Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming PC - how/why/what?

Rides
    I'm skipping 3 screens (even though I've got the space for it) and waiting for the Occulus Rift to get released instead. Not sure when that will be though, since one of the founders (he was also the lead engineer) was killed last week - he got hit, whilst crossing the road, by a car being chased by the police

Rides

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
    I'm skipping 3 screens (even though I've got the space for it) and waiting for the Occulus Rift to get released instead. Not sure when that will be though, since one of the founders (he was also the lead engineer) was killed last week - he got hit, whilst crossing the road, by a car being chased by the police
    I'm curious about the rift. Hopefully it will turn out to be good and not another dud VR venture.

Read that about the chap getting killed. Wrong place at the wrong time, very sad

Quote Originally Posted by weiner_patrol View Post
    That's ridiculous! Just been added to my 'lottery list' though

Rides
    This is the front end to the massive sideways14a bullshit making machine, its controlled by me at all times and has a layout that goes.
    Input (Left) > Process (Center) > Output (Right)

Stuff thats reasonably intelligent goes in one side and out the other spews utter shite.

I also use it for playing the odd game on.

mysetup.jpg

Rides
    I just built up a PC, not specifically for gaming but i am a gamer. Intel i5 3570, GeForce GT630 2Gb graphics card and 8Gb of 1600MHz RAM. With that spec can anyone suggest any good PC games i should try out that i can run at a half decent level? I honestly dont know a great deal about PCs i just built the best spec that i could with my budget and thats what i came up with so ive zero idea of what its capable of. So as im completely out the loop for PC games (console gamer over here) i was hoping a few could be suggested, just not RPG's as im not a fan.

Oh, and Deacon already caught my eye with a screenshot of the original Counter Strike so im going to start there lol.

Cheers

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MaccyD View Post
    I just built up a PC, not specifically for gaming but i am a gamer. Intel i5 3570, GeForce GT630 2Gb graphics card and 8Gb of 1600MHz RAM. With that spec can anyone suggest any good PC games i should try out that i can run at a half decent level? I honestly dont know a great deal about PCs i just built the best spec that i could with my budget and thats what i came up with so ive zero idea of what its capable of. So as im completely out the loop for PC games (console gamer over here) i was hoping a few could be suggested, just not RPG's as im not a fan.

Oh, and Deacon already caught my eye with a screenshot of the original Counter Strike so im going to start there lol.

Cheers
    You should be able to play most games at Medium settings with that card, personally if you wanted to play on high or above I would change that card as that is what is holding you back. Is your i5 3570 a K version?

Rides
    You should be able to run anything you want with that Maccy. Certainly still run something like FC3 at near max settings, probably totally maxed out. Even medium will look a lot better than on the 360/PS3

Keep an eye on the specials section of Steam and grab a bargain

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
    You should be able to run anything you want with that Maccy. Certainly still run something like FC3 at near max settings, probably totally maxed out. Even medium will look a lot better than on the 360/PS3

Keep an eye on the specials section of Steam and grab a bargain
    I just checked that card if it is the one I think it is then it's a card designed more for laptops and such I would've gone for a GTX 660/650ti if on a budget

Rides
    Ah, misread the card... Teach me to post while on a conf call at work!!

Maybe not max then, although I guess it depends. Could prob push the quality higher and lose some frames per second, or go lower for more smoothness.

As mentioned on my previous post though, even medium will look sweet coming from a console

Rides
    The 630 is very low end, so your going to be running lower res, lower detail and no AA /filtering.

Rides
    Yeah, its a bit late to change now as its inside my pc, and im thinking it cant be for a laptop as its too thick with the fan. This is the exact card

Asus GT630-2GD3

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compon...57164-pdt.html

Not alot of money but i built it for video editing so it was processor power i wanted and RAM not graphics card as a priority.

Rides
    Well way to shoot me down sideways lol, knew i shouldnt have come a tried to mix it with the big boys. Havent even had a game reccomended just the fact that my graphics card is shit lol

Rides
    Where did i say it was shit?
    I am pointing out that class of card is for 720p no high detail situations, similar to intel 4000 series graphics and stuff like APU's.
    Its a low end descrete GPU, if thats what you need for the job then fine.

Rides
    Anything that's a console port will probably be fine as they're generally not demanding - try Modern Warfare 3

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MaccyD View Post
    Well way to shoot me down sideways lol, knew i shouldnt have come a tried to mix it with the big boys. Havent even had a game reccomended just the fact that my graphics card is shit lol
    Chill dude, no one is shooting anyone down as far as I can see.

As you say, you've built it for what you wanted and gaming wasn't the priority so what you have is a good spec. It's just a fact you're not going to get max settings from it, but as I'm trying to get across you will still see a noticable difference from consoles

Don't worry about not running AA, 90% of the time I don't bother with AA as prefer the higher frame rate without it.

As for games, I suggested FC3, you'll still be able to run that just not flat out but it will still be pretty not sure what you like? Amnesia is great if you like to shit your pants and you will be able to run that full whack I expect. Strike suit zero is a cool space shooter if you like that kind of thing. FPS wise you've got pretty much the same selection as you do on consoles, fill your boots!

Rides
    Cool, cheers Del. Thinking i might need to pick up a headset as it seems my Turtle Beaches from the XBox arent compatible. Any recommendations?

Rides
    Headsets I'm afraid I know nothing about as I've not picked up one myself yet.

If it's just the mic you want you can use a standard 360 headset via the 360 controller if you have either a wired 360 controller or the Microsoft wireless Xbox controller adaptor. The issue is you won't be wanting to use a controller online in an FPS on PC, you'll die lots!

Rides
    Haha yeah i figured as much. I dont get why the X41's dont work. Theyre just a USB powered wireless hub with optical input, i was hoping theyd be universal as theyre wireless but apparently not according to teh internetz. I will have to go old school and type!!

Battlefield 3 still has a pretty big following on pc doesnt it? Thats tempting, along with CS and possibly TF2 for the lolz

Rides
    Razer Timat 7.1 is a awesome headset - Pricey though.

Rides
    Yeah battlefield 3 has a huge following still, though I must confess I've not picked it up yet

Hawken is a free to play online mech FPS, I've not tried it yet but looks good and will be downloading it at some point.