Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultrabooks - which would you get?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Im not getting into that one on here, but if they worked better wouldnt everyone have one??

Sam, where did you get yours from then mate?
    Got mine from PC World.

It's excellent, you won't be disappointed!

Rides
    I'm back

Samsung 9-series

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Battery life on the Samsung seems pretty poor and they arent cheap ......... and welcome back
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Battery life on the Samsung seems pretty poor and they arent cheap ......... and welcome back
    http://mashable.com/2012/08/09/samsu...323Bottom-View

Review here states 5.5 hours with 15% left, which seems pretty decent

Rides
    I picked up an Dell Studio XPS 13 for £200 It works good.

Rides
    Nope, but prices are dropping (I'll check tomorrow if I remember and have time) and it is a stunning piece of kit it really is. Just go and hold one and I doubt you'll want to let it out of your hands .

And cheers . Got just over 12 hours of holiday left before it's back to work again .

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouder_sx View Post
    http://mashable.com/2012/08/09/samsu...323Bottom-View

Review here states 5.5 hours with 15% left, which seems pretty decent
    I have no direct experiences with Ultrabooks as it's not something we've felt the need for yet, but if that's an accurate battery measurement that's shocking!

Out of my Macbook Pro it will go for around 8 hours off the mains, with a typical usage. I would expect Ultrabooks to be around that mark.

Rides
    I have held the Samsung and its lovely, but it doesnt fare well in battery comparisons - see http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-...1070674/review

The Asus just seems to be the best all rounder from what Ive read, and it looks alright too
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    I thought 5 hours was pretty good, shows how out of touch I am my HP (Cluck recommended best-buy ) is about 2.5 hours, if I'm lucky.

Rides
    I had a play around with the Asus whilst gorping at Suzy Perry as the Gadget Show were doing a feature in Broadgate Circle - it's the nuts T'was my favourite out of the lot of them, including the Dell - which the Dell representative wasn't too happy about me admitting on camera

Rides
    The Dell realistically seems to be the only one that runs it close, and its not *that* close.

Rides
    Did you go for the UX31, then?
    Review?
    I already know its the best (currently) but user feedback is always appreciated.

Rides
    Yep, got it on Monday evening so only had it a couple of days, initial impressions are very positive. Everyone thats seen it has wanted one (including our other computer man, he went straight to PC World and bought one), it is noticably quicker than my last laptop, a Dell Latitude D430, at just about anything and the 2 second restart and 8 second start are awesome. The USB3 standard looks to be pretty cool too, it charges my phone about 5 times quicker than a standard USB although Ive not got anything thats USB3 compatible to try data I bet thats feckin quick too.

Its actually not that much lighter than the Dell though in fairness it is the size up and while the B+O sounds are very clear they arent as loud as I had hoped. Battery life is very good, graphics and video playback excellent, its pretty much exactly what I expected i.e. damn good.

Rides
    It's awesome!

Did you go for the i7?

I have a USB3 External 500GB hard drive, transfer rates are so much better than USB2!

Rides
    Yeah, went i7 in the end, seemed rude not to

Ill probably just start off getting a bigger memory card and stick it in my phone when the lappy doesnt need it, guarantee Ill find something thats USB3 that I *need* in the next week though

Have you played with any of the bundled software, any of it worthwhile?

Rides
    Not played with anything on it, only really use it for web browsing, email's and steaming films to my TV!

I just wanted something that boots up quickly, is small and looks good and it fit the bill perfectly!

Rides

Rides
    I picked up a bog standard WD 1TB 2.5" USB3 HD the other day. £80 in PCW as I was passing. Sustained transfer rates of 89MB/s. Peak of 120MB/s. compared to the ~25MB/s I was getting through USB2, its saving me hours. Literally.