Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming PC - how/why/what?

Rides
    GO extreme, if you do get higher temps don't forget to fit that extra fan also I have mine running at 4.5 so you have a bit more of a scope. The Asus AI suite is so easy to use.

Rides
    I'm going to fit the fan and light this weekend

I'm happy with where it is at the mo, unstressed and more than I need. If it ever starts to struggle I'll go extreme. Was really impressed with the AI suite software, also used it to set up my fans properly and that was simple too.

Rides
    4.3GHz should be fine and is an appreciable leap in performance over the standard clock (it's what I'm running - I relented and got a 3570K aswell ). I can tell you that Windows boots faster and I'm seeing much smoother performance in Project CARS as a result of the overclock .

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
    I'm going to fit the fan and light this weekend

I'm happy with where it is at the mo, unstressed and more than I need. If it ever starts to struggle I'll go extreme. Was really impressed with the AI suite software, also used it to set up my fans properly and that was simple too.
    I have mine set up to run faster but because the top fans are connected to the H100i it's that which is controlling the top fans and it seems as if they hardly spin up at all lol. Also I noticed a price decrease in GTX 680s and i'm really tempted to buy one and go SLI

Rides
    4.3 big ones is a decent first time clock for that bit of silicon, it makes all the difference and is free performance so take it.

I am still holding off till the end of the year to see if Haswell is worth it, or it will drop the price of Ivybridge chips - finally i still have to keep an eye on Steamroller as it could come out as a superstar or another puff of hot air.

As for the video cards, the 780 and 770 have just been released and should push the prices of 680s down market, the 770 especially as its basically just an overclocked 680 will really help do this to the 680 and 7970GE so if your looking for that second card to crossfire/sli then now might be the time.

Rides
    I had noticed the launch of the 7 series cards and straight away had the same thoughts as you Alan, reduced 6 series prices meaning SLI ideas! I really don't need that extra oomph right now though so will wait for further price drops I think

Rides
    Not yet, but what about when they start releasing next gen games I have seen one dip below £300, just hoping the Asus CUII Top ones drop to that price.

Rides
    Our specs are already higher than the next gen consoles, sure things will move on in PC land too but I think we'll be alright for a while yet

Rides
    Our specs are already higher than the next gen consoles, sure things will move on in PC land too but I think we'll be alright for a while yet
    Well they have already moved on in PC land (the Titan & 7 series cards). But I see what your getting at. I had always planned on going SLI hopefully now I can do it sooner than I planned

Rides
    The 780 aint worth it, what... 15-20% over the 7970GE and about 25% over the 680... not for the money they are asking... sod that.
    Titan is stupid money..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    The 780 aint worth it, what... 15-20% over the 7970GE and about 25% over the 680... not for the money they are asking... sod that.
    Titan is stupid money..
    That's at both standard clocks though still it will be interesting to see the differences between 680 in SLI vs 780 OC.

Rides
    Agree completely sideways, I was more getting at the newer ones being good as they mean the previous models will be dropping in price

Alan, I think the goalposts are constantly moving in PC land, it would get very expensive very quickly trying to keep up with it when I specced mine up I tried to make it capable of lasting as long as possible for my budget in terms of staying capable, time will tell if I got it right!

Rides
    Agree completely sideways, I was more getting at the newer ones being good as they mean the previous models will be dropping in price

Alan, I think the goalposts are constantly moving in PC land, it would get very expensive very quickly trying to keep up with it when I specced mine up I tried to make it capable of lasting as long as possible for my budget in terms of staying capable, time will tell if I got it right!
    And me too, this rig hopefully should last me 5 years the case should last about 10 who knows maybe more lol

Rides
    Fingers crossed! We've got largely the same spec so if one of us is right we both are

Rides
    Yea pretty much identical only difference is the CPU cooler PSU & slightly different motherboard. Oh and I have a cooler Keyboard

Rides
    Haha! True story!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by *alansx* View Post
    That's at both standard clocks though still it will be interesting to see the differences between 680 in SLI vs 780 OC.
    Yeah stock clocks, which is getting harder to find these days.
    Just about everyone does a 680 whizz bang edition or a 7970GE + loads of Mhz edition, of course there are plenty of 780 clocked ones coming out as well.

Rides
    EVGA already has an overclocked 780 that goes toe to toe with the Titan. Much better value at £200-250 less, if still a little overpriced.
    If you've got a 680, the 780 isn't worth upgrading but if you're a generation skipper (isn't everyone now?) and you're on a 580, its a decent proposal.

Rides
    I just added another 570 to my gaming rig, 3 monitor gaming is definately the way forward, and cant see the need to increase processor power as yet

Rides
    If I had a man cave I'd like to move the PC in there and go three monitor

Want happen until we move though and that's a couple of years away.