Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: JZS14 Silvia

Rides
    bought a new pipercross foam filter from demon tweeks, want to keep up the black theme in the engine bay

need a black turbo blanket now!

paul managed to get a spare evening to do some more welding on the exhaust,

it's so time consuming! another 5 hours spent on the car and it literarly looks like it took 10 minutes to do,

the begining of the 3" > oval piece was made after the downpipe

then slowly began to take shape of an exhaust

braced it off the gearbox mount to stop any pulling on the downpipe since it's not welded yet

here's a view from the sill looking at the chassis leg....can barely see the exhaust

we have raised it up along the floor too so it actually sits higher than the backbox now

going to hopefully finish this on friday

Rides
    friday evening's work!

made up the last section to join the backbox on

also got the exhaust sitting at a slight angle which was exactly what i'd wanted

then every join was stainless tig welded

paul had to take the downpipe to his work to use a different tig plant which could pulse and go slightly lower amp's than his own one, this will hopefully stop the downpipe moving with good heat management

took my camera down to the workshop for some better pics,

anti roll bar will be off again, it was only on there to use as a guide for making the exhaust

the front is also support with tie wraps since the downpipe was off

wish i could weld properly, i'll be looking into my own tig plant soon and going to make an attempt at starting to learn, i know a fair bit now through picking up from what paul's told me so it should be good fun

diff will be changed this week because i'm sick of the green backplate now haha!

***update, downpipe has been done, will get more pics of that later! and it fits perfectly still, just need to get the lambda sensor, wideband sensor and some brackets fitted to it!

Rides
    exhaust looks great mate, keep up the good work

Rides
    thanks man

downpipe back from welding

including the lambda sensor flange i'd made

a tag was welded onto the downpipe and a bracket made up with an A brace to support the downpipe

also the wideband bung was put in further down and a new hanger made for the center pipe off the gearbox mount box section

unfortunately when starting the car up last night the vband connecting the downpipe to the floor section had warped when welding,

it's not the downpipe side it's the center section piece, so i have a new vband on the way to replace the fitting on the exhaust then it should be ready for wrapping up and finally getting finished!

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    Thats gonna be LOUD! Great work bud

Rides
    Dude, awesome work. I'm following you in insta and I was the one asking how you ovaled the pipe. Inspiration, if my exhaust/car turns out half as good as yours i'll be happy.

Rides
    thanks guys,

ratgreen yeh it's just a case of squashing it then shaping it by using a solid pole in the vice and a rubber mallet on the outside of the pipe to make the edge smooth and circular, not too bad to do tbh. thank you very much! it's been a lot of work!

not very much going on lately, the dog has gone through a serious leg operation so he requires constant care for the next 3 weeks, no walks or exercise, no climbing on/off the sofa or bed, no jumping etc

it's a complete nightmare to be honest

so the car has been put on the back burner for the moment

after the annoying vband leak, new vbands were welded onto the pipes with a new clamp

i'd wrapped up the exhaust with black heat wrap, soaked it in water first and it goes on 10x easier that way

the warped vband can also be seen in this pic

however, even with welding on the lowest setting and being left clamped together overnight there was still a slight distorsion on the brand new pair of flanges

gap can be seen here slightly

afr's are bouncing around all over the place on idle from cold as the wideband sensor is after this, so i'll get a vband gasket and some copper sealant paste in the join and it should be 100% as it's nothing like it was before

i had done some diff swapping with people/selling some and finally got myself another welded 4.3

cleaned and painted the diff, new oil and painted the backplate silver this time

looks much better than the green now

the diff had a little end float on the half shaft as the retaining clip was worn, shouldn't matter much anyway as the gktech spacers keep it pretty much pressed in tight into the diff anyway

Rides
    Jonny don't close your build thread, they will have to give you a big Crail day for being a proper hero!

Rides
    That exhaust looks exactly how i want mine to sit under my 180sx, clearance is an issue when you plan to run cm off the floor lol!

Rides
    Nice diff btw

Rides
    got sick of the gfb controller laying ontop of my dash just flying arond

tiger sealed a bolt onto the back as it doesn't come with a holder, you only get a piece of sticky back tape for mounting it which didn't work well on my dash

used an existing hole for the old fan switch and put it to good use

removed the 70mm greddy gauge and sold it to a mate,

replaced it with a smaller 60mm greddy gauge and a random ebay holder which broke as soon as i tried to push the gauge through

had some spare time at work waiting between jobs, took the backbox off and had some proper buffing pads on the grinder, finally got a good shine back

bought a new wide angle lens attachment on ebay for a tenner so tried it out

chopped up a silencer and made it fit my backbox

car is nearly ready to come home, all that's left is a fan shroud and i've got some 1200 degree capable silicone on the way for sealing the turbo vband better

also got a black turbo blanket on the way so i'll be selling that kevlar one i have on just now

Rides
    had a few issues lately and all sorted out now

the top vband had not sealed correctly, turns out when the old vband was welded onto the back of the turbo, it had warped both flanges the same, then made the downpipe from there

however they had sealed fine since they had warped together against each other

then when a new flat vband was used when we made the new downpipe, the new flat face wouldn't seal against the warped vband face on the turbo from the old downpipe

however, it couldn't be heard which was odd, just noticed a tiny bit of water dripping out on first startup,

probably covered by the noise of the new viscous fan, the afr gauge was thrown off by miles so i knew i had a leak

had a piece of pipe welded inside the turbo to bypass the vband and create a sleeve, it was cut down a bit too so it's not that long

sealed perfectly exhaust is done!

moved the oil filter relocation block aswell to stop the oil draining back out the filter, also has made the pipework easier to access and clears the intercooler pipework fine now

awful pic, but basically it's 100x better there

nearly finished now wish my black turbo jacket would hurry up and need to make a fan shroud before i go skidding

Rides
    V band is a pita, I use the cometic gaskets to make them seal properly

Exhaust looks amazing!

Rides
    new turbo jacket turned up

thanks to my mate alex, we rolled the front arches as the tyres were constantly catching, wasn't too worried how they would turn out as i want vented wings anyway, plus one wing is slightly bent from my headlight hitting the wall at finalboss last year

one side came out really good

the passenger side, not so well, the arch liner retainer tab caught the inside of the arch and caused a crease so we gave up while we were ahead haha

it'll be sorted one day however i'm really keen on getting some vented +20mm front wings from srb power and a dmax bonnet so i'll see what 2015 brings

tonight i properly done the driver side harness, it's wrapped around the cage and properly adjusted for me now

with all that done i took her out for a run since the roads had sort of dried up

drives crap, needs alligned again so bad, since removing the front tension rod brackets for making the front brace, it has thrown off the allignment

pulls all over the place when accelerating and that's before the back end slips

unfortunately due to money circumstances i'll have to sit the car out of this month's drift practice day

me and the mrs are looking at selling my flat and getting a house together (WITH GARAGE) so i have to clear my credit card before we start a new mortgage deal so that's getting worked on at the minute haha

i'm going to the sxoc drift day at driftland in march anyway so that's something to look forward to!!

can't afford to spend the price of the drift day, fuel (£130 average), allignemnt (£150) this month, it's too much money that i don't have spare

however that's only for now, i'll be good to go again over the next few weeks !!!!

Rides
    not much to update, been busy selling my flat/trying to buy a house so not had time/money for the car

I managed to get the reverse light wired in using the old sr gearbox loom/Toyota gearbox switch, also managed to finally wire in the Dakota and calibrate it correctly to match the speed so I now have a fully functional mph set of clocks recording mileage in miles on the odometer

as for sxoc, my paid renewal is due, I won't be renewing my paid membership for now so this thread will be probably be closed as if I remember correctly, you can only post a build thread if you're a paid member?? if not I'll still post updates here

my reason is that sxoc drift days aren't happening anymore so there's no point in paying a membership fee just to post a build thread. I don't use the trader discounts either

if anything changes and sxoc days start to go ahead i'll definitely renew my membership however the last two days didn't go ahead under sxoc so there is no need for a paid membership anymore

however the forum has brought many good things for me, loads of buying/selling of parts, made such a big group of friends and certainly wouldn't be where I was with my car if it wasn't for the people I met through sxoc. 4 years of paid membership (I think it was?)

the build thread updates for those who follow will be carried on here:
    http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drif...lowvia-11.html (link may not work as I've requested a thread title change)

and if that doesn't work I also keep mighty car mods forum thread updated as I love that show

http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...n-Build/page13

Rides
    Enjoyed keeping up with this build thread. Will defo see how your car is doin on the driftworks forum

Rides
    don't know if i'm allowed to update this or not since i've not paid my new membership fee?

few updates, haven't been drifting yet, life got in the way, sold my flat and bought a house....ran out of time to get it alligned for a driftland practice day

going to head to the next private day with a few mates when we get it booked unless something comes up before then

pretty much the car is on hold until we get the keys next month for the new place, it has a garage so the car will now have constant dry storage

picked up a set of r33 gtr skid wheels and put on some 225's

reverse light sensor from the toyota gearbox wired into the s14 reverse light switch wiring

along with the dakota speedo converter, that was also calibrated correctly and now the car reads correctly in mph instead of kilometers

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

got a mint set of 350z alloy wheels with basically new tyres all round

since rolling the arches out, i managed to squeeze the alignment gauges over the wheels at my work to set the front toe

anyway after alot of messing around, it didn't work as the gauges didn't sit correctly in the wheels as they fell inside the dished part of the rim,

so it's booked into wallace performance again for a full 4 wheel lazer setup

tried to sort out he wavy passenger arch, done not bad, it has a kink where the arch starts to flare out and i can't get rid of it. just in an attempt to get it looking better until i can afford new wings

bought a house with the mrs and moved out my flat, best bit....repainted the garage and got it ready for the car's arrival to it's new bedroom haha

it's not very big, just a basic single with a 7ft wide door and it has a bloody waste pipe for the upstairs bathroom runing through the garage making it again 7ft wide at one point inside

it does open out slighty as you go further in so pleanty of room to get the door open

going to put some racking up the back, one side for all the cleaning stuff and the other side for the jz spare stuff

good thing is though, there's just enough room to get in and clean the car....gave her a clay bar, polish and wax

also picked up another pair of work e wing, 17x9.5 (et10-15 at a guess) need to get these polished and i'm going to compare these to my current front wheels and work out if they will give more clearance on full lock as my current front wheels are 10j

booked into wallace performance this week for a 4 wheel lazer alignment,

and i've got a few more cooling system things to do before i go, going to swap to an s14 sr radiator so the top hose it on the other side, i've done some research and this will cool more efficently than the s13 rad

also got a mk3 supra fan shroud to collect from a mate to try on the car as my alloy tig welder is mega busy just now with other jobs so he can't manage

i desperately want a rear bash bar/jacking bar

then i'm off to driftland for a practice day with a few mates that we have booked so hopefully everything will go well with the cooling system/new power and it'll be good to get back out in it properly!

Rides
    had the car into wallace performance for an alignment check, they still couldn't get the castor set as the machine won't pick it up on my car

needing to get it checked somehow soon as it's never been set right!

then loaded the car up and made the trip to driftland for the may weekender

only done the saturday and went home as i ran out of tyres/had stuff to do on the sunday

arrived there after a long drive with the garage hobo lot, unfortunately paul's mk3 supra done the bottom end in on the way down so his weekend was cut short

got my first few laps in....was VERY nervous and shi**ing myself haha, first time drifitng in 10 months (ignore the temp gauges, camera caught them funny)

ran the full outside anti clockwise so loads of speed along the wall then a big throw into the corner

thanks to the photographers who took pics of me skidding, hit them up on facebook and give them a like!

new cooling system: works 10000% better and last thing i need to do is swap my s13 radiator to an s14 sr radiator as the hose is in a different place which apparently cools the water better due to being forced through the rad differently, also a fan shroud to be made up

new turbo setup: awesome! i have had to re-learn how to drive the car on the track, it requires a solid commitment to keep it in boost while drifting since it's a big laggy as it'll immediately grip throwing you wherever it wants if you don't keep your foot planted

however, all the upgrades have been worth it, the car sounds so cool now with the new stuff and the cooling system has bought me alot more seat time, temps still rise but nowhere near as quick as they used to, also that's with the bonnet and bumper still on!

Had loads of nice compliments about the car when people seen it at driftland which was really cool

i'd bought a gopro hero 3 white edition, here's a small clip from one of my track sessions, took a young lad out from the pits who loved it! was his first time in a drift car

i still refuse to skid/manji along the wall after last year's spin haha. MORE SEAT TIME NEEDED!! i was slowly building my confidence by the end of the day,

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MORE SEAT TIME AND PRACTICE IN!!

Rides
    so after some more thought about improving the car further, i've decided a few things i'd like to do, first is the rad water neck, have it moved instead of using another rad i bought since my slam pannel is made to fit my rad perfectly

using an exhaust bung for a reference of where i'd want the new pipe to come out the rad from

since it was sunny and i had saturday off work i took the old rad and top pipe out the car, drained the water from the engine and washed it through with the garden hose

washed out the rad, i just need to get it dropped off at my tig welder's place and he will be adjusting it for me got a length of aluminium pipe and a few silicone pipes so hopefully it won't take too long to make something up for a top hose

Rides
    rad top water neck moved over and a new top tank made so it looks cleaner

put on a new top pipe with a 90 bend off the engine instead of having the water neck changed again

had a fan shroud made up but it didn't fit well enough so it has been put back to be changed,

pulled car out the garage to test fit on the other wheels and bleed the coolant

leading up to finalboss, i finally got round to fitting the sunstrip i bought last year

was rather tricky on your own haha! was good enough to last the whole weekend though

and one on the rear window

ready

------------------------------

arrived at finalboss, screen shot from jeek's video of the pits in the morning

heading out

didn't enjoy the first layout, the shiftlock layout, pickup alot of speed along the straight then have to go in at such a tight angle
    like this:

it's basically a U shape but tighter, stuck in second gear giving it man foot

done one line completely wrong and clipped the grass verge on transition with the driver side 1/4, went wide and dropped a wheel of track putting a ding in the bottom of the rear 1/4

no paint damage, just an awkward part where it has been pushed in underneath, the bumper also broke off it's mounts and left them bolted too the car

snapped a magic aero spat in half which is more annoying as he has gone out of business now

thankfully it's nothing serious, all easily fixed and didn't stop me having fun the whole weekend

once the track opened up to the full outer layout i was having possibly the best time i've ever had in a car. such a good weekend and many thanks to finalboss/gary boyd for organising it

marshalls were ace, photographers were ace, banter in the pits was 1st class too, was good seeing all the english lads again

here are some of the pics

also getting my bumper back

team tekno guys in the 86's were so good to watch, let alone drive with, that's me up front

my fav pic, so good!

gave my mate fraser a lift home on the sunday, thanks to him and jamie for taking wheels down, bad luck his wheel spacer sheered and gave up down there

since getting home, the car has sat in the garage, been busy with other stuff

got the bottom of the rear 1/4 pulled out,

bought a new pair of spats and they are now off to get painted silver, i only needed one but couldn't buy them seperate

i'll get some of the footage i'd asked photographers to send me uploaded to youtube and on here soon

my changes for the next drift day, i want to put a set of anti roll bars on my car (never ran any), get the alignment done properly, soften the rear damping, run less tyre pressure on the back and run wider rear tyres

------------------------------------------------------------------

spats arrived

dropped them off at stevie's to get painted

took the car for another alignment, this time at a different place

front caster wasn't too far off for having never been setup since i put the car together, annoyingly nobody could set it/had a machine that could that i knew of until now

all better! just got too try level off my front camber as one side has more, i think it's because recently i had the front hub bolts slack and maybe didn't pull the hub out when tightening them again

more updates soon! got another kouki bumper lined up in mint condition and some more engine work on my spare jz I have in bits for fun/experience and learning as I go