tonight from a local guy so i'll be buying discs and possibly pads from conceptua, not properly looked at pad condition but the guy said they have racing ferrodo brake pads currently fitted

and my db power hoses arrived

alot of interior work left but apart from that it's making good progress