Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Gaming PC - how/why/what?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by redlinezak View Post
    OK lets try this for starters.

Gigabyte Luxo X10 Gaming Case £41.32
    Zalman LQ310 Ultimate Liquid CPU Cooler £55.94
    Corsair 700W Gaming Series GS700 2013 Edition 80+ Bronze, ATX, PS/2 PSU £69.99
    Intel Core i5-4670K S1150 3.4GHz 6MB Haswell Quad Core Processor Unlocked £191.66 (comes with GRID2 free)
    ASRock Z87 Extreme4 S1150 Intel Z87 DDR3 ATX £150.66
    Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) HyperX Predator DDR3 2400MHz DIMM CL11 XMP £64.99)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI OC £152.98
    OCZ Technology 256GB Agility 4 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive £119.98

Total of that lot is £847.52 which is a bit more than i was expecting.
    I picked everything kinda at random largely due to what pretty colour it was and that it was towards the cheaper end of the price scale.
    All sourced from Dabs.

Will that lot work and what would people recommend i changed to reduce costs and/or improve performance?

Also have i totally forgotten anything ?
    Thanks

Thats a decent enough start point for a good gamnig rig really.. tho you could maybe get a slightly cheaper mobo one for around £100 will still do all you need you could put that extra cash into the graphics card then.
    Somthing like this for the mobo.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=5&subcat=2574

Didnt realise those Haswells where so cheap. You may as well stick with that I guess.

With that £50 you save on the mobo you could try and save a bit more as well and get this card.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...14&subcat=2294

As for the OS your right that will bump the price up a bit as well so maybe the better graphics card is not an option..
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=SW-152-MS

Rides
    I like the look of that graphics card. Am i right in thinking that a dual link DVI port will allow me to run 2 monitors from it? So that card you mention will allow 4 monitors from it 2 dual link DVI ports?

Thanks

Rides
    IIRC dual link just allows higher resolutions. Most graphics cards these days have 2 DVIs and an HDMI port (which you can still use for DVI with a converter).

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    ^^^ what he said, don't be fooled by the name (really wish they'd thought of something better than dual-link to describe what it does ), each DVI port will feed one monitor.

Rides
    I like the look of that graphics card. Am i right in thinking that a dual link DVI port will allow me to run 2 monitors from it? So that card you mention will allow 4 monitors from it 2 dual link DVI ports?

Thanks
    If your wanting to game at high res/detail across more than one monitor you will need something with a lot more horse power than a 670.

Multi monitor gaming requires high powered cards, 690 or 7990 imho.

Rides
    Ahh ok that may rule that out for now then. Was hoping to eventually get a triple screen setup running but for now im sure a single good sized monito will do fine.
    Cheers for the info on the dual link as i would have no doubt got that very wrong lol.

Rides
    My triple monitor gaming is presently powered by 2 570gtx's running total resolution of 5340 x 1050 at over 100FPS!!

Being lazy, the image is on bookface, so apologies if you cant see if

Dual monitors for gaming is almost pointless bar RTS games. Borderlands 2 however looks absolutely stunning on three!

Rides
    Been toying with the thought of 3 monitors at home...I have other things to do first but probably will end up doing it soon...

Rides
    And defying clucks earlier statement, I would throw 16gb in ram in any machine I build, and get rid of the windows swap file altogether, significant speed increase even on SSD! You don't have to worry about photoshop, as it manages its own scratch disk! You then learn how sloppily coded things have become when Dawn of War II moans it wants more than 12gb? REALLY? (needless to say it doesn't get played anymore).

Rides
    It really makes that much of a difference does it Vez? I might have to upgrade then .

Rides
    That triple setup looks great.
    If you have three screens on 2 cards then does that mean 1 card is working 50% harder than the other or are they linked in some way?

Cheers

Rides
    How far down do you have to turn the detail, Vez for 100fps+ on three screens with two 570s? I have a Titan which is twice as fast as my old 580 and often dipa under 100fps at just 1080p... well on BF3 anyway! So long as I'm around 100fps I'm happy though, using a 144hz monitor and it often enough hits 144fps

Still waiting for monitors that can do over 60fps and higher resolution than 1080p... you can still only have either one or the other unless you're willing to import a certain Korean monitor which will overclock, but even then they aren't guaranteed to work and are pretty cheaply contructed... and apparently they whine.

Rides
    Catleap? Asus just announced a 30" 144Hz 4K monitor at CES. That enough resolution for you? Apparently its using 3x 680 GTX to push 30fps. =/

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro View Post
    Catleap? Asus just announced a 30" 144Hz 4K monitor at CES. That enough resolution for you? Apparently its using 3x 680 GTX to push 30fps. =/
    3x 680s here's me thinking I could run sli 680s and run 4k resolutions (when I upgrade my TV in about 3-4 years)

Rides
    Well at least you should be able to turn the AA off with a 4k 30" screen Ought to buy you a few extra frames... 4k is a great resolution but I think they're only doing 60hz again. I would be happy with a 27 inch 1400p at 120hz

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vez View Post
    My triple monitor gaming is presently powered by 2 570gtx's running total resolution of 5340 x 1050 at over 100FPS!!

Being lazy, the image is on bookface, so apologies if you cant see if

Dual monitors for gaming is almost pointless bar RTS games. Borderlands 2 however looks absolutely stunning on three!
    You got one of these Vez?

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/18/c...mulator-in-uk/

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
    It really makes that much of a difference does it Vez? I might have to upgrade then .
    Things become instant snappy (need another description really) there is no tiny lag with things coming off disk, if you used apples way back when (they didn't have swap files ) you will know what I mean

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dow View Post
    How far down do you have to turn the detail, Vez for 100fps+ on three screens with two 570s? I have a Titan which is twice as fast as my old 580 and often dipa under 100fps at just 1080p... well on BF3 anyway! So long as I'm around 100fps I'm happy though, using a 144hz monitor and it often enough hits 144fps

Still waiting for monitors that can do over 60fps and higher resolution than 1080p... you can still only have either one or the other unless you're willing to import a certain Korean monitor which will overclock, but even then they aren't guaranteed to work and are pretty cheaply contructed... and apparently they whine.
    I will double check frame rates on Dirt2 when I get a chance, all I can actually remember is that detail wise everything is maxed!

Rides
    That triple setup looks great.
    If you have three screens on 2 cards then does that mean 1 card is working 50% harder than the other or are they linked in some way?

Cheers
    NVidia has several modes of SLI, normal day to day I will just run it in "Activate all displays" as this works best for desktop stuff. Gaming on three you enable "span displays with surround" so then both cards share the load

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vez View Post
    Gaming on three you enable "span displays with surround" so then both cards share the load
    I just leave it in that mode all the time. Task bar defaults to middle monitor with the newer 3XX drivers. Probably not as power efficient?
    I use Ultramon if I need individual task bars on each monitor.