Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming PC - how/why/what?

Rides
    Yeah Titan is just out, looks to be a good card but ohh my god the price...

As for noise, Water for the win. Not only is it quiet but nets nice clocks as well

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross B View Post
    Del, where are you buying from? One online seller or each component from whichever seller is cheapest?
    Not started price checking yet, at the moment I've had a cursory look around and dabs seem to be pretty good on most stuff, but I intend to properly shop around before committing to try and save cash if I can.

So if you have any recommendations I'm all ears.

Buying it all from one place would be most convenient but if I can save a decent amount by going to different places for different parts I'm all for it.

Rides
    Was only goimg to say, I believe I get discount at dabs (I work for the company that own it), so if its cheaper to buy it from there I may be able to get it cheaper again.

Every little helps and all that.

Rides
    That would be outstanding if you do Ross.

A friend of my brother is checking with a few contacts he has but if you could PM me some details that would be great. Thank you

Rides
    I would try and help out Del but I wouldn't want to supply half the bits you've specced up. It's a personal thing, but I simply don't trust some of the brands you've picked - it's one of the reasons I've stayed out of this thread as I'm a little too opinionated on PC bits and pieces and I'd only get involved in lots of arguments .

To add some personal experience on the AMD(ATI)/nVidia debate, I've not had one ATI card fail on me personally and equally, I've not had one nVidia card fail either. My last 2 cards have been ATI (5870 and the current 6970), the previous 2 were nVidia and the ones prior to that were ATI, Voodoo and Matrox (and Orchid cards before that, way back in the early 90s). The only times I've seen problems with desktop graphics cards is when either the fan fails or with passively cool cards fitted with inadequate heatsinks (yes Asus, I'm looking at you) and in systems with inadequate cooling - I'm excluding failures from the likes of overclocking.

One quick thing, you are going to get the 3570K rather than the vanilla 3570 aren't you? It's only a few quid more and will open up the possibility of speeding it up later. Looking back, I wish I'd got the i5-2500K rather than the vanilla i5-2500 .

Rides
    Don't worry mate, all opinions are welcome here good or bad

I'm guessing its the Asus stuff you're not keen on from the heat sink comment?

And yes, it's the 3570k in the bundle I'm looking at, missed off the k when listing it here!

Rides
    Yeah always go for a K on an intel chip, its unlocked.
    If your building such a high powered system then you will be wanting to overclock it and the K series ones are what you really want for that.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Yeah always go for a K on an intel chip, its unlocked.
    If your building such a high powered system then you will be wanting to overclock it and the K series ones are what you really want for that.
    You say that but from my point of view I'd be buying a high powered system so I didn't have to bother pissing about overclocking it

That said, if there's little or no difference in price...

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Its the way i see it, overclocking is there to be taken advantage of.
    25% improvements to performance are usually easy and just sitting there for the taking - how much would it cost to get a 25% improvement in performance if you wanted to buy that.

Most of the time an overclock is a simple few buttons pressed, hence going for the K series stuff.

Rides
    its a well known fact Intel build there CPU's to be overclocked safely to a certain level. Hell they sometimes let turbo mode do it for you

Rides
    I'm sure I'll be more than happy with its standard performance but also knowing how I like to mess about with things I'm sure I'll take advantage of the overclocking sooner rather than later

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Most of the time an overclock is a simple few buttons pressed, hence going for the K series stuff.
    It isn't though, is it. First you've got to read several different people's opinions on what's safe/possible. Then you've got to try a few different settings to see what actually works - but you have to benchmark them all, check the temps to make sure nothing is getting too hot, and then you're still wondering if that's the best you could have done, if you're going to shorten the lifespan of your components etc.

Not to mention the fact that even if your overclock tests out OK, once you start actually playing stuff you can still run into issues. I like stuff that just works

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    As for the AMD/Nvidia argument...

I have been an AMD user for years really always fonud for the price you cant go wrong.. but recently i had been playing a lot of games that really didnt like AMD cards so i switched to NVIDIA.. a 670 overclocked from factory and tell you the truth i dont think i would go back to AMD now. Games jsut seem a lot smoother plus the physx is a nice addition.
    This is the one i have http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...14&subcat=2294

Picked it up for £299 tho in a sale.

As for overclocking hell its so much easier these days.. I remember back in 2000 AMD has just released a new wave of processors that smashed intels ones and the only way to over clock them was to get a pencil and bridge some external connector things.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/d...00/bridges.jpg

Now most new motherboards will come with overclocknig software in windows and msot will have default overclocking profiles for certain porcessors.. so it can just be a click of a button.

My i7 2700k is running at 4.6ghz with an off the self watercooling kit and the temp hardly moved from standard.. I could probally get it up to 5ghz but i have no need to at the moment as i have not found anything that really taxes my system. This was me overclocking the processor in the bios but just upping the multiplier from what i remember.. but the windows software for the mobo also had presets for the i7 2700k..
    Last edited by mks; 21-02-2013 at 08:38.

Rides
    Modest overclocks are an utter piece of piss, they just are. You can do a 20-25% clock in 10 mins.

Ok if you start wanting 50%+ then yeah you have to get involved but modest clocks are easy.

Rides
    Been running my i7 930 @ 3.6ghz from 2.8ghz stock for years, and my 580gtx at >900mhz from 825mhz stock on this card, or 775mhz stock reference speed.

But... well this is exciting... I just pre-ordered a GTX Titan this afternoon Oh well, that's me not going on holiday this year then. It's nearly my birthday... I mean... perfectly reasonable amount to spend on a graphics card if you ask me. Oooh, a unicorn just went past my window! Wibble.

Rides
    Unicorns are awesome

Rides
    Mmmmm, unicorns.

I've just been browsing the overclockers full system bundles and one of them is coming in very competitive against the cost of my bits (based on dabs.com prices).

It's the Titan 8900i and pricing it up with win 8 pro, a sound card and the HAF X gaming tower it's actually cheaper than the sum of my parts and comes with a two year warranty.

The main difference is that it comes with a 670 rather than the 680 Top I have spec'd, but they can also add this if I contact them so would be interesting to see what the cost would be then.

I'm not sure if maybe some of the bits are inferior?

If not, do I save a bit of money and have the warranty but miss out on the experience of building or just carry on with my build plan?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
    I'm guessing its the Asus stuff you're not keen on from the heat sink comment?
    Amongst others! It's the RAM that concerns me the most in your build. I've had to replace that particular RAM in 2 systems in the last few months because it was faulty - I went to both customers because they were complaining of random bluescreens (sometimes not even getting as far as the desktop) and both were solved by replacing the RAM with identical-spec Kingston parts. I picked on the RAM first because I've had quite a few other customers whose problems were caused by dodgy Corsair RAM modules. I simply don't trust the brand whatsoever .

As to your latest dilemma, it's part of the gamble between buying pre-built and building yourself. To be honest, building a PC is child's play and you'll probably do it, switch it on and go "oh, was that it? Was it really that easy?" so I wouldn't put much stock into that aspect. It's all about getting the specification YOU want the PC to be, not what somebody else has decided for you .

Rides
    Cheers cluck, useful input re the RAM. I'll have a look at rejigging my spec with Kingston and see how the cost comes out (I suspect it will be negligible).

It's only very marginal in terms of price difference, was just the warranty making it appealing really but I would enjoy the building I think so am not sure I want to skip that part of it. And you are right, doing it that way means I get to make it exactly what I want.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
    Cheers cluck, useful input re the RAM. I'll have a look at rejigging my spec with Kingston and see how the cost comes out (I suspect it will be negligible).

It's only very marginal in terms of price difference, was just the warranty making it appealing really but I would enjoy the building I think so am not sure I want to skip that part of it. And you are right, doing it that way means I get to make it exactly what I want.
    Equivalent Kingston stuff will be a HyperX Predator module if I remember rightly . And yeah, it's going to be a few £s difference which is negligible in the overall cost of the system .

One thing I didn't pick up on earlier, but re. the anti-static straps, make sure that the first thing you do is get the PSU in the case, screw it in and then plug it into the mains (with the mains off) and don't handle ANY of the other components - even in their anti-static bags - until you've earthed yourself. There's no point wearing the strap if the case isn't earthed . All that said, I hate those wrist straps and don't ever use them .