Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: JZS14 Silvia

Rides
    car in banzai uk magazine next month!

replaced the water pump and timing belt on the engine, it's only fair to do this for the new buyer of the engine as it had a small leak/pink coolant stain around the gasket, it means i can carry on using the car as need be without worrying too

engine head came back from bret sims motorsport, it's beautiful! it has had a huge port and polish job, all chambers balanced, 264 bc cams shimmed in correctly, multi angle valve seat job, new oem stem seals, all ports gasket matched and exhaust side opened up

it wasn't cheap and i cannot argue with the price as it was a few days worth of work but i believe it's all worth it as the head is where you get alot of power from,

It's a shame i didn't just go for a vvti head but heh that's something i can do with another car one day as i've got another 2jz ge vvti engine sat in storage now

i got my subframe back from the powdercoaters nice and black

the car is now in banzai magazine in the june month's issue, please purchase a copy to support an awesome magazine!

now, this is something i'm NOT going into online as it's not for forum's and such like,

I do not want to be seen or made out as someone causing trouble or slagging people off,

i wasn't happy with some marks on the block when i got it back and the previous builder had a disagreement with me and voided my warranty on my block,

he did offer to rebuild my other 2jz ge block so i could reuse the 86mm pistons he'd supplied but that's not what i wanted, i was keeping that block for something else (hopefully a 3.4 stroker engine for another car in the future)

not going to sit online and make nasty remarks about people etc,

i have my block getting rebuilt and having oversized pistons put in by another place now as oversizing was the only way to have a correct cylinder wall finish,

I'd lost my warranty on the engine as I'd removed two conrod cap bolts and pushed a piston out to see if a cylidner could be rehoned to remove some markings, during that i discovered other things so i didn't feel too pleased about using the block

things haven't went good for me lately and i've had to sell the turbo to pay some money back into rebuilding the block again

if anyone would like to buy a set of 86mm 8:5:1 cp forged 1jz 2jz pistons please let me know, i'm asking £650 for them,

they are brand new and only in an engine that has been turned over by hand a few times, they come with wrist pins and piston rings etc

i've managed to get back £100 for my arp studs and GE n/a conrods so that just leaves anything i can get back for the pistons and i'll have to write off the rest as a loss,

so now the block is having a .5mm oversize cylinder job done by an engine shop that usually does sr's and rb's, it will have wiseco pistons and eagle forged rods, an expensive and annoying loss however i do not rip into people online and i am not to be seen bad mouthing anyone here

i want to make it clear i'm not slating the previous builder, i've already been accused of talking about him online weeks after we spoke which was someone else on another forum but somehow it came back to me, i don't like being involved in politics,

all i want is to get my engine finished properly and drive my damn car now!

so hopefully the next update will be pics of the freshly fully forged block sat in my living room having the mental head put on top and i can begin the exciting task of bolting on all the new bits and have a fast spooling 1.5jz soon!
    Last edited by Jonny Mac; 26-06-2016 at 11:45.

Rides
    Great Progress, Pistons sold!

engine block's nearly finished too and on it's way home to me next week

so, to start off, paid over the odds for a rad cap because it's genuine koyo...to be fair i thought my japspeed one was leaking which it turns out it was

bought another pair of black recaro dc2 integra seats again, seen them appear on a local page on facebook and made an offer on them

did end up putting the drive side in, just don't have pics

sunstrip came off and i've left on the finalboss part for now

Got married, used the Silvia as the wedding car

engine pics

ZRP Forged H Beam Rods

Wossner 86.5mm 8:5:1 Ratio Comp Pistons

Crank back from balancing against all new parts inc my clutch and flywheel assembly

block after having 3 days in the acid/descale tanks

oversized block work done, now decking the surface (surface was very uneven he said)

Look at the cylinder finish!

block painted

rings gapped

crank in

line up

my new toyota oil pump on with new o rings and it was ported out inside for flow restriction issues that can come with stock pumps

now i'm just waiting for the core plugs to arrive with him on monday then the engine's coming my way

as for the next big, turbo choice, i think i'll be going GTX3582R with the T3 Twin scroll exh housing as garret seem to be the only ones that offer twin scroll

borg warner and precision both don't list it in the turbo model's i like, so not to worry, a gtx will be fun
    Last edited by Jonny Mac; 06-08-2016 at 18:34.

Rides
    bought a gtx3582r
    4" anti surge intake
    2.5" out
    .83 t3 divided exhaust housing
    3" vband exit

it came from universal turbo's

formally known as CR turbos,

had to take the cams, shims and buckets out the head (kept in order) as the head needs skimmed now a little more

this is to let the compression come back to 8:5:1 as the oversized bore has increased the total cc in the cylinders

the head is now in a machine shop in a que of jobs to be done

block arrived home, i'm super happy with it

you can also see written on the piston is 20cc, the stock pistons are 9cc! hence the compression change so head work is needed as i'm not reducing the gasket thickness as the stock 1.2mm 1jz head gasket works really well

got the cam covers powdercoated electric blue with metalic flakes these are insane in the sun!

also have started tidying up little bits in prep for assembling the engine

literarly waiting on the head to have some more taken off then it'll be build/checking time as i need to make sure i have enough piston to valve clearance etc

oh also invested in a Link g4 engine management package

Rides
    really looking forward to seeing your engine all built up and back in the bay with the new blower attached. one of the best builds on the forum by far

Rides
    thanks dude going to have to steal your ideas with bulkhead fittings as I love the way you've done it on yours

I've been keeping an eye on your thread too! my next purchase will be a swirl pot setup and external fuel pumps so I'm using your thread as reference

Rides
    link arrived, with a 2jz loom which i'll need to modify to fit the s14 harness, vw coil packs, map sensor, fuel perssure sensor too

pulling an engine out in a 7ft wide garage sucks....

i then took the engine over to my work and changed a few things on it,

got it ready for the new owner's car. rear sump back on etc

spent friday evening pulling the old 1j/twin setup/w58 out of the soarer

swapped the looms over, starter, p/s pump, injector resistor pack was added into the loom and a few other bits. then dumped it into the soarer on friday night around midnight

then over the rest of the weekend messed around getting the car finished along with paul making exh pipes, intercooler pipes, gearbox mount etc

big thanks to mark for saving my bacon with the alarm, it freaked out and wouldn't send power to the starter relay

so, back to business

made a start at getting the engine together, put the dowel pins and studs into the block for the sump (not in the pic)

new o rings and so on for the sump where required

arp head studs and oem toyota head gasket on, dowel's put into the head too

head on, all shims and buckets back in head in the correct order

engine mounts/ bc cam's in with engine assembly lube

water pump

crank sensor

2x new camshaft sensors in

cam gears

2xnew toyota oem cam seals in too

timing belt

82*c toyota oem thermostat, seals and lower water pipe

how i've left it for now, waiting to get another free evening to finish it, bought a dti gauge for dialing in the cams, need to get a length of threaded bar the same pitch as crank to setup timing wheel

also not putting on the new blue cam covers until the engines fully finished so i don't risk marking them

Rides
    things have been a little slow with this, i've bought a supra so have been busy working on that in my spare time, it's now off to the bodyshop for a full respray so i've now got some available time to push this thing forward

6 boost going on, had to chop down a few studs underneath the same as the last time

new o ring and refreshed oil filter housing on, however i'll be using a smaller 2jz ge one for space as i need to run two sandwich plates for stuff now

gtx3582r t3 twin scroll turbo goes on

turbo smart wastegates ready to have v bands welded on

vibratechnics 'drift' mounts going on

degreed the cams in as per brian crower spec sheet

new intake manifold arrived, 90mm throttle body, top feed fuel rail conversion, all o ring seals and looks pretty

i'll be able to start supplying these on demand for around £620 delivered within the uk too which is cool

also dumped the engine in the bay for now as i needed the space in the corner for something else, i'll have it back out to put the gearbox on properly as i couldn't get it lined up with the twin disc clutch

more pics later

grade 7 copper bkr7e plugs in for initial start/run in

will change to iridium grade 8's during mapping

Rides
    Excellent update. That intake is looking smart. Would love something like that on my S54 but they are just not available off the shelf

Turbo aint bad either

Rides
    got the car transported over to my work

got this back out the engine bay

so there was a bit of a problem with the adapter plate i had with my pink clutch, it would not line up with the box when on the engine, holes were a few mm off all over

thankfully the guys that sold it refunded me the full amount due to the time restricitons i had as i couldn't wait for them to order another batch of newer/remodified plates etc

shame really as i liked the clutch, it looked like a good piece of kit

i got straight onto abc and ordered one of their new style kits with the redesigned adapters, within a few days the new kit had arrived

went with the tilton twin disc setup

while that was in the post i swapped over the front subframes

rack relocated so no more offset spacers

had paul make up a new oil drain since the last one stayed with the holset setup, made a new flange too as the supplied one from universal turbos wasn't up to much

will heat wrap the silicone hose

cross member in, I need a new set of rack pipes, ignore them, they got caught when i put the old 1j/r154 setup into the shell outside in the driveway, the r154 had extra material at the base of the bel housing which tugged on one of the pipes

clutch on

came with a good instruction set explaining that you need to take material off the release bearing shaft on the gearbox

new gearbox prop bush

release bearing installed on the correct tabs following the guides

engine was in and out a few times sizing up things like wastegate positions, downpipe modification for new turbo, gearbox mount etc

had to shave the box as it has a big dowel pin for bmw starter motor and a few various high points that aren't needed, the box is seriously tight in the tunnel, a small massage with a hammer soon fixed that

used my old r154 mount but extended the tabs to reach the bmw box mounts, also used pucks as stiff bushes between, i'll repalce with proper poly the same size

starting to look cool, can't wait to hear both screamer pipes on full throttle on the rolling road for the first time

Rides
    intake going on

throttle body is also on now, using oem toyota 1jz tps sensor which is cool

thread taped the vacuum fittings

also had to cut/flatten/modify the oem water pipe going around the engine for it to clear the abc kit

one thing that has always pissed me off about the car is the hammered arches, i had to smack them up a few years ago to clear the wheels after the geomasters went on and gave more lock

have now got half tubs done, battery tray removed and old intercooler holes cut out and replaced with new sheet metal

the old fuse box loom holes/air con holes/oem intercooler/airbox pipework holes are also gone and filled

made a start at painting, haven't got any proper finished pictures yet

needs cut back and polished but it's good enough for now

threw on a water pump pulley and a non aircon belt, going to run it first time without the fan on so i'll be able to hear any noises etc

new water gasket on the pipe going around the block and then it was time for final fit (hopefully for the last time)

it's in

made a start at a propshaft myself so i have it the right length before sending away to be professionally made by a propshaft shop hopefully with addition of a spline in the middle to allow for movement

Rides
    roughly mocked up the prop to get the correct length, used a bit of boost pipe to hold it true at the correct length then tack welded

that was then sent away to bailey morris, used them last time for my prop and the were good

after speaking with paul beechey he'd said to use maxima rods since the rack's moved forward now and the offset spacers are gone

had the ends machined down 3mm to allow more travel

new rack boots on and recentered the rack after realising it's off (thanks to paul and clive for some advice there!)

made a start at a few coolant pipes on the engine

oem sensor and spa designs coolant sensors in the water neck, along with an6 outlet for turbo

got a an6 fitting for the rack

made a teflon line an6 high pressure pwoer steering hose

and a fitting on the pump high pressure side / resovior hose done also

need to shorten the shifter

bought some shockproof gearbox oil and millers engine run in oil from opie oils

got that in the box after draining out the old stuff (actually looked clean!)

new set of propshaft bolts from bmw

been having some bother getting the clutch to clear, cylidner doesn't feel like it's doing enough, abc recommended a 3/4 cylidner so i've bought an adapter plate to allow me to use a wilwood cylidner

wilwood cylinder on order and should be here next week

oil level sensor block off plate from a jzx90 from toyota

prop's done, brillaint job by the guys at bailey morris, has a splined slider added in too

made all the an6 water lines to/from the turbo now, it has feeds from the engine,

turbo smart wastegates on but without screamer pipes as these are going to be a bit tricky to make, alot of bends needed just like the downpipe, due to shortage of spage

made headlight brackets again this time from the radiator support tube,

i've flipped the incercooler core upside down and now i'm waiting for paul to come in and do some alloy welding to make up pipes to fit the throttle body etc

Last edited by Jonny Mac; 22-01-2017 at 15:33.

Rides
    Wow! How have you the time to document such a wicked build? This is one thorough project that should be fantastically reliable when it's finished. Good luck to you sir and thanks for sharing.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Wow! How have you the time to document such a wicked build? This is one thorough project that should be fantastically reliable when it's finished. Good luck to you sir and thanks for sharing.

thanks mate, normally when I'm just chilling i'll empty my phone pictures onto the laptop and go from there, at the moment I'm nursing a hangover so this is the perfect time to update this haha!

Rides
    Where did you source the power steering an6 fitting from please mate?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ianlea73 View Post
    Where did you source the power steering an6 fitting from please mate?
    came from torques uk, that's where I get all my an fittings from, think it was £18 from memory for the rack to an6 fitting. needs to have an o ring.

Rides
    That's perfect thanks.

Rides
    had my spare 3.6 diff welded

also got an order through from torques uk

it's the twin bosch 044 fuel pump with bosch filter setup

1/8th npt boss welded onto the cooler pipe for intake air temp sensor just before throttle body

had some braces made up to try prevent boost pipes jumping off at high pressure

painted the diff, new oil in and a pair of painted 6 bolt shafts + abs rear prop section

got the powdercoated cam covers on

mounted swirl pot and new fuel pump setup, i've added a 10mm thick rubber square under the pumps where it's bolted to the car's body so they won't have to deal with chassis vibrations and it'll dampen the noise a bit

kept the fuel parts mounted up there because i wanted tyre space in the boot, also if i'd put these in the corner of the boot if i ever had a rear impact it would take out the pumps and surge tank and probably cause a fire with fuel everywhere

all lines i'm making in and around the pot/pumps are motorsport rated teflon lined pipes

-

Rides
    well my last update was in march 2017, then photobucket decided to change it's hosting rules and it killed my build thread

I'm currently going through everything on flickr and will be updating all the links in the thread so the pics will work again

the car is finished and had some road use in august inc a drift day on the base map at 1bar of boost and was an animal

it's now mapped up to 2bar and made somewhere over the 600hp mark as we couldnt' get grip on the dyno for an accurate reading

will update this shortly with everything from the last 9 months that I've missed and how it looks now

need some 50mm overfenders as I want to run 265 or 285 rear tyres now

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    600bhp! Nice one

The patch on google chrome made it so you could still see all the pics etc, not sure if it still works.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    nah doesn't work for me I've just re uploaded the build pics now to flikr