Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming PC - how/why/what?

Rides
    Opinion seems very split I've noticed when talking about Nvidea or ATI/AMD cards.

Isn't the 7970 more a competitor for the GTX 680? I'll have a look and see if I can find a 7970 for the same money as the 670 then find some benchmark comparisons

Rides
    Yes it is but the CUII is a heavily overclocked card and thus costs wonga, you are much better getting a 7970 (which is prob going to be a little cheeper) and overclocking it.

The 7970 is the fastest gpu at the moment, but in a few days time Nvidias massive Titan will be released thats faster, unfortunatally at circa £800 a card its taking the piss a bit.

Rides
    From what I've seen generally you get a bit more bang for your buck with the AMD stuff but the Nvidia cards seem to break less, certainly not as many for spares on eBay

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Aw jeez, I had my spec more or less nailed and now I'm all confused again

Cost wise, doesn't seem to be much in it between the gtx 670 cu II and a 7970 ghz edition. Trying to find a straight up non biased comparison seems to be akin to finding rocking horse poo full of hens teeth taking a shower in blood pouring out of a stone. I thought PS3 and Xbox fanboys were bad, they've got nothing on these GPU keyboard warriors

I'll carry on trying to read up and try to find a legit comparison. I also need to read up on what PhysX brings to the table as it seems the Nvidia cards offer this where tr AMD cards don't.

Other than a direct comparrison I might just see which one comes with better free games

How noisy is a 7970 ghz edition? The asus 670 is apparently pretty much silent. Not that I can't get around a little fan noise by just turning up the volume on the 5.1

It's amazing how much I've learned in the last couple of weeks, have gone from knowing sweet FA about PC components and how they fit together to now having a reasonable frame of reference for most bits inside my budget and still so much to learn!

Rides
    I only go by what a handfull of pro sites say.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/E...ture_2/27.html This is a review of a similar factory overclocked 670 and you can see where it fits in, pay attention to the 1080p res as thats the most important.

If you want proper reviews go to, techpowerup,annandtec, tomshardware, the techreport ect...

AMD has just done the neversettle 2 bundle which comes with crysis 3 ect, i dont know why anyone would want to buy a 6xx series right now.

Rides
    So after a fair bit more reading, the 7970 does seem to offer more for my cash.

The question is, which version to go for? By all accounts Asus seem to have the best cooler setup but it seems to come at a cost, both in terms of price (only an extra £30 or so) but more in terms of space, making it a 3 slot card. It also seems to require an adaptor for hdmi output (included, but I don't like the idea of adapters).

The others that seem to be good on the cooling front are the Sapphire Vapor-X and the Gigabyte Windforce 3x versions.

The Sapphire seems to be more favourable I think.

Getting there!

Rides
    Anytime I've used AMD kit its been noticeably shit. From my experience you'd better going for premium kit. Intel and nvidia
    Still rocking out with a Quad Core Q6600 and Nvidia GTX570 and still running great. Cant say i've had the same longevity with AMD, i would have melted two cases by now
    Last edited by Liam; 17-02-2013 at 23:17.

Rides
    Can you quantify/evidence what you mean Liam?

All I find is posts like yours with an equal number saying the opposite and no evidence to support either one being less reliable than the other in any drastic way.

In terms of performance, a Ghz 7970 does seem to show the 670 and in many cases the 680 a clean pair of heels in reviews and benchmarks.

At the end of the day, whichever I go for will be fairly unstrained only running TV resolutions on a single screen.

But if you can point me in the direction if genuine unbiased tests proving one over the other I'd be grateful as I want to get the best I can for the budget.
    Last edited by Delboy; 18-02-2013 at 06:27.

Rides
    This probably sums it up:

Nvidia = iPhone
    AMD = HTC/Android/whatever...

I'd go for Nvidia personally.

Rides
    ^ HTC also us nvidia CPU's and GPU's in there one x.

I wouldnt buy anything else but intel and Nvidia stuff.

If you looking for something sub 500 then

I7 2700k
    Decent motherboard / 16 ram
    6series Graphics card

Rides
    Sweet zombie Jesus this is getting to be hard work!

Looking at the cold hard numbers, the 7970 Ghz > GTX 670 CUii TOP.

Other than 'I would go Nvidia because I like them' can anyone give me technical reasons (that are quantifiable/provable) why I should go back to the 670 on my shopping list? I can't stretch to a 680 at the mo, so it is between 670 and 7970.

Rides
    Del, like I said, go look on ebay for second hand cards that are a couple of years old. You will find a LOT more broken ATI/AMD stuff than Nvidia stuff. I mean Xbox vs PS3 sort of levels of reliability.

That said, if you plan on replacing it every 18 months or so then I'm sure you'll be fine.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Cheers Pete, I'll take a look.

This is pretty much the last part I need to settle on before melting my credit card.

I have no past experience to draw on and just want to make the best decision with the info available, gets frustrating looking at the various forums and just seeing 'big this because the other one is shit' posts all the time.

Equally, I can understand numbers don't tell the whole story either.

I'm guessing cooling and whether or not so etching has been OC'd has a big effect on reliability too, which is why I'm looking at cards with better coolers rather than ones that come with the stock ones.

Will continue digging!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1989 View Post
    ^ HTC also us nvidia CPU's and GPU's in there one x.
    Microsoft and Sony will be using ATI chipsets in their next gen consoles.

Rides
    And that's another consideration I've been having, in theory, for cross platform stuff, if running AMD/ATI hardware will a port be more likely to be a consistent experience than using different hardware? Or does it really not matter?

Edit: I'm talking in terms of when the next gen consoles arrive obviously

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
    And that's another consideration I've been having, in theory, for cross platform stuff, if running AMD/ATI hardware will a port be more likely to be a consistent experience than using different hardware? Or does it really not matter?

Edit: I'm talking in terms of when the next gen consoles arrive obviously

i wouldnt think it will matter much, i was just pointing out the revelencee (or lack of) to know that Nvidea are doing the GPU's for mobile devices.

Rides
    What an utter load of noob rubbish, nvidia and intel "premium" good god.

Tell that to all the portable owners who suffered from "bumbgate" or intels infamous line of cock ups which are to numerous to mention.
    Amd, intel, nvidia ect all make an arse of stuff on a regular basis, neither is particularly much better than the other.

All the next gen consoles appear to have AMD Gpu's and the xbox and ps4 will also likely have AMD cpu's... so they must be real shit eh?

Rides
    The most significant reason IMO to buy an nVidia card is PhysX support; not all games use it, but for the ones that do I feel it's a nice addition.

For the soundcard and dolby digital, I only make use of the sound capabilities of my graphics card (570 GTX), and I specifically get DD/DTS when I have a DD source (eg Bluray), and get full 5.1 multichannel sound the rest of the time - Skyrim in particular is a good one. So no, you don't necessarily need a dedicated soundcard - put the funds from that towards GPU/storage performance.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
    The most significant reason IMO to buy an nVidia card is PhysX support; not all games use it, but for the ones that do I feel it's a nice addition.

For the soundcard and dolby digital, I only make use of the sound capabilities of my graphics card (570 GTX), and I specifically get DD/DTS when I have a DD source (eg Bluray), and get full 5.1 multichannel sound the rest of the time - Skyrim in particular is a good one. So no, you don't necessarily need a dedicated soundcard - put the funds from that towards GPU/storage performance.
    In addition, the Keplar based cards support HD Audio Bitstreaming

Rides
    I cant be arsed writing the million reasons for not buying AMD/ATI stuff.

Its all down to personal experience and when looking at new kit, Intel's stuff is normal ahead when comparing bang for buck. You only need to have a look at CPU benchmark to find the Intel CPUs are on top.

Basted on my own experiences of AMD kit, its pish. Anytime i built an AMD machine or ATI graphics card i had issues. However i've only built one AMD machine and im pretty sure it was down to a bad motherboard, ended up just replacing it with the intel equivalent.

But since this isn't a discussion about witch manufacture is best, and what to buy. Two of my friends have recently bought and there well chuffed with it (Arma 2/Far Cry on full)

Intel 2700k
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H S1155 Intel Z77 DDR3 ATX
    2*Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 Vengeance Black Performance Desktop Memory Kit
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI OC
    SSD 120Gb Kingston
    1tb Sata 3 HDD

Reused Case/PSU for sub £500ish

Mostly from dabs i think. You wont find better bang for buck imo.