Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: V8 v 2.0 Turbo

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    I don't doubt what you're saying, Clive. I've had use of a relative's RS4 (non turbo) and like the idea of it having a half tonne diet.

Rides
    i'm bored and awake so......
    if i was gonna spunk 15k on an s body setup it would be this

http://shop.partsworldperformance.co...ngine-19259233
    http://shop.partsworldperformance.co...controller-kit
    http://shop.partsworldperformance.co...l-transmission
    http://shop.partsworldperformance.co...rter-motor-kit
    http://shop.partsworldperformance.co...vette-19155067
    one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LS1-LS2-LS...item4ceddefc99

and an apex fitting kit for 1500

total

12,300 roughly ( and i know where to get most of those parts cheaper btw )

that leaves 2700 for fitting , exhaust and hoses which is more than enough and there you have it

525 bhp out the box standard setup which is so reliable and on a brand new engine which is so understressed it's unreal

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_E1 View Post
    I've tried ti read all your googled info
    Nothing Googled.

IT'S A PURE PHYSICS ANALYSIS (It's called Engineering). No magic. No hearsay other than the dyno chart (can't find source of LS6 now). If it lies I'll find the error and correct it.

Acceleration = Force / Mass (NEWTONS F'in LAW)
    Mass = kerb weight + equivalent power train inertia mass
    Force = Traction force = (Torque at wheels / rolling rad) - drag force
    Drag force = (0.5 x air density x Cd x frontal area) + (rolling resistance x Mass x G).
    Torque at wheels = engine torque x final drive ratio x gear ratio x trans efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_E1 View Post
    80mph in 6th 2200 rpm and not intrusive
    S14 doesn't have a 6th. Ken's choice T56-007 has 0.62 top, that only gets the revs down to 2500rpm@80mph unless he finds a longer diff. T56 from a C5 has 0.5 6th, 2050rpm@80mph. So you didn't just shove a V8 in a S14 you did a V8 + Corvette 6 speed gearbox (or some other 6 speed with 0.5 top). How much does that cost? What got cut to make it fit? A LS2 from a Monaro is £1800 on pistonheads. £3000+ with trans?

Above 50mph the big turbo SR20 would piss all over you. The black lines are the SR20 and except below 25mph and a "hole" at 43-48mph the acceleration is higher than the red lines of the LS6 + T56.

Both will leave a stock Corvette in top gear but at 100mph the big turbo goes mental and your V8 would have to change down 2 to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyshad1
    You could pull easily from 30mph in 6th (idle) upto silly speeds
    Yes but even a Zafria in 2nd/3rd would piss all over it up to 60mph.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyshad1
    but id does lack the midrange kick of a turbo, that would bug me.
    It's not midrange, it's all the way from about 75mph to the 170mph redline.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    Nothing Googled.

IT'S A PURE PHYSICS ANALYSIS (It's called Engineering). No magic. No hearsay other than the dyno chart (can't find source of LS6 now). If it lies I'll find the error and correct it.

Acceleration = Force / Mass (NEWTONS F'in LAW)
    Mass = kerb weight + equivalent power train inertia mass
    Force = Traction force = (Torque at wheels / rolling rad) - drag force
    Drag force = (0.5 x air density x Cd x frontal area) + (rolling resistance x Mass x G).
    Torque at wheels = engine torque x final drive ratio x gear ratio x trans efficiency.

S14 doesn't have a 6th. Ken's choice T56-007 has 0.62 top, that only gets the revs down to 2500rpm@80mph unless he finds a longer diff. T56 from a C5 has 0.5 6th, 2050rpm@80mph. So you didn't just shove a V8 in a S14 you did a V8 + Corvette 6 speed gearbox (or some other 6 speed with 0.5 top). How much does that cost? What got cut to make it fit? A LS2 from a Monaro is £1800 on pistonheads. £3000+ with trans?

Above 50mph the big turbo SR20 would piss all over you. The black lines are the SR20 and except below 25mph and a "hole" at 43-48mph the acceleration is higher than the red lines of the LS6 + T56.

Both will leave a stock Corvette in top gear but at 100mph the big turbo goes mental and your V8 would have to change down 2 to take it.

Yes but even a Zafria in 2nd/3rd would piss all over it up to 60mph.
    It's not midrange, it's all the way from about 75mph to the 170mph redline.
    you can take your physics and post it where the sun doesn't shine.

i bought a complete ls1 with t56 box for less than 3k landed in the uk from america

i ran it in a ps13

tunnel required a smack or 5 thats it , no cutting required. and your showing your ignorance as having sat a t56 next to a stock sr box you'd realise that there ain't no way your getting that on the back of an ls v8 as for one the flywheel is bigger than the mouth of an sr box bellhousing lol.

real world ( ie not stupid calculations ) tells me that my v8 was faster everywhere when compared to my sr. my sr made 352 bhp my v8 350 so realistically i think you'll struggle to get anyone short of ken who has as real a world comparison as myself running two nigh on identical power output engines in the same chassis.

and i'll point gary. to come along here and tell you about the time we kept up with a bike pulling through the gears.

Rides
    I've been in a V8 S14 in track (Bren's) following a stage 2ish S15, there was nothing in it. I was quite suprised, I always figured there would be a "V8 factor" - more torque under the curve or whatever it is but pushed hard on track there was nothing in it.

You need a silly amount of power to keep up with a modern sportsbike, 200hp and less than 300kg. They will do 10sec 150mph terminal quarters all day. If you've got a fast car and someone tries to race you in a diesel Astra, you don't have to use full power to let him keep up with you, that's what the biker was doing to you...

Rides
    Love a bit of posturing on topics I do. Good read

I have a 400+ SR and I love it. But if I was building my car again and I had more budget, I'd probably consider an LS3 just to make it more driveable. That said, I intend to get rid of my lag with a GTX and a T/Scroll. But I still think I'd have preferred a V8 (despite being against them not so long ago).

Rides
    I always think there is no right or wrong answer on these topics as a lot of it is down to personal preference and opinion of what you like. Each option has pro's and con's so it's down to the individual to choose what is best for them.

Having been in a lot of high power SR S bodies and several similar power V8's they are both awesome
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Love a bit of posturing on topics I do. Good read

I have a 400+ SR and I love it. But if I was building my car again and I had more budget, I'd probably consider an LS3 just to make it more driveable. That said, I intend to get rid of my lag with a GTX and a T/Scroll. But I still think I'd have preferred a V8 (despite being against them not so long ago).
    I disliked V8s too But the 2jz was too heavy and long, Not sure how reliable a SR would be then a V8 kinda fell in to place .

Make sure you do your research on twin scrolls it seems the internet can't be trusted on info about them.

Rides
    Skyshack, my 6th is 0.50 and I have a longer 3.54 diff FYI

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    I disliked V8s too But the 2jz was too heavy and long, Not sure how reliable a SR would be then a V8 kinda fell in to place .

Make sure you do your research on twin scrolls it seems the internet can't be trusted on info about them.
    Already very familiar with them, there's a Fullrace T/Scroll and GTX3071r sat on the car parked next to mine

Edit - what's not to trust?
    Last edited by piman2k; 12-11-2012 at 10:51.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    not if you want higher power I mean the engine and box(R154) don't owe me much more than yours but the motor has about 330 stock. its all the aftermarket/custom parts. I bet it cost you a bit to have the conversion done(unless you got it cheap due to sponsors or something)

I'm aiming for 500WHP, I want little to no lag, I want lightweight and I'm a tad OCD so I like everything to be done right and to how I want it. I did include the fuel system and having to pay for conversion in that .
    my engine in and running was sub 2.5K all in done dusted 2.5 weeks

I just like to use my car... lots. Not dream of it. for the years you have been on here (for some reason started again with a new username?)... has the car been used yet at all?

Rides
    I like that attitude ^. I must admit, mine took too long to build and I haven't used it enough, so I understand your view.

Rides
    My twin entry turbine housing(with associated mani) certainly seems to have the response advantage over single entry (but otherwise similarly equipped) cars.
    Granted, a silly voodoo engine and different turbo, but I think it's a valid comparison.

Still, nothing like the response of a similarly powerful V8.
    The world isn't just about drag races. Graphs don't tell the whole story. They don't tell you response, for starters. Area under the graph is more important then peak figures, but, just as important, is the boost response.

A responsive NA engine is a wonderful, wonderful thing, and I personally find it easier to control one on the limit.
    Last edited by Si; 13-11-2012 at 11:41.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Clive View Post
    my engine in and running was sub 2.5K all in done dusted 2.5 weeks

I just like to use my car... lots. Not dream of it. for the years you have been on here (for some reason started again with a new username?)... has the car been used yet at all?
    I'm in no rush at all buddy It was brought as a project if it takes 10 years it takes 10 years the aim was to do as much as I can myself and build something I'm proud of it sat behind the house for 8 months as I was too busy to touch it
    Last edited by -ghost-; 13-11-2012 at 12:51.