Thread: What Engine?!

Rides

What Engine?!

Hi everyone.

I have decided that something needs to be done with my S14. The engine needs some TLC and the T25 is on its last legs or dead....so I was considering one of the APT rebuilds with a turbo to match for around 400ish bhp. The other option is to put an RB in it....RB26DETT or RB25DET??

Is the RB conversion going to be a lot more than the tuned SR? Also gearbox wise I would need to do some work on that?

Would sort of costs would these be??

Any advice would be great.

Shaun

Rides
    it really does depend on loads of things and how much you can do yourself and how neat you want the car?

iircc you can buy rb25 engine mounts or just use a r33 crossmember so i would think that would be your cheapest engine conversion. with a 6 pot conversion you need to keep in mind that the weight will be higher and further forwards some claim is has no effect other say differently. if the weight was a problem there is a few things you can do like stiffer springs, upgraded anti roll bars.

Never been a rb26 fan if i wanted bigger power i'd go with a 2jzgte again you get get most parts off the shelf.

the 6 pot engines are upto 100kg heavier so keep that in mind.

the sr is a great little motor it just depends on how much you have to spend. You could build a sr22vet but use 90mm pistions rather than a stroker crank is you want a higher powered higher reving engine. i spoke to apt who wasn't very happy to do that workso you might be better to speak to jez.@h-dev. you can almost run 400bhp on a stock engine. the one thing to bear in mind with a sr above 350bhp is that the gearbox will wear alot quicker and you will need to get a upgrade box.like. rb25 box or r154 or z32/33 which are much stronger.

Rides
    Thanks! Think I need to see what each option comes up to cost wise etc as well. Also SR will generally be cheaper than RB I would assume!?

Rides
    That really doesn depend on how much you spend on the sr and a gearbox set up i think a z32 or z33 the kit on its own is over a grand so you got to add the box on top.

But if you can't do the work yourself then the fab work for piping, mounts all adds up really fast

Rides
    I think a tuned SR will get me what I want...the hassle or engine swap etc might not be worth it.....

Rides
    id stay with the SR personally, and ive done the RB option before

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by M.D. View Post
    id stay with the SR personally, and ive done the RB option before
    This