Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: JZS14 Silvia

Rides
    Aaahhhh man this is awesome! Getting close now

Rides
    Why would anyone put those horrible engines in lovely s14's???

This car sucks like Henry the Hoover!

Rides
    haha guys

got the car towed over to my work, thanks mike (mpig) for the tow!

got it up on the ramp to go over a few things

spaced down my gearbox mount as a temp solution, i waited 3 MONTHS for this and it doesnt fit 100%....it'll have to be cut and modified

looking around underneath the car, the gearbox bel housing sits seriously close....

i'm going to take the engine back out and try dent that area in to create a bigger space

took the heater box down a little and managed to get the loom through the hole, wasn't ideal i think next time i'll remove it

connected up a few more bits and bobs like battery cable, brake booster pipe, and a few others then attempted to start it

led to this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTYkqM0k6M4

was one of those things that stick on your mind and annoy you until it's fixed!

few issues, the ecu relay was not switching the ecu on as it was wired backwards

traced it down to the ecu not giving pulse for the injectors

I replaced the crank sensor first in the engine as that's what i was led to believe wouldn't give a signal to the ecu to make fuel and tried again, nothing....

then went for a look at the cam sensor, found the rear sensor had a broken wire

got the spare plug from my other engine loom and soldered the wires in so that was repaired

still exactly the same but can only be a little closer than it was with those issues sorted....

then after speaking to dale and dan from driftworks a few helpful things were mentioned

i ended up making new earths, one on the alternator, one on the bottom of the plenum i was missing, checked every other earth

then mark came over, cannot thank him enough for the help he's gave with the wiring! i'd still be standing screwing my face up at it all if it wasn't for him haha

basically we spent the evening checking out everything for power and so on. everything seemed fine, except the ecu would still not give signal pulse to the injectors for some reason

we ended up doing a fault code check with the noide light which had shown a few fault code flashes,

turns out i had a few error codes, we need to clear them and start again but for now it was coming up with a few, o2 sensor, air flow meter (i have a map sensor), vehicle speed sensor, IGF igniter verification

some of the codes could be because we have had things unplugged while the ignition was on for checks

anyway found out that for some reason the IGF wire had been cut on my ecu further up...it was my own fault for not checking, i'd always glanced at it and assumed it was an auto box wire cut to fool the auto ecu!!

anyway connected that wire back up and bingo....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfUaj5bpGcs

i have the hunting issue to sort out but i'll have to setup my TPS anyway as the throttle cable will be different etc

hopefully my propshaft from steevo will show up sooner rather than later as i've got alot of testing to do on this car as i've paid near £130 for the driftland weekender coming up in september

Rides
    some more updates! all this is rather unorganised now

right as things go:

steevo had sent my propshaft with his sizes away to the machine shop, 3 months later they send him it back and keep his sizes he told me.

finally got it back from him so i've taken my own sizes and the propshaft is now away at bailey morris being done!

i've taken a lever and managed to push back the bulkhead gently around where it was almost touching the gearbox bel housing so it now has a good clearance, saves pulling the engine out again

mounted the fuel filter bracket and fitted the z32 fuel filter up beside the engine, it's in a good place with lots of space around it on the inner chassis leg

got an s13 CA18det UK spec clutch master cylinder, bulkhead holes match up and it looks like it'll work perfectly, it has the bleeder on the top and the clutch pipe at the bottom which LOOKs like it's far enough away from the turbo pipe

i'll have to spin the clip around so the head doesnt touch the turbo pipe, it's a tight fit!

the mid mount core is in, it's now fitted with two bolts from the top slam pannel and will have two brackets welded to the bottom cross member for support

here's a funky picture, i've ordered some 90 degree bends for the pipes, and some reducers also, hardest part will be getting the metal pipes angles right!

i bought a brand new alloy rad from a guy on sxoc, it's an s13 CA18det rad with the oulets on the same side, i'll be able to chop the water neck now and not have the big pipe going across the front of everything

need some slimline fans now!

mark (redsx) came over and we finished the wiring, the car now has a working battery and oil pressure light on the dash! the wiring is still a big excessive but it'll do for now to get the car running,

i'm going to make another loom in the future using my spare 1j loom and an s14 loom, i'll be cutting out ALL of the extra stuff in a jz loom and heatshrinking the whole lot the same as one of the overpriced american looms you can buy online.

took out the heater box to make it easier to get the loom back through the bulkhead as it's the final time i'll be doing this!

FABRICAGE ARRIVED

brief mock up minus one door bar

tried the cage in, then marked out the palces for welding in the floor plates

had my mate josh come over as he is a welder. all the plates are now welded in solidly

IN!

love this pic...

and this one

car is starting to look serious now!

i strongly advise for any roll cage you guys speak to fabricage, pete has been an absolute 100% gem with customer service, really nice guy who knows it stuff and is very fair!

plus so far it looks like it'll be nowhere near my head compared to the apex cage!

got a spare 14a uk spec bumper which i'll be swapping for a black one for track days, also wired back in my HID headlight kit and everything works up the front now

thanks to dale i have one gearbox cover, just need the other side now which covers the slave cylinder pin and fork

have fitted the clutch fork and brand new toyota cylinder now to the gearbox

some castellated hose arrived for the matrix pipes and the rad pipes, this stuff is expensive :S

propshaft arrived back! all posh with my name on it it is only a front section now as they couldn't do me a full length prop

it has now got new universal joints both ends and has grease nipples so is serviceable

bailey are really good, i was £270 though but they have made a lovely job!

thanks to mike again for the tow away from my work! the car is now in another garage, thankfully it's a double so i'll have some space to crawl about when swapping subframes over

so thanks to dan at DB power i have a custom clutch hose made up, it's a full braided hose with banjo fitting into the s13 CA18 clutch cylinder

just need to fit it into the gearbox cylinder and find out if i have a clutch!

i also have now got chopping at more of the interior parts to get everything fitting around the cage

the door cards were basically cut in half, i've also trimmed back the white speaker plastic housings meaning i can keep door speakers

done the same with the dash

bit rough but it'll do for now

Rides

i bought some peugeot 306 fans, i need to make up some sort of wiring to do with these and the fan controller i have, the fans will also need the housing modified alot to fit onto my rad....

hopefully these will fit between the rad and the engine and run safe enough!

finally found a nice set of work e wings that are mint! they are from john f's new 180, i bought his rear volks aswell can't wait to see these on the car once they get some new tyres

my favourite wheels!! e wings!!!

finally cut out the bush inserts from the standard rear lower arms, they're now off to get powdercoated black to match the subframe, then have new balljoints and polybushes fitted

also bought a full rear arm allignment set, they are the hard bushed arms since i don't like rose joints

will soon be ready to have the subframe swapped, i need to buy some more brake parts and pick up some new rear hubs

Rides
    just been on the rock auto website

ordered 4xmoog ball joints

part number MOOG K9820

came to a total of $142.53 which is 90 quid so pretty good all in all

just need to get the arms powdercoated now

then i'll have all the z32/r33 brake shoes, discs and pads and 2 new rear bearings to buy then i'll have a full complete rear subframe to just straight swap onto my car

Rides
    it will be tidied up and sorted out but it's the flange i was looking for to fit the standard twin's downpipe and also a small 3" section kinked to give rack knuckle clearance

had a meter of 3" bore pipe arrive also, it's currently at my welder's place being cut up into lots of 10 degree sections to begin the custom pipework for intercooler and exhaust

bought 4 moog balljoints for the underneath rebuild from rock auto, very good service and cheap, infact the time it took you wouldn't believe they were coming from america

went out to stuart (s14_stu's) house and bought 4 hubs from his s14 he is breaking as i'll now have almost everything ready to completely build a second subframe to just throw onto the car when i'm ready

bought my first underseal proper spray gun and stone chip for the underneath, i'm not going to let this one rust into dust like every other 14!

bought some z32 new brakes from conceptua

then they arrived

i have given my z32 calipers another coat of black paint, and the inner hub section of the disc a coat of black to keep things looking nice

also these spare parts are now away to the powdercoaters to be made pretty like everything else

have used an old tub with a good soaking of brake cleaner, then lid on and given it a good shake then a brush off with a clean paint brush

most of the brake dust has came off and the inner shoe fitting parts look alot better than before!

next job i'm focused on is getting this subframe swap done,

waiting on gktech.com.au excentric lockout bolts (could have just gone to a bolts shop along the road from my work but never thought of it),

and waiting on powdercoaters

almost ready to have a full subframe assembled and ready for the car

when my subframe is off it'll be getting the proper undersealing love and some replacement brake pipes since everything will be off for a freshen up anyway

Rides
    made a start to cleaning up the z32 calipers and a coat on the new discs

just a first coat, going over with a second when dry

poor dark pic but tried on the greddy lip before it goes to paint

getting very excited to see the finished result with paint, lows and the wheels

cut out some of the carpet and remoevd the loom plastic guides and taped it all up so it'll sit better since the cage has now gotten in the looms original route

bought some pipe and had it cut up with lots of 10 degree sections to begin making exhausts and intercooler bends, thanks to josh for cutting at his work

gktech parts arrived, solid gearbox mount, rear eccentric bolt lockout kit and a handbrake button

Rides
    got a spare 14a uk spec bumper which i'll be swapping for a black one for track days, also wired back in my HID headlight kit and everything works up the front now

thanks to dale i have one gearbox cover, just need the other side now which covers the slave cylinder pin and fork

have fitted the clutch fork and brand new toyota cylinder now to the gearbox

some castellated hose arrived for the matrix pipes and the rad pipes, this stuff is expensive :S

propshaft arrived back! all posh with my name on it it is only a front section now as they couldn't do me a full length prop

it has now got new universal joints both ends and has grease nipples so is serviceable

bailey are really good, i was £270 though but they have made a lovely job!

thanks to mike again for the tow away from my work! the car is now in another garage, thankfully it's a double so i'll have some space to crawl about when swapping subframes over

so thanks to dan at DB power i have a custom clutch hose made up, it's a full braided hose with banjo fitting into the s13 CA18 clutch cylinder

just need to fit it into the gearbox cylinder and find out if i have a clutch!

i also have now got chopping at more of the interior parts to get everything fitting around the cage

the door cards were basically cut in half, i've also trimmed back the white speaker plastic housings meaning i can keep door speakers

done the same with the dash

bit rough but it'll do for now

i bought some peugeot 306 fans, i need to make up some sort of wiring to do with these and the fan controller i have, the fans will also need the housing modified alot to fit onto my rad....

hopefully these will fit between the rad and the engine and run safe enough!

finally found a nice set of work e wings that are mint! they are from john f's new 180, i bought his rear volks aswell can't wait to see these on the car once they get some new tyres

my favourite wheels!! e wings!!!

finally cut out the bush inserts from the standard rear lower arms, they're now off to get powdercoated black to match the subframe, then have new balljoints and polybushes fitted

also bought a full rear arm allignment set, they are the hard bushed arms since i don't like rose joints

will soon be ready to have the subframe swapped, i need to buy some more brake parts and pick up some new rear hubs

Rides
    more updates, things have been very very quiet with the car as of late, i've not had any time at all to get near it

have seen it once in the last 3 weeks .....

anyway i'd like to thank dylan for this exhaust piece! (choppy)

it will be tidied up and sorted out but it's the flange i was looking for to fit the standard twin's downpipe and also a small 3" section kinked to give rack knuckle clearance

had a meter of 3" bore pipe arrive also, it's currently at my welder's place being cut up into lots of 10 degree sections to begin the custom pipework for intercooler and exhaust

bought 4 moog balljoints for the underneath rebuild from rock auto, very good service and cheap, infact the time it took you wouldn't believe they were coming from america

went out to stuart (s14_stu's) house and bought 4 hubs from his s14 he is breaking as i'll now have almost everything ready to completely build a second subframe to just throw onto the car when i'm ready

bought my first underseal proper spray gun and stone chip for the underneath, i'm not going to let this one rust into dust like every other 14!

bought some z32 new brakes from conceptua

then they arrived

i have given my z32 calipers another coat of black paint, and the inner hub section of the disc a coat of black to keep things looking nice

also these spare parts are now away to the powdercoaters to be made pretty like everything else

have used an old tub with a good soaking of brake cleaner, then lid on and given it a good shake then a brush off with a clean paint brush

most of the brake dust has came off and the inner shoe fitting parts look alot better than before!

next job i'm focused on is getting this subframe swap done,

waiting on gktech.com.au excentric lockout bolts (could have just gone to a bolts shop along the road from my work but never thought of it),

and waiting on powdercoaters

almost ready to have a full subframe assembled and ready for the car

when my subframe is off it'll be getting the proper undersealing love and some replacement brake pipes since everything will be off for a freshen up anyway

made a start to cleaning up the z32 calipers and a coat on the new discs

just a first coat, going over with a second when dry

poor dark pic but tried on the greddy lip before it goes to paint

getting very excited to see the finished result with paint, lows and the wheels

cut out some of the carpet and remoevd the loom plastic guides and taped it all up so it'll sit better since the cage has now gotten in the looms original route

bought some pipe and had it cut up with lots of 10 degree sections to begin making exhausts and intercooler bends, thanks to josh for cutting at his work

gktech parts arrived, solid gearbox mount, rear eccentric bolt lockout kit and a handbrake button

Rides
    Wow, just read all this build, a lot of work done here! like it!

Rides
    thank you! hopefully be some more good updates over the next week, will be swapping the subframe over with my new one, undersealing and fitting all new brake pipes

Rides
    bloody photobucket!

anyway the pics will be online ahain in a few days once my monthly limit renews

got the subframe off today and will begin cleaning it all up with a wirebrush head on the grinder in prep for stone chip and undersealing

Rides
    That is some amount of work going into this car, i dont think you have overlooked anything, its awesome.

also, glad to see the pics are working properly now

Rides
    i finally have the car somewhere dry to keep it while i do the subframe change over/undersealing

got it lifted up high enough

off it comes

it's ridiculous how much the subframe locking collars have split the old bushes

went and picked up some of my parts from the powdercoaters, was £110 though :S for two arms, two brackets and two backplates

maybe i don't know the proper price of powdercoating parts but that seemed a little too expensive for my liking!

never the less, they made an awesome job, the stuff looks really nice now

however with my lower arms i found out today that the s13 and s14 have different bushes

i was gifted some driftworks s13 bushes from a friend brand new for doing work on his car, unfortunately they dont fit my arms

i'm ordering some others tomorrow as i need to get the new rear end build up asap!

anyone want to buy them cheap to try cover some of the costs of s14 ones?

in the meantime i've started refurbishing my r33 gtr wheels,

they're a nice 9j et30 offset with the 25mm spacers look great on the car,

these are now going to be my skid rims, but i wanted them looking fresh as i was bored of the grey so i've repainted them silver

no more lost in the wheel arch skid rims haha

Rides
    thanks to paul at magic aero my kouki spats arrived, these are awesome quality and not that bad priced at £180 brand new!

also turns out the forcedfablic bushes i bought for my front arms and steering rack are actually branded energy suspension, i assumed forced fablic was the name of the bush manufacturer haha

so, this car is taking every single spare penny away from me right now haha, bought some rear lower arm bushes, was going to use forced fablic again as i like the company but i simply couldn't wait for these as they are my main hold up with putting the new subframe together with all arms

after josh had modified my radiator i tried it on, however it'll need to go back to him to be adjusted slightly, it was modified at a 45 degree angle but it was me who got it wrong, now it's fitted up it still has a tension on the hose causing a kink at the bottom unfortunately

a little adjustment and it should sit perfectly

borrowed tools for underseal prep, going to bring inside the arch and underneath back to bare metal so it gets a good coating and will last longer

after some thought and looking around at other 1jz builds, i've decided to go with 2.75 inch intercooler piping, that's my final decision and tonight i bought a load of silicone hoses from artel motorsport and ebay for doing it, i've already got loads of pipe that size so it should be easy enough to make something that will fit

these are what i ordered, i made up a small drawing to keep track

all in black again, i'll probably sell my others as they are brand new and never used, only slid over some pipes for test fitment...

Rides
    last two weeks have been horrible haha, spent with the wire wheel on the grinder and the stonechip gun

i've got proper pictures from my camera to upload of this to show what the chassis looks like now

however i've taken the wire wheel on the grinder over all of the inner arches at the rear, above the subframe and the rear chassis legs/above exhaust etc

car has 3 coats of stonechip on now and each coat had two days to dry

the pics will show what i mean when i get them uploaded from the camera however here are a few so far

also can i just say....god i love imports soo clean compared to UK cars!!!

the 70mm boost 90 degree hose arrived for the throttle body, and the 64>70mm reducer for the turbo pipe arrived

radiator is back to the welder to get modified again with a slightly different angle

picked up a genuine uras/monkey magic kit and another set of vertex skirts

only reason i bought it all was because i wanted the vetex skirts for spare and the guy wouldn't sell seperate

so worked out quite well, i'll be selling the uras rear bumper and skirts for cash plus another set of vertex skirts to a friend

so all in all i've managed to get myself 3 pairs of vertex skirts....always nice to have spares, don't know how many i'll destroy with delam tyres

just need to sell the front bumper to cover me the money it's due and i'll be happy

a pic of the sills mid clean up before spraying stonechip on....making all the uk 200sx boys jealous :P

managed to source a jdm non abs sr20det turbo prop shaft which will work perfectly with my r32 non abs diff and bolt to the front of my custom prop for the R154

thanks to conceptua my s14 lower arm poly bushes arrived, can't complain at £50 delivered, fair price!!

also ordered some brand new r33 handbrake cables from them, they should be here tomorrow so i can get on with the subframe build if i don't get a kick ass hangover this weekend

plan is to have the car back down on 4 wheels in the next week or two so i can roll it out the garage and turn it around to begin the front end work
    Last edited by Jonny Mac; 29-10-2013 at 22:33.

Banned
    Rides
    Nice project dude glad to help out in a small way

Rides
    thanks andy! yeh was looking for a jdm non abs turbo prop for a long time haha! it's perfect I bought yours

took delivery of these a while ago, brand new from driftworks, a full set of geomaster hubs+offset rack spacers, bought these for a few reasons,

one of them being the increased traction and stability they offer for higher horse power cars, when my big holset turbo is fitted these will be a good help for keeping the car driveable

they give loads of steering lock which is also a bonus,

after a discussion with daze coop' i'll be having some custom front suspension parts made up for fitting the front hubs rather than using the offset spacers

pressed my moog ball joints into the arms

flipped them over and went to fit the super pro bushes, greased everything up and fitted them, bushes went in fine however when the metal tube was pressed in, one side would always pop out

so thanks to daze coop' for the advice and everyone else on fb, i decided to rub out the insides of the arms with some sand paper....

now they fit perfectly and stay in!

gave my bearings a good clean with the wire wheel on the grinder again, then got going with the hammerite,

looks poo but doesn't matter, just to keep it from rusting

made a start to my rear brake setup, swapped over the handbrake levers onto the new brake shoes

was definately time for replacements, nothing left on the old shoes

got them all built up and done

I managed to get some extra time at work tonight and stripped all the arms into pieces to fill them with copper grease

all of the internal threads on the arms have a thick coating of grease and the exposed threads+under each nut has a coating of grease

got the pics off my camera of the chassis from a few weeks ago, half way through cleaning up the arch with the wire wheel on the grinder

just after adding the second coat in these pics

it was still half dry and looks wet in some of the pics

hopefully this weekend i can get my subframe built together and fitted to the car! working so much overtime at work right now so it's hard to get 5 minutes near the car!

Rides
    got my rad back thanks to josh for adjusting it agian, this time it looks perfect

it has a different angle now and there are no kinks or folds in the top rad pipe now

just have to hope it seals on the engine

hydro arrived from driftworks, not sure on where to put this, either on the left of the standard handbrake and gearstick with a massive wand

or down by my left knee....will decide later

also bought a bag of 7/16's UNF thread 3/8's brake pipe nuts for this

started on the subframe assembly

mounted the diff with r32 front bolts

then went on all of the arms, shafts and hubs

not too impressed with the distance between the rear traction arm and the driveshaft boot....

looks to me like if i run my car low i'll struggle to keep a safe distance between them, i'll be grinding them down if they touch

old R180 N/A jdm subframe out of the garage and is now in my lockup/storage unit probably till the day it goes to be weighed in for scrap....unless i buy a cheap s14 and want a quick alternative to a factory 3.6 diff, could always throw this in

i've dumped this out of the way now but have to go back as i forgot to take measurements of the standard arms for a rough allignment on how to set my hardrace arms, also i've left my 25mm spacers on the hubs and i forgot to take off the caliper carrier bolts for my z32's

I've not taken any pics of this yet since it was 2 degrees tonight in the garage when I was working but i fitted all new copper brake pipes/lines on the car with a new T piece at the rear as the standard ones are apparently restricted and can cause issues with the hydro i'm led to believe

also put my clutch pipe into the gearbox slave cylinder tonight, fits perfectly, about the only thing that does on this car tried to bleed it alone but need a second person to pump the pedal so i'll get a hand with that from someone later on