Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker advice

Rides

Speaker advice

I'm after some advice folks,

Not for the car but for my living room

I've got a cracking PVR (Humax HDR Fox 2) and would like to get some semi decent speakers as I'm now using it as the media hub for the whole house,

Anyone got any recommendations in £100 bracket?

Something fairly smart looking would help as it's for the living room, doesn;t need to be 5 speaker surround. TBH I'd prefer a pair of front left and rights with a small sub to tuck away. I've not long redecorated so I don't fancy have to hide the wires for a full surround system

Rides
    Look for old skool stuff in your local free ads paper. If you're willing to do some googling to work out what it is and if it's any good you can get some right billy bargains.
    I've got some 80's Technics bookshelf speakers that were very well regarded - 10 english pounds

My big 3 way jobbies on the proper HiFi (Late 70's Technics club speakers - nearly 20Kg each ) cost me £40 and just needed a spot of cleaning to get all the nicotine stains off. They blow every other sterio/speaker combo myself or my dad have ever owned out of the water. He's getting a new HiFi soon so I'll be interested to compare them with that too

But then sterios are all about personal taste - I don't like bass from subs, I think it sounds/feels much better from hubcap sized bass drivers personally and you won't get those on a new ~£100 pair.
    You can probably get a decent enough 2.1 setup for that money, wander into your local Richer sounds and have a good poke around - they'll let you play at will normally so you can try everything in your price braket if you like

Rides
    I'll have a look when I get home and make some suggestions.
    Curious to know how it performs as a media hub, we've got one, it's good as a PVR.

Rides
    I've got a set of Microlab sc330 from Maplin which are surprisingly good sound and quality for the money (£45) I would say probably as good as a lot of sets out there for a lot more money

Edit: Get them cheaper on Amazon, check out the reviews on there and you'll see what I mean.

A couple of borderline audiophile mates were absolutely amazed that they cost so little when they saw and heard them
    Last edited by Mikesx13; 29-11-2012 at 19:59.

Rides
    Should have read FC330

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Rides
    -
    Last edited by Mikesx13; 29-11-2012 at 19:55.

Rides
    Just noticed your PVR jobbie doesn't have a built in amp of any description, if you don't already have one then ignore my suggestion

Rides
    Just for speakers (need a amp too)

Richer Sounds are doing Mission M33i floorstanders at £150 The evolution from my M73i's and they sound bloody fantastic for the money

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post

Richer Sounds are doing Mission M33i floorstanders at £150 The evolution from my M73i's and they sound bloody fantastic for the money
    Looks like £200. They reviewed well and look nice too I think I saw them for £180 a few years ago

The Wharfedale Diamond 10.3 look decent for £130

You'd need an amp too though.

You won't get much for £100 unless you find something second-hand.

Maybe you want a soundbar, with or without sub:
    http://www.richersounds.com/showclea...c+Schtb15.html

These 2 would do for stereo sound, I personally don't think you'll need a sub, although 2 x 20W is a bit weak in this example:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/...0/whar-9.0-blk
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/...-topaz-am1-blk

Maybe a proper AV amp and a pair of speakers, for now?

Rides
    The Microlab speakers are powered as well so no messing about with amps. Actually, you haven't said whether you want an amp or not? And the possibility of expansion at a later date?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Rides
    IMHO a small sub is rather pointless, I don't feel that it's really needed with decent speakers, if you don't have the budget anyway. Any sub sub-£300 is just going to generally rumble and make noise.

Rides

I agree, i have had a pair of these as my front speakers for the last four years, and i cant fault them for the money, if you can bi amp them they sound even better, doubt you would need a sub with these if you have a decent amp, but in any case to run any sub your going to need a dedicated AV amp.

Rides
    Definatly don't need a sub with the missions, I spotted them in my Local branch @ £150 in beech - might just have been old stock, try superfi

Rides
    Yeah, Superfi had them @ £180 quite a few years ago... if I'd have needed speakers I'd have chosen them!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    IMHO a small sub is rather pointless, I don't feel that it's really needed with decent speakers, if you don't have the budget anyway. Any sub sub-£300 is just going to generally rumble and make noise.
    Definatly don't need a sub with the missions,
    Unless you're going surround, don't bother with a sub.... unless it's a satellite / sub combo

The other thing you haven't mentioned, is how big is the room? Small rooms work best with stand mount, as floorstanders may sound boomy... Large room, go for floor standers as stand mounts may sound to small....

For your budget though, I'd probably look at using a sound bar

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/9077106.htm

Or a decent budget 5.1 system

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/9077089.htm

Rides
    I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s.They really are excellent.

Rides
    I picked up a pair of these for £130 recently mint condition and am very impressed http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mission-M7...item2a266b0f8d

What ever your getting buy British.

Rides
    Cheers guys, there's such a huge amount of choice out there it's mind blowing, I'll see how much Santa brings me and then have an exact budget to work with

I'm more than happy to pick up something second hand too, incidentally the PVR doesn't have an amp afaik

Rides
    If santa is feeling particularly generous you could go crazy and get these http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003H9NHX..._df_B003H9NHXI They're powered and you can upgrade it to a 5.1 system at a later date by adding the centre/rear package.