Thread: Swapped turbo to t28 now turbo elbow hit's the gearbox

Rides

Swapped turbo to t28 now turbo elbow hit's the gearbox

Hi guys, I'm in the process of replacing my T25 with a t28 from an S15. I have a xs power manifold, and went with a brand new apex performance turbo elbow. The thing is the elbow is hitting the gearbox

Who should I "blame"?! The turbo is a very tight fit. The waste-gate atuator bracket barely clears the engine mounts. Everything is really a tight fit. Do you think it's the manifold or the elbow that is causing this? Are there some elbows that can provide more clearence then others? Should I just ditch the xs manifold? What would you do?

Rides
    ditch the manifold and buy another or cut it and re-weld to the right angle . or cut the elbow and re-weld it to the right angle but my thoughts are the manifold is at fault.

Rides
    have you got a standard manifod to hand so you can chuck it on see if its still the same? if its not and it clears then your manifold is to blame.

if it still hits then possible is the elbow.

Rides
    Also did you purchase a S13 CA18DET specific elbow as there are differences between CA and SR elbows. Just as there are differences between S14 and S14a Elbows.

Did you have the mani fitted pror to fitting the t28?

Also just to add yes id ditch the mani in favour for the std cast one as the cast one is good for 300ish bhp.
    Last edited by pointz; 25-11-2012 at 20:32.

Rides
    sounds to me like you need to loosen the exhaust side of the turbo and give it a little twist

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by clivehot200sx View Post
    sounds to me like you need to loosen the exhaust side of the turbo and give it a little twist
    That may get a bit more clearance to the engine mount but won't move the turbine outlet in relation to the inlet. So the key issue of elbow angle will remain.

Rides
    Common problem with mismatched eBay manifolds and elbows.

Some manifolds are angled to clear the ABS unit, the corresponding turbo elbow brings the exhaust back into line to clear the gearbox.
    If you don't have the matching pair your exhaust will hit the gearbox

Banned
    Rides
    make sur your oil drain tube matches your pan, too ... you will need to rotate the turbo core for that. If you have not done it ... well now is the time

If you could fit your T25 oil drain on the turbo without modding, then it means it is a standard T28 turbo (lots of folks think the S15 has a BB turbo but it has not ... only early jap version did, then nissan fitted standard T28)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Common problem with mismatched eBay manifolds and elbows.

Some manifolds are angled to clear the ABS unit, the corresponding turbo elbow brings the exhaust back into line to clear the gearbox.
    If you don't have the matching pair your exhaust will hit the gearbox
    It's this. The XS Power manifold holds the turbo in a different position to the standard manifold, and is designed to work with the XS Power elbow. The Apex elbow is a direct replacement for the standard elbow and, as such, won't work with the XS Power manifold without cutting / re-welding.

Rides
    I have had the same problem. Had to reuse the xs elbow and had too grind a bit out of the gear box housing. Had to modify the intercooler trunk to fit it around the manifold.

Rides
    Thank you guys for all the replys. I had this manifold originally with the t25 and what I know believe was a xspower elbow. I replaced the elbow because the xspower one besides being very restrictive compared to my new apex one, had so thin metal that it cracked. I guess I will have try and get the elbow reworked.

I know a lot of people say that standard manifold is good for 300bhp and all that, but I've had my car with just an air filter and this manifold/exhaust combination, and besides having a sound I love, the car is really fast compared to cars with similar mods. I can't really tell if it's because of the manifold, but I'm really inclined to keep it.

Rides
    You won't be saying that after the manifold cracks for the third time