Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Street Triple is going - 2012 ZZR1400 is on order

Rides
    either way is good with me bren and yeah these bikes eat motorways for a giggle and are disgustingly fast whilst doing it

Rides
    and not a great many folks live on tracks or even go very often at all so bikes like these make a damn sight more sense than the latest greatest 1000cc

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    I wasn't knocking your choice, Bren. Hyperbikes make good all-day tourers and are exciting to ride fast occasionally if more than a little licence threatening No more so than a superbike I guess.

I wouldn't want to track one though unless it was at Santa Pod.

A couple of guys turned up on 'busas at Lydden Hill one time. Fcuk me, that was funny. They both ended up in the gravel trap at Paddock Bend in the first session pebble-dashing their fairings and soiling their underwear. They just couldn't get them turned.
    The new ZZR is more sporty than the ZZRs of old or the Hayabusas. They are specifically supposed to handle reasonably well, its one reason why I went for one.

Plus remember than my most favorite road car Ive ever owned (including V8 S14, Cossy, S2 ERST, 500bhp S13, 550bhp Skyline etc etc) is a Jag XJR. I did more track days in that car than any other car Ive owed bar my Skyline. Im well versed with hustling big old bus's round a race track

"The ZZR feels as comfortable under heavy braking as my ZX-10R. With stiffer suspension compared to the previous model, the bike feels settled and controlled from the moment you apply any braking force, where the older bike would initially squat. The longer wheelbase also helps weight distribution and instead of feeling like the weight's gone up and over the front wheel, you feel like it's firmly behind it, meaning that your forearm may well give up braking way before the bike wants to.

Being a physically large bike, you do feel like you're leaping a fence when shifting from one side to another through a chicane, but the additional weight means that the bike doesn't get unsettled when you're moving around. Once it's on its way into a corner, it's planted. The front end is really solid. On a bike like this it's usually the moment you tip in that it becomes clear that you're not going to get anywhere near the apex but the stiffer forks mean you can think an ambitious line and end up on that line. Even though it's large, it changes direction without protest and it feels really sure-footed when carrying the brakes in right up to the apex. I'm not sure you could say that about the original ZZR1400.

The trouble with having a big bike that handles well and makes a lot of power - from the moment you tap the throttle - is that you can get carried away. On track, the ZZR's ace is really its traction control. The chassis is good; there's plenty of feel, it holds a line, you know where's you're at. However describing the motor as 'strong' is like describing a shark as 'a big fish'. Driving out of a hairpin in second would - without traction control - require 1 part clenched teeth, 2 parts timing and 3 parts throttle control. When the traction control's this smooth, you can just concentrate on getting the bike pointing in the right direction and winding the motor up.

You can feel the traction control waving its magic-wand when you really take the piss, but until then, it just encourages you to trust in the bike's natural traction and get the most out of the motor.

It's well worth mentioning Bridgestone's new S20 tyres that are supplied with the bike. They're another part of the new ZZR that slants it much more towards sports than touring. They've got great feel and massive outright grip. Pegs go down with ease and the fairing will go down too if you're feeling ambitious. I'm not sure how they'd cope in terms of outright mileage, but to put a bike as capable as this on a touring tyre would be like getting Heston Blumenthal over to cook a three-course meal for your dog.

Most owners will never go near a circuit but if you did, you'd have a proper laugh hunting down sportsbikes on the ZZR.

Talking of superbikes, the riding position of the ZZR is probably what most superbike riders secretly lust after. It's much more sports than touring but it doesn't pitch you onto your wrists. There's plenty of room between the seat and the bars, meaning you don't feel like your elbows are going to clash with your knees. Think about riding a roomy mid-90s sportsbike and you'd not be far off."

Quote Originally Posted by glen200sx View Post
    either way is good with me bren and yeah these bikes eat motorways for a giggle and are disgustingly fast whilst doing it
    Ill come down to see you when it arrives

Quote Originally Posted by glen200sx View Post
    and not a great many folks live on tracks or even go very often at all so bikes like these make a damn sight more sense than the latest greatest 1000cc
    Yep, I would never use the capabilities of a superbike on the road. I didnt use the handling and braking capabilities of the Street, let alone an S100RR or Panigale The Street was great on track but I only did three track days in the entire time I owned it.

Ultimately Id like to sort a dedicated track bike with aftermarket (cheap) fairing, no lights, no indicators, slicks etc but thats a little way off. In the meantime the ZZR fits my needs better than the Street or a superbike.

At least thats the plan!
    Last edited by bren; 31-07-2012 at 14:56.

Rides
    Looking forward to seeing what you think of it Bren
    SXOC Member #62SXOCCar Gone & ZX-12RPS4 - AFKAN
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...

Rides
    Sounds like a good plan

Rides
    Emailed this guy to see what he'd take, £1900 was the answer.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=290738239262

I cant help feeling that by the time Ive refreshed the 12k mile old suspension, sorted the bits it needs (chain, sprockets, suspension bearings and other odds and sods) then I wont be a million miles off what I'm getting for my Street in px. The fairly outrageous option would be to keep and strip my Street down to a track bike. Its 100% perfect, needs absolutely nothing and I know its spot on. I never wanted for more power on track and it handles and stops better than I can ride.

I'm finding it beyond even my powers of self delusion to justify doing so at the though

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    Emailed this guy to see what he'd take, £1900 was the answer.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=290738239262

I cant help feeling that by the time Ive refreshed the 12k mile old suspension, sorted the bits it needs (chain, sprockets, suspension bearings and other odds and sods) then I wont be a million miles off what I'm getting for my Street in px. The fairly outrageous option would be to keep and strip my Street down to a track bike. Its 100% perfect, needs absolutely nothing and I know its spot on. I never wanted for more power on track and it handles and stops better than I can ride.

I'm finding it beyond even my powers of self delusion to justify doing so at the though
    What you need to do is find a CBR600F3 for £600 like i just have

Rides
    How does it feel compared to the Street? Doesn't it feel generally baggy in comparison? I can see me being disappointed with the handling of an older bike after being spoilt with a new STR Although I know which Id rather dump into the kitty litter!

Rides
    How does it feel compared to the Street? Doesn't it feel generally baggy in comparison? I can see me being disappointed with the handling of an older bike after being spoilt with a new STR Although I know which Id rather dump into the kitty litter!
    I only took it for a quick test ride as I'm doing a full nuts & bolts restoration on it, but it feels great. The street has always been a soft bike compared to modern super sports anyway so there wasn't a world of difference between the two. Im a bit of an old bike fan anyway. I still surprised how lairy the bike is considering its supposed to be a dull all rounder.

Didnt Arry test ride a STR whilst he still owned his F4i? he might be able to give a more direct comparison.
    Last edited by Prior; 31-07-2012 at 19:38.

Rides
    Very nice Bren, Cant help feeling you will get a bit bored in the end though? looks a little lardy for you. The fun for me though is definitely the corners, hope it handles well

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Prior View Post
    I only took it for a quick test ride as I'm doing a full nuts & bolts restoration on it, but it feels great. The street has always been a soft bike compared to modern super sports anyway so there wasn't a world of difference between the two. Im a bit of an old bike fan anyway. I still surprised how lairy the bike is considering its supposed to be a dull all rounder.

Didnt Arry test ride a STR whilst he still owned his F4i? he might be able to give a more direct comparison.
    Mine is the R version so supposedly a chunk stiffer than the normal Street. A track bike is a flight of fancy at the moment, the next bike will be an enduro so Ive a toy to play with through winter. Just got to sell the Husaberg first.

Quote Originally Posted by TrIcK^ View Post
    Very nice Bren, Cant help feeling you will get a bit bored in the end though? looks a little lardy for you. The fun for me though is definitely the corners, hope it handles well
    Ive still got a Honda CRF450R and Husaberg 650, both of which are supermotos so Ive still got a couple of toys to play with round the twisties. At least until the Husaberg sells. The Kawasaki should be far better suited to distance than the Street so now the idea is to get some touring done, cover some real mileage If I dont like it then Ill move it on and get something else, no real harm done bar the hit on depreciation.

Rides

Is it going to be a track bike ?

...and Arry's CBR6 was an F3

Rides
    Sounds like a Honda civic vtec! Only in this, the sound comes with performance... that seriously shifts!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Is it going to be a track bike ?

...and Arry's CBR6 was an F3
    I thoughts Arrys was newer than a 98, even more reason for him to be an ideal reviewer!. I'll be using it as a second bike for when I want to ride something a bit more capable than the thrux, plus I have a soft spot for late 80s, early 90s super-sports.

Rides
    Bren, Practical Performance Bikes has a feature on the ZZR1400 this month. It a 4-pager comparing it to the K1300S.

Rides
    Excellent, Ill go and grab it. I did also look at the K1300S but theyre a very expensive machine.

Rides
    Excellent, Ill go and grab it. I did also look at the K1300S but theyre a very expensive machine.
    Sorry, Its in RIDE Sept 2012 not PPB. Doh !

Rides
    I thoughts Arrys was newer than a 98, even more reason for him to be an ideal reviewer!. I'll be using it as a second bike for when I want to ride something a bit more capable than the thrux, plus I have a soft spot for late 80s, early 90s super-sports.
    Mine was an early 98, last of the line of that ilk. It was also a bit old and had miles on.

I test rode a Speed Triple rather than the Street, also.

However, when getting back onto the CBR I wasn't actually that disappointed after being on the speed for 100 miles ish. It didn't turn as sharp, it wasn't as punchy low down, but it still held its own well enough.

Rides
    Was it the latest Speed with the new style headlights? The Street is still reportedly significantly better than the new improved Speed and considerably better than the previous generation. In terms of handling that is.

Rides
    Was it the latest Speed with the new style headlights? The Street is still reportedly significantly better than the new improved Speed and considerably better than the previous generation. In terms of handling that is.
    Nah it was the last of the line of the outgoing, ie what they had left on the showroom floor before the new one came in.

I've heard that the Street is slightly more chuck-able but only the top riders / reviewers seem to hold that in too much regard. The Street gets more plaudits though, in the press, certainly. I can't comment as I've not ridden a Street to compare to the Speed.