Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Gaming PC - how/why/what?

Rides
    It seems there are a few more Korean monitors that will overclock now, with fast despatch and prices for less than £300 for a screen checked for no dead pixels. 1440p resolution and usually clock to between 85hz to 110hz if you are lucky. Considering one for games that aren't online first person shooters, anyone else used one?

Rides
    I am gonna need an upgrade lol.

Rides
    I am back on this again as the PS3 league that i race in is moving to PCso if i want tocarry on racing i will need a Rig.

Is there much difference between AMD processors and Intel?
    I'm sure everyone will have a favorite and not want to start a fanboy war just some objective advice.

For instance the top i7 i could find on dabs 3770 i think runs at 3.4 GHZ and costs £260 wheras the top AMD FX9590 runs at 5GHZ.
    Is this some clever marketing crap or are intel really that far behind?

Thanks

Nath

Rides
    You do not rate processor speeds on clock speed alone, not by a log way. Just like you dont rate them against no of cores.

The 3770 from intel runs about 1.1ghz lower clock speed than AMD's fx9590 but... in a lot of tasks (and in a lot of games) it is significantly faster. Why? Because it does more per clock cycle than the FX cpu.
    That said the FX is also pretty quick and for some tasks is faster so you need to weigh up the pro's and con's.

Also the 3770 is now old hat, we are now on the 4770 (Haswell based) intel chips.

Imho if you want to game on a PC you do not start buy specing a top end CPU as the CPU is not the primary driver in gaming. The graphics card is.
    Almost any 100-150 quid CPU from intel or AMD is more than enough for PC gaming, so thats really an i5 type cpu or fx8320 which are both good cpu's for decent money.
    Also with Mantle (and an AMD video card) the cpu is even less important as a lot of the load is dumped to the massive power of the GPU which is many times quicker. I can game at nearl 60fps in 64player maps on BF4 with an old and out dated QX9650 with mantle.

Rides
    I think i understood the first s3entance in that lol.

I actually meant the 4770 Intel rather than the 3770 - sorry my mistake.

I figured it would be me no understanding stuff rather than poor intel design.

The PC will be used ONLY for gaming and nothing else at all (not even browsing).

Going for an AMD combination seems to be generally cheaper than an intel equivalent.

I'm currently looking at an AMD R9 270X or an nvidia GTX 760 although the nvidia is £50 more.

Rides
    Both the 270x and 760 are nice cards, imho with mantle only supporting AMD cards at the moment you would be well advised to use them (unless the specific games you are playing are geared towards Nvidia gpu's)

What resolution are you gaming on?
    The 270x is based on the Pitcairn gpu, this is the successor to the 7850/7870 gpu's from last year and is pretty decent - however i would try and shell out a bit more for a 280x (successor to the 7970) or even better the r9 290 which is the DADDY.

Again save the money you would spend on a top cpu and put it into the graphics card as for gaming thats the big important bit.

Rides
    It will be at full 1080HD.
    What about the motherboard as that seems to be quite an expensive bit (looking at ASUS maximums VI Hero)?

Rides
    Well you dont need to go buying an expensive MB either, there are plenty of decent ones out there for modest money.

In gaming you aught to prioritize the following.

GPU
    SSD
    Memory (8gb min)
    CPU (Any decent modern quad core i5 or 6/8 core FX)
    PSU (650w+)

Rides
    Which game are your PS3 racing league going to on PC, out of interest?

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Well you dont need to go buying an expensive MB either, there are plenty of decent ones out there for modest money.

In gaming you aught to prioritize the following.

GPU
    SSD
    Memory (8gb min)
    CPU (Any decent modern quad core i5 or 6/8 core FX)
    PSU (650w+)
    OK thanks i will go and have another look.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
    Which game are your PS3 racing league going to on PC, out of interest?
    Probably start on R factor 2 until assetto corsa gains multiplayer.

Rides
    Do they all hate GT6 that much?

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Do they all hate GT6 that much?
    Pretty much yes. TBH i can't see how anyone could not hate it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by redlinezak View Post
    Pretty much yes. TBH i can't see how anyone could not hate it.
    I quite like it - it reminds me of GT4 in a lot of ways and that brings some nost***ia value for me because I had a lot of fun with that game

I've had more "fun" playing it than I have Forza 5 on the new Xbox although I'll concede that FM5 is probably technically a better race sim.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Budget is the single most important factor when building a PC. The Athlon II overclocks to stink and will run almost anything out now just fine when paired with a reasonable GPU - and costs peanuts, but you wouldn't even consider it if you had £1000 to spend.

Rides
    I quite like it - it reminds me of GT4 in a lot of ways and that brings some nost***ia value for me because I had a lot of fun with that game

I've had more "fun" playing it than I have Forza 5 on the new Xbox although I'll concede that FM5 is probably technically a better race sim.
    I think pretty much all of my problems with it are online issues. If you dont play online then maybe its ok.
    GT5 had some problems with online play but GT6 is step back.
    The thing is they are not minor little niggles they are online game breakers (glitches and tyre selection problems when pitting etc plus the massive connection unreliablity).

I am a huge GT fan and have all of the series going back to the PS1 (which i still have) but i think for me GT6 has finished the series off and not finished on a high.

Rides
    These two websites will give you a good starting point for a specification - once you have something you like the look of, come back here and we'll help you tweak it a bit further to suit your specific needs:

http://www.choosemypc.net/
    http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Rides
    Lol at what those websites create, my word... i wouldnt build a box based on there recommendations.

Logical increments, no mention of the r9 290 (the best price/performance ratio video card out there at the moment) also a lot of bloody air coolers being used and no recommendations for closed loop water which is far superior.
    As for choose my pc, it gave me a crap nvidia 770 video card another bloody air cooler (even when i specced overclock) and a shite 500w psu in my 950quid budget.

naa... lol

Rides
    IMAG0097.jpg

The current sideways drivel creator, its also sporting a nice NZXT fan controller for those two rads as well as the other fans. Its silent.

Rides
    On the air cooler subject the Noctua NH-D14 repeatedly came out better in tests then the equivalent cost closed loop water cooler (H100i I believe at the time), it was quieter and cooled marginally better even in overclocked situations. It's why I went for it and no regrets. It is huge though, so if space is a concern a water cooled option is prob better. But just pointing out air isn't necessarily inferior.

Also, if your only going to be gaming at 1080p you won't need a be all end all card. That's what I game at and I think my 680 might be overkill. Still, you may want to up your resolution in future if you get a proper monitor so better to have the extra grunt on standby IMO plus means you are future proofing to a degree.

Rides
    Good air coolers can indeed do well at cooling, however i have always found them to be nosier than water for the same cooling capacity - maybe thats just the way i had them in cases....
    Now of course a cheep and crappy placed rad will not be as good as a decent air cooler with high quality fan+controller+case but then that would be obvious. A well placed decent rad will also do very well and should be quiet as well.

One things for sure, if you get an R9 290(or X) with stock cooler then get rid of it as its crap.NZXT do the Kraken cooler which will allow you to mount a cheep closed loop cooler to a modern video card easily and cheaply.