Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitted catch tank today, now car wont idle and lots of smoke!! Please help??!

Rides

Fitted catch tank today, now car wont idle and lots of smoke!! Please help??!

So decided to make the most of a nice day today and thought id fit catch tank and re-route the breathers. Whilst i was there i thought id be daring and check / replace the 'block to head' breather pipe under the inlet manifold.
    I removed the plenum and replaced the horible metal 90 degree pipe for a nice new hose, checking i hadnt kinked it or squashed it. Once that was back together (horrible job by the way) i went about fitting my catch tank, new breather pipes and blocking off the back of the plenum and the intake trunk.

As soon as i started it to check i had done it right, i found out i hadnt done it right at all. Im now getting very very lumpy idle and stalling, and lots of blue smoke coming from both the exhaust and the catch tank filter. Pick of the catch tank/breather setup below so hopefully someone can pick out what ive done wrong
    [IMG][/IMG]

What have i done wrong?? Any ideas guys, this is my daily driver and cant have it off the road

Rides
    from the pic you havent blocked of the pcv valve in the back of the inlet plenum..??

Rides
    OP says blocked the pcv but as nick posted looks bare in the pic?,When you pulled the inlet plenum off did you renew the gasket? as I'm thinking big air leak from that if didn't renew it?, Is the block breather hose still going to the rear union on the inlet cam rocker I'm guessing, I think the breather side of it is ok,but somewhere you have made a air leak,Inlet gasket,pcv,or fuel reg hose got disturbed/hose perished?

Rides
    Sorry, I unblocked the back of the plenum with the valve after trying to to put it back to stock to see if that cured it. It was blocked off first.
    Last edited by 915nismo; 28-07-2012 at 19:15.

Rides
    Perhaps you disturbed something removing the intake?

Rides
    That's what Im thinking, think I'm going to take it all back off again tomorrow. Would the catch tank cause this on its own? Is it Plummed in right?

Rides
    atmospheric vented catch cause if your turbo is old throw oil by seals because you've removed the vacuum from crankcase

Rides
    Yea turbo is old and is next on the list for replacement, if I get this sorted first lol

Rides
    thats how iv'e got my breather pipework although i have completely removed the PCV setup and i have no probs at all. i just get a small amount of oil vapour/smoke from my can!
    You could test the inlet gaskets by spraying easy start around them.
    Have you definitely got all your ic pipes fitted and tight? including the ones that are routed around the plenum?

Rides
    well i stripped it down again today and found this....

and also noticed that some of the loom connectors didnt have that little metal retainer on them so could be possible loose injector connector to add.

So does anyone know where the fastest place i can get one of these plenum gaskets from?????

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    thats how iv'e got my breather pipework although i have completely removed the PCV setup and i have no probs at all. i just get a small amount of oil vapour/smoke from my can!
    You could test the inlet gaskets by spraying easy start around them.
    Have you definitely got all your ic pipes fitted and tight? including the ones that are routed around the plenum?

yea i will def check those pipes as i put it back together, i know a worn turbo seal causes smoke from exhaust but does yours smoke badly from the catch tank filter??

Rides
    ive always used a thin bead of sealent instead of gaskets.

Rides
    no doesn't really smoke badly you could always try fitting a one way valve in the breather pipe to the catch can and if the smoke reduces or goes completely you will know if its the turbo!

Rides
    maybe its just me, but it looks like theres a leak fro the elephant trunk ?? probably just me tho

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by user23456 View Post
    maybe its just me, but it looks like theres a leak fro the elephant trunk ?? probably just me tho
    Now you have mentioned it it does look that way! there are 2 holes in there that need blocking if you havent got HSS aswell

Rides
    If you had a one way valve to stop it smoking at idle, it's going to smoke. It needs that vacuum to stop oil going though the seals.

Even if it didn't have a one way valve there is a restriction in the tube from AFM trunk to the inlet cam, that helps reduce crankcase pressure at idle.

Take your pick. Cornflakes or Shredded Wheat boxes (it seems Weetabix is wrong card). Boxes aren't long enough and you don't want a bit that has been creased/folded. Have to make in 2 bits, a front and back 1/2.

Rides
    Now you have mentioned it it does look that way! there are 2 holes in there that need blocking if you havent got HSS aswell
    Ive blocked the hole in the elephants trunk that used to go to the cam cover, and I've blocked the small one just on top of that one. Are there any more??

I don't have any one way valves in there. Should I have one?? Do I need to put the breathers back to stock to eliminate the smoking??

Very confused now....
    Last edited by 915nismo; 29-07-2012 at 18:11. Reason: .

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 915nismo View Post
    Ive blocked the hole in the elephants trunk that used to go to the cam cover, and I've blocked the small one just on top of that one. Are there any more??

I don't have any one way valves in there. Should I have one?? Do I need to put the breathers back to stock to eliminate the smoking??

Very confused now....
    what i was saying is to fit a one way valve temporarily to the breather going to the catch can just to see if it reduces or even stops the smoke then that should let you determine whether or not its your turbo seals as a fair few people have used the owv to mask turbo seal problem!

search OWV and you'll see lots of threads on the topic.

However it is only a temp measure and imo i'd stick to your new setup thats how mine is with no probs just make sure the pcv is properly blocked!

Rides
    what i was saying is to fit a one way valve temporarily to the breather going to the catch can just to see if it reduces or even stops the smoke then that should let you determine whether or not its your turbo seals as a fair few people have used the owv to mask turbo seal problem!

search OWV and you'll see lots of threads on the topic.

However it is only a temp measure and imo i'd stick to your new setup thats how mine is with no probs just make sure the pcv is properly blocked!
    One way valve is dependent on the PCV valve being connected.

PVC sucks, one way valve prevents it sucking from inlet trunk so has to suck from engine - blow by, valve stems and any leaky oil seals like turbo.
    At high load on boost the PVC is shut and the one way valve opens to let blow-by out of engine into the inlet trunk.

If it then smokes (like a destroyer in WWII sea movie "make smoke") on boost the turbo is really bad and one way valve is too restrictive - fit a bigger one or more in parallel.

Rides
    ok fair enough im not going to argue because you are a lot more knowledgable than me! But if the PCV is disconnected it isn't sucking from the inlet anyway!

Sorry for any confusion i may of caused the op!