Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV Wall Bracket on Plasterboard?

Rides

TV Wall Bracket on Plasterboard?

Hi

Just bought an LG LED TV and a wall mount.

I want to mount it on my bedroom wall in my apartment, I think it is plasterboard as it sounds very hollow.

What's the best way to mount the TV? It's quite light, and I got the lightest wall mount I could!

Any help would be much appriciated!

Rides
    There will be a framework of wooden studs that he plasterboard is fixed to, find the studs and bolt the bracket to these.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    There will be a framework of wooden studs that he plasterboard is fixed to, find the studs and bolt the bracket to these.
    This - find the joists and use them for fixings. If your bracket doesn't fit to align to the joists then use a bit of ply; attach that to the wall with good fixings and then bolt / screw the bracket to the wood for the support it needs.

Rides
    Yup, big screws into the studs if its a stud wall.
    If its dot and dabbed you'll need to go through to the brick, use anchor bolts, and then a sleeve to brimg it level with the surface.

In our old house I used a heft of thick ply, screwed that to the studs, then screwed the bracket to that.

Rides
    i found some plasterboard fixings that were good to take 25kg (iirc) i used these on a 37" lcd tv. I had one larger bolt going through one of the wooden studs, and around 7 of these fixings.

Rides
    In our bedroom we have a 32" Samsung hanging off. We used 3 screws into the stud behind, and another 3 plasterboard fixings. Been up for almost a year with no problems.

Rides
    Any fixing even even small as long as they are in the studs will be fine.

Remember the weight is pulling down on the fixing not away from it.

Id actually trust a few plasterboard fixings if i had enough. But stud is always best.

Rides
    Toggle fixings are good for the fixings that miss the studs, the screws you do hit the studs with should be beefy like 10"3's

Rides
    If stud partition then you ideally need to find the studs and get a few fixings in these, if they are metal studs then dont trust any load bearing fixing.

Options are to use cavity wall fixings not the worm drive type the winged type.

If it's an external wall then it's going to be dot and dab so mark out the bracket and the fixings on the wall and cut the plasterboard in a slot top and bottom fixings to reveal the brick behind.

Cut a piece of wood to fill the gap you have now created and fix to the brick work using 3 2 inch 10's

Now just fix the tv bracket to the wooden batten and you have a super secure tv.

The issue you have with dot an dab is if you simply drill through the plasterboard into the wall and just secure the bracket to the plasterboard, as you tighten the fixings up it just distorts the plasterboard and creates all sorts of issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    How big? Sounds like a small one if you say it's light? The newer <22" are actually pretty damn light, and I wouldn't be too concerned about hanging it off 4-6 plasterboard fixings, if it came to it. Have shelves holding quite a lot of weight, more so than a small tv I'd say. But any decent weight I wouldn't trust without joists.

Rides
    Twice as many views as the McLaren GT thread

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran O'Quick View Post
    Twice as many views as the McLaren GT thread

Been on the board three times as long

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouder_sx View Post
    Been on the board three times as long
    Fair enough, especially as I've some DIY questions coming up

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by VIDAL BABBOON View Post
    If stud partition then you ideally need to find the studs and get a few fixings in these, if they are metal studs then dont trust any load bearing fixing.

Options are to use cavity wall fixings not the worm drive type the winged type.

If it's an external wall then it's going to be dot and dab so mark out the bracket and the fixings on the wall and cut the plasterboard in a slot top and bottom fixings to reveal the brick behind.

Cut a piece of wood to fill the gap you have now created and fix to the brick work using 3 2 inch 10's

Now just fix the tv bracket to the wooden batten and you have a super secure tv.

The issue you have with dot an dab is if you simply drill through the plasterboard into the wall and just secure the bracket to the plasterboard, as you tighten the fixings up it just distorts the plasterboard and creates all sorts of issues.
    ^^^^ This man speaks a lot of sense.
    I 'sleeved' a few on D&D with some pipe to stop it compressing, and it's all good. Not copper though, steel tube I had.

Plasterboard is a PITA to fix stuff to, but think yourslef lucky you don't have insulated stuff like Gyproc Thermaline. I've had a fricking nightmare mounting radiators, TV's etc to this stuff as it has next to bugger all load bearing capacity, so pretty much anything you need to hang on the wall needs to use the method Mr Babboon says of cutting back the board, filling the gap with wood, boarding the top, and then plastering or filling to bring it level. In fact, it's why I was late into work this morning

I really wouldn't trust plasterboard fixings only, not when it comes to expensive tellies. Unless you have REALLY good house insurance!

Rides
    My ex misses moved into a new build flat at there were no studs to screw into. The platerboard was attached to the buildings main RSJs by thin steel brackets so there was nothing to screw into that was solid.

I ended up making 20odd washers and fitting as many plasterboard worm type screws into the wall as the bracket would allow. I also stuck a thin sheet of hard board to the wall first with something like no more nails that was a little smaller than the TV. And painted it all to look tidy before screwing the telly bracket to it.
    I was only with her in that place for 8 months but the 42" telly held fine like that for all that time.
    Did the "man test" and hung myself off it first just to be sure lol.

If you have beams to screw into that is 100% your best bet. Just knock the wall till it sounds dead in one place and you can bet that's where the beam is. Takes a good ear though. Watch for hidden electric wires though.

Rides
    i've just removed the tv wall mount plasterboard fixings in my living room as i don't want a wall mounted tv. what a mess they make of the wall :P haha! got to get the plastererererer in to fix the wall now

Rides
    Real men use Polyfilla and a plasterer's float.

Rides
    Managed to do it in the end!

Used a stud finder. After drilling 6 holes in the wrong places, I finally got it mounted!

It is a 46", but it's LED, so it's quite light, looks good on the wall! Attatched the soundbar straight in to the plasterboard, not fallen down yet

Rides
    Now hide the cables!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Now hide the cables!
    Iv'e got some white self adhesive cable trunking.

Don't really want to put big holes in the wall, renting the apartment at the moment, not even meant to drill small holes