Thread: How much can you skim off and sr20det head?

Rides

How much can you skim off and sr20det head?

Ive got a head that has suffered some det. Im, trying to work out if its scrap of if it can be saved. How much can be taken off? It looks like this

Rides
    Ive taken 0.4mm off of my head, which is a relatively vast amount, but is still strong.

Check first how flat it is, if its warped more than about 0.15mm then its scrap, because if you skim a warped head it will stress the cam bearings when torqued down.

Its best to smooth off the rough edges around the chamber diameter with some wet'n'dry BEFORE you take it for machining.

And be sure to ask the machine shop for 'before and after' measurements so you can select a suitable thickness gasket for re-assembly
    Last edited by hooky; 03-11-2012 at 13:11.

Rides
    i have a whole fully working engine if you need one?

Rides
    Ive already sorted a replacement engine, but just wanted to know before i throw this one away

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Worth getting a blade and scraping the gasket off the face so you can see the extent of the damage imo before making a call either way.

I have a cheap head for sale if it's of any use. It does also have a bit of det damage though.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I think its too deep to save without a bit of welding, so ive sold the cams and rockers and im binning the rest