Thread: Fueling, boost, mapping questions - thanks :)

Rides

Question Fueling, boost, mapping questions - thanks :)

Hey, going to ask a lot of questions in this thread. I have done searches on lots of this and i am really not sure what information i should trust. I am more than happy to go reading so if you wanna provide me with some good links for information please do. Id much prefer the knowledge than be spoon fed the answers.

Information on the car currently:

S14a, stock sr20det, standard t28, Standard Boost, Standard wing mount intercooler, No Recirc (pigeon), air filter upgraded, standard plugs, standard fuel pump and injectors. Standard ECU (no remap). Auto to manual conversion. Decat and exhaust but not sure this matters.

Parts to go on (will have it all by the weekend):
    Manual boost controller
    Walbro 255
    Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
    Front Mount Intercooler

Firstly, my queries are about the FPR. What should i be setting this to? I read something about it should be 1:1 but it doesn't really explain anything or how you know what it should be. I also understand that if you up the boost this could change so my next query is, what boost can i run safely and would i then make any adjustments to the FPR and if so why? im presuming something to do with more boost needing a faster / bigger / more constant feed of fuel to mix with the more air being received but i would much rather understand than presume. Then im also considering that a lot of the information can vary depending on the mods so if i have the FMIC on. Am i able to run higher boost? Then obviously accompanying the other parts maybe i can. It all seems relative and i just wanna make sure i do it right and preferably understand every change i make and why i make it.

Then im also considering the mapping. Should i be getting a map sorted before I run the above anywhere? If im honest with shelling out for the part list above its tempoarily skinted me out. So i probably won't be able to get it chipped and mapped until early october. I am hoping to hit santapod on the 19th and am wondering if its a ok to run the above on a standard map.

As i say sorry for the hell of a lot of questions approach but i think its all related and would much rather ask for the information and understand as much as possible before i start dicking about with it.

Thanks to everyone i really appreciate the responses .

Regards,
    Piercy
    Last edited by Piercy; 04-09-2012 at 11:04. Reason: typo

Rides
    Don't bother with the fpr, its not necessary, put the money towards a chip/remap.

Anyway if you do decide to fit one then you should set the base fuel pressure to be the same as standard (IIRC its 3bar). What the 1:1 means is that fuel pressure will rise directly in relation to boost. So if you run at 1bar boost the fuel pressure will be 4bar (3bar base + 1bar boost).

You can run around 1bar on standard injectors/ecu with the usual bolt on parts.

Rides
    3 bar with vacuum and around 3.4 without vacuum

Rides
    Ermmm iirc I think you can run about 14psi of boost before the fuel cut will kick in?

If you get a chip & remap you'll remove the fuel cut and the mapper can also optimise your fueling and air flow for slightly more power

I've been running around with a fmic, 255 pump, air filter, 3" exhaust, HKS bov etc. for a while without mapping and I'll admit it is slightly juicier on fuel than it should be.

Rides
    ya something like 14psi, but might as well keep it low, until you get it mapped.

I have got the nistune daughterboard setup , and while every car is different, the nistune and map, was the great bang for buck i got, as I got more useable power, nice good safe a/f mix, and the benefits of cheap reliable tuning.
    As a lot of tuners are now doing nistune etc, means there is great knowledge out there .
    Also once i got mapped on nistune i got great mpg, vs when i just bolted on upgrades and keep boost low to avoid fuel cut.

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by warranty_void View Post
    ya something like 14psi, but might as well keep it low, until you get it mapped.

I have got the nistune daughterboard setup , and while every car is different, the nistune and map, was the great bang for buck i got, as I got more useable power, nice good safe a/f mix, and the benefits of cheap reliable tuning.
    As a lot of tuners are now doing nistune etc, means there is great knowledge out there .
    Also once i got mapped on nistune i got great mpg, vs when i just bolted on upgrades and keep boost low to avoid fuel cut.
    Increased fuel economy and more useable power can be obtained using off the shelf chips from Horsham Developments.