Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: JZS14 Silvia

Rides
    27/2/13
    energy suspension bushes arrived from america, forgot to take pics of them

i got the front rack poly bushes and front lower arm polybushes

they will be going on the car when it comes off the road later this year

only pic i have so far is the part number sheet for an s14

then fitted some new brake discs and pads on the back, they were overdue to say the least!

all in the attempt to get some sort of handbrake for the crail track day coming up

HANDBRAKE STILL DOES NOT LOCK! ARGH have bed them in and also tightened cable, also tried loosening cable so that it has a 'bite' when you rip it up high, it only locks when you dab the brake pedal shifting the weight to the front of the car and also pushing the rear pistons out taking the load off the cable to move them out. pistons are all free as you can spin them with long nose pliers with no force

then put on a new set of brake pins and pad retainers as the old ones were not proper, just a few nails with holes drilled in the end, i'm a bit ocd at times about things like this

28/2/13
    took 2 of my equips to 'work' with me

tried them on

however because the rear arches have been pulled out so much by previous owner the wheels don't fill the arches as much as i'd wanted :S

so the plan is now to sell them on,

I've had a change of idea aswell with how i want the car to look,

I had a set of work e wing mesh wheels on the front of the car, i now want a full set in 18"

1/3/2013
    trying to get the car prepared for crail, don't want a repeat of last time with the wings catching the front tyres so decided to flatten the arch lips

but the wings are immaculate with no rust so thought i'd do a bit of undersealing first!

jdm bits!

no face!

clean wings

then sealed up properly on the inside

lip flattened then some more sealer put on

crail's on saturday, still got an exhaust to seal up, clutch damper to remove and tyres to sort out...need 2 225/45/17 or i'm not going to have the r33 wheels on the front as the tyres up front aren't going to last any crail track time

Rides
    Hey is that a genuine kouki? I noticed there was a test window wiper and I heard imports never had them at all, I maybe wrong lol only seen 1 silvia to not have one out the factory

Rides
    Rear** not test lol

Rides
    yup sure is buddy

Rides
    Ah nice lol, does look awesome! I'm very jealous

Rides
    5/3/13
    removed clutch damper part and pedal feels better, then done some other bits and pieces for crail day

9/3/13
    SXOC CRAIL DRIFT DAY!

car performed excellent, it certainly took a tad longer to adjust to the n/a powerless skids compared to always having turbo'd cars,

I'd say i learned alot more about drifting though as it took technique rather than just mash on the accelerator pedal, i'm very keen to get back into a turbo'd car now and try more things out

the morning wasn't good for me as it was wet and i didn't know the car, i had many spins as i kept hitting the lock stops trying to go silly entries in the wet,

however when it dried up in the afternoon i had a brilliant time! completely turned the day from average to epic fun

loved the car, took a full day's track action with NO faults, used 1/4 of a tank the whole day at crail

when it dried up the front tyres started gripping better making throwing the car into corners possible and i was entering the back corner on the 3rd gear rev limiter!

speed was everything! then you basically slow down skidding the corner and have hardly any power to keep going so a few clutch kicks would see you round the corner and still slide the straights

THANK YOU TO ALL THE PHOTOGRAPHERS FOR BEARING THE COLD WEATHER!!! the pics are awesome russel, weiner, thacko, kyle (sorry if i missed any)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by the kouki monster View Post
    Ah nice lol, does look awesome! I'm very jealous

thanks i wanted this car for a long time and it finally became mine haha

Rides
    Looks awesome so far dude! Could you not space out the rear wheels to fill the arches?

Rides
    Looks F@%king awesome, seems to get sideways well to

Rides
    into it!, nice to see a silver 14, not seen that many

Rides
    thanks guys, yeh silver seems to be an unusual colour and it drew me to the car when i first saw it.

thanks rallye it took a fair ammount of steering input and work but slid pretty well in the end,

matt_e36 unfortuantely they are a 9j et30 with a +25mm spacer so in theory a 9j et5 and there is still an arch gap, it's because the arches were so flared out previously, i could get a set of standard arches and have them replaced by a bodyshop but it's just not worth it, i did have a big set of equips and was going to replace the barrels on them to fill the rear arches but i couldn't afford it at the time and have now sold the wheels on as i needed cash for other things. eventually i'll buy some big wheels, i really want some work e-wing mesh in a massive 11j with big dish but chances of finding some are low

however the mot is due shortly and it should fly through once i put the standard exhaust back on with cat and then once it's mot'd it'll be coming off the road for it's rebuild super excited, my spare room is full up now with parts

Rides
    Looking really good man

You going to the May Day!?

Rides
    sure am buddy! you?

i'll be there in either this or another 14 i'm hopefully picking up this weekend

Rides
    don't think i posted this earlier....after drift day haha

11-04-13
    went to the sxoc food meet....cambo's awesome ps13! (which is for sale)

12-04-13
    decided to do some work with the bits i had started to collect for the rear subframe swap

opened up my r32 diff from jdmgarage

ratio 48:11

being 48/11= 4.363 final drive

let it drain overnight

also gave it two coats of hammerite black

along with my r33 driveshafts

next was to toast the bushes out the rear lower arms i have spare

they are about to get powdercoated black to match the subframe diff and shafts

i've got some new driftworks lower arm bushes to go in the arms

14-4-13
    went to a local car meeting, was rather busy!
    parked with john/joey200sx

was driving home tonight and lost an hid....bugger! need to find out if it's a ballast or a bulb!...more than likely an earth issue

Rides
    love it mate, really nice

Rides
    Great build thread,car definately gets used.
    I'm a bit new to diffs etc so could you explain the diff swap to an R32?Is it for better top end with lower rpm or quicker acceleration but with higher rpm at top end?
    Thanks & sorry if I'm filling your thread with tech crap!

Rides
    i'll loose top end but i'll get there quicker with the 4.3 FD diff, basically makes the car rev up quicker when skidding.

Rides
    anyway! not been doing much to this as of late since buying another 14a, the silvia has sort of taken a back seat lately

took it out skidding one night in a closed private area miles out of civilisation

it's only a single track place so it's tight and the corners are 90 degree bends so it was a tad tricky especially with no power.

thanks to josh for a good price my r32 diff got welded so that'll be filled with some love juice then an s14 backplate put on once it's painted silver

had john over and it was pretty cool seeing my two s14's and his s15 together

10/5/13 ... mot time :S

i hadn't had much time to get stuff sorted on the car so i knew it would fail on no cat or fog light

being tested by the mot tester at my work, he had enough comments to say about how low it was and how the bride seat made it hard for him to get in and out...

so my fail sheet goes like this:

1. Battery insecure (i never had a clamp with the car so i just had a big industrial tie wrap around it,) i've bought clamp from flik on sxoc
    2. Offside Rear Fog Lamp Missing (wasn't there when i bought the car)
    3. Rear Fog Lamp Tell Tale Not Working (switch doesn't light up to tell me the fog lamp is on)
    4. Exhaust Cat Missing Where One Was Fitted As Standard (had it in the boot just never got round to fitting, will throw it on for retest)
    5. Front Reg Plate Characters Incorrect
    6. Rear Reg Plate Characters Incorrect
    7. N/S/F Brake Hose Inappropriately Repaired
    8. O/S/F Brake Hose Inappropriately Repaired
    9. Parking Brake Efficency Below Requirements

so all in all i've got a new battery tie down comming this week, fitted different brake hose clamps through the coilovers

i've plugged the fog light switch wires back in (don't know why they were ever out) and put a red bulb into the rear reverse light

fitted my apex exhaust which has flanges for the cat so the cat is now in for emissions

tightened up the handbrake cable as it was needing adjusted

doing nothing with the plates as they are import plates, the tester just needed reminding about them being legal on an import car.

jamie's epic sil80 showed up at my work, i gave it an oil change and fitted a pressure sensor to the oil sandwich plate

anyway here's the new fog light

apex exhaust on with cat for mot

changed my front tension rod bushes for poly ones...thanks to joey200sx for the bushes

and that was all done on saturday, then this happened on saturday evening....

no clutch kicking crail drift day for me

i've had to sell my space, qutie gutted after all the work done late at nights getting tyres changed etc, was really looking forward to going back aswell

went over my foot walking into a dip on a pavement, went up to hospital for xrays and doctor said i've severely damaged the tendons and ligaments in my foot.

I'm on crutches for a few weeks and no driving for 2-4 weeks they said.

GUTTED!

will have to get my dad to take the silvia to work for it's mot retest once the battery tie down arrives as everything else is done and fixed
    Last edited by Jonny Mac; 13-05-2013 at 14:00.

Rides
    right, the blue 200sx is sold, goes away tonight, time to get started with this car....(once i'm off my crutches)

going to get 1jz in and running this year hopefully!!

Rides
    updates....good and bad....

mot's passed

been spending moneys

spoke to pete@fabricage and ordered a new 6point full through dash roll cage, bolt in, rear X cross bar, rear harness bar, door X cross bars and gussets, powdercoated white and shall be delivered to my door in a few weeks

spoke to wayne@autoextreme and have now bought an ACT advanced clutch technologies 6 puck sprung paddle clutch for the 1jz engine

also managed to come across another engine for a good price which had recently in the last thousand or so miles had a new oil pump, water pump, timing belt, inlet manifold gaskets, new plugs grade 9's, a load of parts with it, I'd basically decided the price of the engine complete there's no way I can get even a water pump and oil pump together from Toyota for what I paid for the other 1j,

so anyway my list of what's to be done before engine can go in to be test fitted:
    ecu
    wiring
    buy a flywheel and slave cylinder
    buy a top mount manifold
    buy a turbo + oil fittings
    fit a front sump to the engine

bad bits.....today I picked up my front sump I bought from a guy on dw ages ago, realising it's an n/a sump unfortunately means it does not have an oil return section i'll either have to drill it out and make something up or buy another and sell this one on, quite disappointing,

also the turbo I wanted finally came up on ebay for just short of 500 quid, didn't have money at the time due to buying cage and clutch, missed out on it a holset hx35 with a 12cm housing. would have been perfect for the jz....

never mind!
    Last edited by Jonny Mac; 27-05-2013 at 16:35.