Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultrabooks - which would you get?

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides

Ultrabooks - which would you get?

Cluck is on holiday before anyone says anything

So my business partner's son from this term has to submit all of his homework online, so he needs a computer, so he can have my old one. Ive just doen a quick trip to PC World to see whats out there these days ......... question is, are the sexy ones worth the money??
    My last Dell was £1200 when it was new, but has lasted 5 years and is by no means outdated, I just want to replace it before it dies.

It will be used for general stuff, a lot of over internet communication with either our server or my desktop but no 3D rendering or anything like that. It is a business machine but I will use it for browsing and personal stuff at home (and Johnny Vaughn), Ive got external HD's and will probably move my business into a cloud in the next 18 months anyway so storage isnt massively important. It does travel a lot so needs to be light and fairly robust, HD outs are essential but I imagine a given these days?

The man at PC World seemed to like: http://www.portagadgets.com/uk/ASUS-...Ultrabook.html which is a 4GB, 128MB SSD with an Intel i5 chip, it also has a better screen resolution than anything else. Downside is its £770 and an Asus.

I quite liked this: http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1268...c-13-3-ul.html 6GB, 24GB SSD Cache and 500GB HDD with an i5 chip, but is a Samsung and costs £650.

Dell do an XPS13 ultrabook for £800 odd: http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-13-l321x/pd which is the same spec as the Asus, but a Dell - seeing as y last one has gone on for 5 years Im liking Dells.

There was also this Toshiba: http://www.johnlewis.com/231648857/P..._gs_200_20000& 6GB, 500MB HDD ith an i3 chip, which wasnt as light, as pretty or as expensive as the others.

Cant seem to find any definiteive "This is better than that" reviews, anyone care to put an oar in?
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    There was a Sony VAIO netbook I really liked the look off.. the screen rotated so you could turn it into a touchscreen tablet at will...

Or there's the dual touchscreen netbook which again is pretty cool

Rides
    The UX31 is an awesome ultrabook; possibly the best around. Its a long, long way from a netbook, though.
    Netbook is slow, cheap crap. Sub 13". AMD E450 is probably the best you can get. ~£350.

Rides
    Ive decided I want an ultrabook, if Im going to be using it in another 5 years it needs to be and look cool.

Still a bit dodge about buying an Asus over a Dell and a Samsung that have equivalent/better specs for similar money though ...........
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    I <3 the UX31. We have also deployed a few Toshiba Portege Z830-10Ns with an i5. Also very capable with good battery life but the UX31 has the better screen.
    Toshiba Satellite isn't an ultrabook, really. Consumer unit. The Satellites have horrid cases. Ew.

Oh, there's the HP Folio, too...for more choices.

Lenovo do the ultimate ultrabook, though. X1 Carbon.
    http://shop.lenovo.com/gbweb/gb/en/n...inkpad|600012&
    Last edited by pyro; 25-09-2012 at 15:36.

Rides
    Samsung 900X3C.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Ive decided I want an ultrabook, if Im going to be using it in another 5 years it needs to be and look cool.
    Macbook Air - it looks cool...

And then install Windows on it

Rides
    Dont want no Macbook, and the X1 Carbon doesnt have an HDMI out. Samsung is one to add to the list though, cheers

Definitely an ultrabook, have changed title to reflect

Rides
    Dont want no Macbook, and the X1 Carbon doesnt have an HDMI out. Samsung is one to add to the list though, cheers

Definitely an ultrabook, have changed title to reflect
    Any reason for not wanting a Macbook Air? They really are nicely built ultrabooks and they do run Windows really well....

But failing that what about the HP Envy? Or Lenovo IdeaPad?

Rides
    Main reason is that Ive never got on with Macs, from single mouse buttons to different menus, I guess with indows installed rather than iOS that wouldnt be an issue? Second much smaller reason is I dont want to be seen as your average fool who bought an iMac because it looks nice

Ive only suggested the three up there as Ive seen them in the metal, the Envy and Ideapad only seem to have HDD drives rather than SDD or hybrids. Basically I want at least 128GB HD, 4MB RAM, light weight and nice looks, HDMI out, and for it to be fast enough in 4/5 years time that it doesnt appear steampowered. Good vision and sound, massive HD's, webcams and all that crap Im not overly bothered about but they would be nice to have

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by frisbee View Post
    Samsung 900X3C.
    We have about 20 of the previous model which is an i5 with an SSD. they are rapid and look top quality. My only fault with them is the touchpad, its awkwardly placed and your hand brushes against it, also the it very sensitive to touch and can double click for no reason at all lol
    I would hope the new model sorted that.

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    Ive only suggested the three up there as Ive seen them in the metal, the Envy and Ideapad only seem to have HDD drives rather than SDD or hybrids. Basically I want at least 128GB HD, 4MB RAM, light weight and nice looks, HDMI out, and for it to be fast enough in 4/5 years time that it doesnt appear steampowered. Good vision and sound, massive HD's, webcams and all that crap Im not overly bothered about but they would be nice to have
    The new HP Envy Spectre U/book has a 128gb SSD dude . Was drooling over them on the Employee purchase portal the other day

Specs important bits
    Intel® Core™ i5-2467M 1.6 GHZ 3 MB L3 cache
    Chipset - Intel HM65 Express
    Memory 4 GB DDR3 (1 x 4 GB)
    Total slots: Supports up to 4 GB DDR3
    Storage 128 GB SSD, Up to 16 GB partition for system recovery
    Display 35,5 cm (14") HD+ LED BrightView (1600 x 900)
    Video Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Sound Internal Speakers and Audio playback with Beats Audio™; HP
    Wireless Audio enabled
    Ports 1 HDMI 1 headphone-out/microphone-in combo 1 USB 2.0 1 USB 3.0 1 RJ45 1 mini display

This link may work - http://h40059.www4.hp.com/uk/homelap...0ea_ds_ene.pdf May not

i was going to buy one then found out my desk PC was due for replacement and I could get a pretty meaty Probook, so that's me sorted for a new laptop

Rides
    Nice Ste, £850 is ballpark as well. Anyone else noticed that rather than narrowing down this chocie its getting broader all the time?

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    Nice Ste, £850 is ballpark as well. Anyone else noticed that rather than narrowing down this chocie its getting broader all the time?
    Spectre XT then - 600-700 notes but a bit lower specs...still got the SSD

Quote Originally Posted by HP Babble
    HP SpectreXT, the Ultrabook™ designed for those who want style without sacrificing substance. It’s sleek. It’s thin.

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64
    Intel® Core™ i5-3317U processor
    4GB memory
    128 GB solid-state drive
    33,8 cm (13,3") HD LED-backlit BrightView Display
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Finished in natural silver, magnesium base with soft-touch paint, aluminum cover
    1 year, pick-up and return, parts and labour
    Featuring Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HD Webcam & Microphone
    Battery life of up to 7 hours

Rides
    I have the i7 version of the Asus Zenbook UX31E

I like it, it's very light, quick, battery lasts ages and it seems quite robust.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SX Sam View Post
    I have the i7 version of the Asus Zenbook UX31E

I like it, it's very light, quick, battery lasts ages and it seems quite robust.
    After some serious research this morning, this seems to be the way forward. They are £999 unless you get a pink one but PC World are offering £150 cashback on traded in laptops, with the VAT back thats not too bad.

Soooooo ......... anyone got a working laptop they dont want anymore?

Rides
    After some serious research this morning, this seems to be the way forward. They are £999 unless you get a pink one but PC World are offering £150 cashback on traded in laptops, with the VAT back thats not too bad.

Soooooo ......... anyone got a working laptop they dont want anymore?
    That's what I paid for mine and they threw in a free Amazon kindle.

Really happy with it, and it looks good as well

Rides
    Second much smaller reason is I dont want to be seen as your average fool who bought an iMac because it looks nice
    Not because they work better than any windows based machine?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by AdDaMan View Post
    Not because they work better than any windows based machine?
    Im not getting into that one on here, but if they worked better wouldnt everyone have one??

Sam, where did you get yours from then mate?

Rides
    Im not getting into that one on here, but if they worked better wouldnt everyone have one??

Sam, where did you get yours from then mate?
    I still think you should get a MacBook Air.... then install Android onto it

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/22665...ok-or-desktop/