Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V8 v 2.0 Turbo

Rides

V8 v 2.0 Turbo

Don't know why but was thinking about this today , here goes ;

V8 in an s14a ,putting out 400 bhp and similar torque , VERSUs 2.0 litre turbo ,forged ,turbo matched to engine capacity eg GT2871R or . GT3071R ?? , same power roughly .

Allthough performance would be broadly similar would one have the edge over the other ? ,i'm talking about power and torque delivery etc .
    Probably totaly different to drive but an interesting one nonetheless .

Give me your wisdom guys .

Rides
    Depends on the spec and V8 engine you choose.

but you'd expect the V8 to have a flatter and smoother power and torque delivery, plus an awesome sound.

Rides
    I dunno , Ls2 . Side by side at the pod which would have it ??

Rides
    All depends on the application it's used for. I reckon the v8 would be better in the wet as you wouldn't get that massive kick from boost.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I'd say the v8 would win hands down seeing as it gets a lot more torque from low revs and has no tubby lag.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Owned and driven both. V8 every time

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_E1 View Post
    End of discussion

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustard200 View Post
    All depends on the application it's used for. I reckon the v8 would be better in the wet as you wouldn't get that massive kick from boost.
    you would think but my v8 was way more sketchy in the rain as you had torque everywhere and the wheels would spin up at 2k rpm in 6th. you can drive round a lack of grip by using turbo lag to your advantage in a turbo'd car

Rides
    ...........and your reasons ..??

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx boy View Post
    ...........and your reasons ..??
    noise, throttle response , noise , throttle response, flexibility ( you have power everywhere in any gear ) noise , no lag. fuel consumption ( it was actually better in the v8 than my stage 3a sr20 ) noise , throttle response and don't forget the noise

Rides
    Turbo every time for me (also having driven both).

I actually like how the power comes in with a turbo, get in the right gear with the right revs and its awesome. I love the kick when the turbo comes in.

V8 is boring IMO.
    Last edited by Actual_Ben_Taylor; 09-11-2012 at 23:30.

Rides
    V8s are a ball ache to get fitted in and get everything perfect and working god knows what its like to drive I feel like I'm years off getting it running.

I'm starting to think a decent sr is the best set up a s14/s15 can have. just fit anti lag if you want boost all the time I'm sure having the turbo rebuilt a few times is cheaper than all the ££££ that goes it to the V8 conversion.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    V8s are a ball ache to get fitted in and get everything perfect and working god knows what its like to drive I feel like I'm years off getting it running.

I'm starting to think a decent sr is the best set up a s14/s15 can have. just fit anti lag if you want boost all the time I'm sure having the turbo rebuilt a few times is cheaper than all the ££££ that goes it to the V8 conversion.
    i suppose it depends which v8 you use and how you go about it.

£ for £ though i'd wage a v8 is cheaper to run and tune at 400 odd bhp than an sr.

yes turbo's are fun and the fizz pop bang of boost is nice but i loved my v8 ( and yes it wasn't perfect and i didn't get a chance to have the whole package 100% before i sold it but by god i miss her )

Rides
    Unless I wanted 600+hp I wouldn't bother with a v8. In fact I wouldn't ever bother putting one in an S body, might put one in a Z33 tho...

Rides
    V8 in a Z33, chassis out the box, with torque everywhere, nice thinking!

Rides
    noise, throttle response , noise , throttle response, flexibility ( you have power everywhere in any gear ) noise , no lag. fuel consumption ( it was actually better in the v8 than my stage 3a sr20 ) noise , throttle response and don't forget the noise
    hmm i get that the noise is good, but hows the throttle response?

Im just diagnosing running faults on my V8 conversion, 7 months start to finish doing it only on weekends and for 3 months it was at exhaust fabricator (for various reasons).

Also, the cost (from scratch as i started with a DE) is similar to get 300bhp and ya know, i have a V8, not a boring SR.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MaccyD View Post
    hmm i get that the noise is good, but hows the throttle response?

Im just diagnosing running faults on my V8 conversion, 7 months start to finish doing it only on weekends and for 3 months it was at exhaust fabricator (for various reasons).

Also, the cost (from scratch as i started with a DE) is similar to get 300bhp and ya know, i have a V8, not a boring SR.
    throttle response it a little bit better than an sr

Rides
    lol

Rides
    you would think but my v8 was way more sketchy in the rain as you had torque everywhere and the wheels would spin up at 2k rpm in 6th. you can drive round a lack of grip by using turbo lag to your advantage in a turbo'd car

this^^^^

my v8 spins up too much in the wet and from the word go...

i find that with the v8 as power is right there you can literally pull away in almost any gear. around town im sitting in 5th where i would normally be in 3rd maybe even 2nd..

im still new to v8's but what i can say is though for 300bhp v8 i have compared to same bhp turbo the v8 feels brutal....!!! instant power... if thats yuor thing!!

Rides
    i suppose it depends which v8 you use and how you go about it.

£ for £ though i'd wage a v8 is cheaper to run and tune at 400 odd bhp than an sr.

yes turbo's are fun and the fizz pop bang of boost is nice but i loved my v8 ( and yes it wasn't perfect and i didn't get a chance to have the whole package 100% before i sold it but by god i miss her )
    Yeah I'm not saying there bad its just a hell of a lot of work.

Why did you sell?