Thread: TV License query - TV Catchup on the go

Rides

TV License query - TV Catchup on the go

For those unaware, TV Catchup is a LIVE feed tv app.

If I reside somewhere that has a tv license in force, and BT internet, I know I can of course watch tv there, and can make use of TV Catchup in the house.

I therefore assume I can connect to a, say, BT Openzone wifi outside of the house somewhere, and use TV Catchup? Would I be right in saying I'd have to be located somewhere that is covered by a TV License, is that how it works? This is fine if sat in a pub, say, but what about in the middle of town - is it the user's tv license in force who's watching the show?

Therefore, if I were to be staying at a friends house who doesn't have a tv license currently, and I were to connect to a local BT Openzone wifi, would this entitle me to use TV Catchup to watch the damn BTTC this afternoon?

I've read their terms of service but it's not clear really - I don't want my friend busted he genuinely has no use for a tv license at this time, he has no tv until someone else moves in and pays half!

EDIT: I think the answer is NO as the premises isn't covered. But I'm wondering if I were to walk to the local pub, grab their wifi, and watch it on my S3, is this legal!?
    Last edited by Clouder_sx; 21-10-2012 at 09:55.

Rides
    From the tv licensing website:

"...This means a TV Licence doesn’t just cover you to watch TV at home on a TV set. You can also watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV, through all of these devices... As long as the address where you live is licensed, you’re also covered to watch TV outside your home using any device powered solely by its own internal batteries. This includes your mobile phone, laptop and tablet."

Ok, so does this mean I can watch it on my laptop (not plugged into the wall ) at my friends house!?? But my friend can't? God this is as clear as mud.

Rides
    It means you can watch the first ten mins till your battery dies

Rides
    You'll be fine, even with a laptop plugged in. The wording of that means you can't take your tv or your desktop pc to watch tv. Any mobile device is fine where ever you are so long as you have a tv license at your house.

Rides
    Not on the S3

This is doing my head in, can't ring tv licensing as they're shut on Sundays.

Surely if I can watch it outside my own home using my mobile, then the fact I'm sat inside a building that doesn't happen to have a TV license shouldn't make any difference? If I sat on the cliffs using 3g I'd be sat somewhere with no tv license in force!? So I guess it comes down to the fact that only I can watch it!?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    You'll be fine, even with a laptop plugged in. The wording of that means you can't take your tv or your desktop pc to watch tv. Any mobile device is fine where ever you are so long as you have a tv license at your house.
    Right on, so I can log in to tv-catchup on my laptop over bt openzone, and watch the BTTC in 10 minutes? As technically, I could be sat outside on the pavement watching it.. But when my mate returns home, I must hide the screen from him?

Rides
    Why not pop to the pub and politely ask if they would put it on there?

Rides
    You're covered by the tv license you have regardless of where you are, provided you're using a portable device, so laptop, phone, tablet and it can be plugged into the mains. You can't take a normal tv or a desktop pc.

Rides
    Cool. Watching it on the s3 as on the lappy it requires me to register and the race is about to start

Would go to the pub but it's a new place and I don't know the area at all

Rides
    What normal tv channel is it on?

Rides
    Itv4

Rides
    yeah just been watching it. Saw that iDaz on the tv too.

Rides
    Really? Awesome! I was going to go, but felt proper rough at 6:30 this morning, so didn't bother - kinda glad looking at the weather there!

Rides
    Iirc, Tvcatchup isnt actually live. Its actually about 30 seconds delayed.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by karlf View Post
    Iirc, Tvcatchup isnt actually live. Its actually about 30 seconds delayed.
    Correct, but I think it's classified as live tv