Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to get bushes.

Rides

Where to get bushes.

Basically I'm trying to replace all the bushes on my s13. It's currently a mixture of apex bushed arms. And stock arms with poly bushes.

Long story short is that I'm few up with paying a fortune for suspension arms that rust and go scabby in no time at all. So between me and a mate we have knocked up a set of adjustable traction arms from high quality steel and high tensile bolts.
    My friend builds the chassis on QT wildcats (used to be the bola wildcat) and has much better welding equipment than me so I let him do the fabrication. I just did the machining this time.

Before painting.

Anyway I don't want to just use a generic poly bush if possible so want to use a good quality OEM style bush as from being in the rallying game for a long time I know that they are a much better option than poly bushes.

Does anyone know where to get some from. Or is it just a Nissan part.

Rides
    I was tempted in buying these to replace my poly's but had other stuff I wanted to 'fix' first.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-S14...#ht_500wt_1054

Great price I think, if you do buy them let us know if you think they are decent quality.

Rides
    That's an option thanks.

My main aim is to keep the car feeling tight but reduce the noise. Im going to try and use the car daily for a while and after owning an m3 I see no reason why my s13 shouldn't handle well and be comfortable.

Rides
    How much money do you want to spend?

http://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/

I had a very, very brief conversation with these guys about making me some bushes for some arms I'm dreaming up for my RX7. Wasn't going to be cheap though. As in, really very not cheap. I will get in touch again if I actually design them and work out what I'm doing.

They will make exactly what you're after though, to your specification.

Rides
    replacement bushes seem to exist more for older cars, maybe try and find out if a ford bush is the same size.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    replacement bushes seem to exist more for older cars, maybe try and find out if a ford bush is the same size.
    You won't necessarily know the stiffness or anything of it though. It could be mega squidgy (or maybe even too stiff) compared to what was in there to begin with which will make a huge difference...

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    How much money do you want to spend?

http://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/

I had a very, very brief conversation with these guys about making me some bushes for some arms I'm dreaming up for my RX7. Wasn't going to be cheap though. As in, really very not cheap. I will get in touch again if I actually design them and work out what I'm doing.

They will make exactly what you're after though, to your specification.
    I think I'm gonna buy these mounts in a few months, if I keep the car.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by M.D. View Post
    for suspension arms that rust and go scabby in no time at all.
    Which ones are u reffering to? Please dont say apex as i just bought some!

Rides
    I bought these:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...prod=7%2E18106

Took 2 weeks to arrive and couldn't have been happier.

There aren't any proper subframe bushes in that kit though just inserts, I didn't bother with them and just got some Powerflex bushes instead.

*Edit*

Get the black kit apparently its got some kind of lubricate in it. I've heard the red kits squeak quite badly after a while.
    Last edited by Seraphon; 04-09-2012 at 11:35.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphon View Post
    I bought these:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...prod=7%2E18106

Took 2 weeks to arrive and couldn't have been happier.

There aren't any proper subframe bushes in that kit though just inserts, I didn't bother with them and just got some Powerflex bushes instead.

*Edit*

Get the black kit apparently its got some kind of lubricate in it. I've heard the red kits squeak quite badly after a while.
    I currently have these in the car and can vouch for there quality. But I'm looking for a more stock bush rather than a poly one this time. If I have to I'll just use the ones I have in the new arms.

Do Nissan themselves still sell the bushes?

Quote Originally Posted by craiglancs View Post
    Which ones are u reffering to? Please dont say apex as i just bought some!
    Yeah I have the bushed arms and they look horrid now. Paint is flaking off and the nuts are rusty. and have seized solid even though I covered them in copper grease last year. I will get them apart with some heat I recon.

Going to get the ones I made zink played before I paint them to help with te corrosion issue.

Rides
    You need the whole lot plated.

A zinc plated nut (or bolt) by itself won't last very long if in electrical contact with exposed steel. The zinc is sacrificial, it's corroded in preference to the iron. Once it's gone the steel goes as fast as ever.

Rides
    Yeah the whole lot will be. We have plym plating on the books at work so get good rates. I'm going to shot blast all the apex arms and have them done too and then re paint the lot when it's all adjusted properly.

Rides
    How long were they one before nuts seizing etc and the rust?

Rides
    It wasn't that long really. Bear in mind I live down here in Plymouth which is very close to the sea. Definitely doesn't help. Took over a year to seize up though.

Rides
    Hmm not right long tho a year, so guess that means i whack em on, get it alligned to what i want, then be prepared that i might be stuck with that setting?

Or sell em and buy an energy bush kit and clean up the original arms i have spare....

Rides
    Or sell em and buy an energy bush kit and clean up the original arms i have spare....
    If you're going to set the ride height once and never do it again and know what alignment you want to run (ish), you could get the standard arms modified so you have good geometry and stick some bushes in them.

Rides
    I fitted the Apex bushed arms 5-6 years ago and they'll still very good. There are a few rust spots on the chrome adjustment nuts where they were damaged by the monkey that did the alignment but that comes off with metal polish.
    The blue powdercoating is like new which is more than can be said for the Whiteline ARBs I fitted. I cleaned them, degreased them and lacquered them before fitting and they've still gone rusty as hell from the inside out by the look of it.

Rides
    White line stuff is terrible IMO.
    Like I say mine have gone bad possible due to the amount of wet weather driving mine gets down here by the sea. But either way. Paying over £100 for a set of arms that I can make just as well myself seemed silly when I can now make them how I wanted. I want to truly
    Fit and forget mine as the car is a daily.

Rides
    Hmm not right long tho a year, so guess that means i whack em on, get it alligned to what i want, then be prepared that i might be stuck with that setting?

they're not that bad.

as jonny says and my experience is the same, the only point I've had problem with is on the adjuster nuts. the rest are fine.

I've just dynaxed all the exposed stuff now and copper grease the threads.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Ah they'll be right then, i'll stick with it!

Zeppelin, i'll probably just allign and forget as i've never played with different geo settings, but then again i've never had the option before! I dont want the car stupid low, its low enough how it is now, as for geo, whats the best set up for a daily road car with 'slight' tendency to drift?