Thread: s13 CA18DET Batteries

Rides

s13 CA18DET Batteries

Right, basically ive had a nightmare today just doing the most simplist of jobs for my mum i was supposed to go to the tip and drop of loads of crap blah blah blah and the building has a huge ramp to enter and i stalled *crying face* lol started her back up was fine but then had to park up and she wouldnt start back up when i had to leave, got a bump start from the guys there lol, started up no problem in second, went to get petrol and wouldnt start again, its safe to say i need a new battery and im wondering what is the general idea of new batteries goods ones that last but thinking ahead in the future for intercooler piping etc, as i know lots of people get smaller batteries.

Thanks for any help at all

Mike

Rides
    ps i did do some research and lots of people seemed to be saying use the micra battery?? YAY or NAYYYY

Rides
    I have a halfords battery on mine, been absolutly fine. Its this one.

The micra battery is the one you want for an FMIC. I think its this one. You'll need to find a way to secure it while you don't have an intercooler.

Rides
    Halfords don't stock a battery that fits. Not unless you want something under size, stuck on a lump of wood to pack it up to the clamp or to cross and stretch the cables. You want a 005R (RIGHT HAND). Halfords only have 005L, L for LEFT HAND the terminals are the wrong way round.

005R (also called 014)
    Voltage: 12 Volts
    Capacity: 60 Ah
    CCA: 525 A
    Length: 230 mm
    Width: 170 mm
    Height: 225 mm

Small undersized batteries kill starter motors as you have to crank longer. They don't die on the little battery, just when given full amps from a proper battery after the little battery has shown it's incapable. Yeah it will be just fine for 5 to 6 summer drift days a year for 3 or 4 years. Show it 1 week of a proper UK winter and it will give up like the weedy runt it is.

Micra 053
    AH / Amps per Hour: 45
    CCA / Cold Cranking Amps: 330
    Height (mm): 227
    Length (mm): 238
    Width (mm): 129

3/4 of the required Amp Hours, 63% of the required CCA and the terminals are the wrong way round. Only a complete idiot would go for that.

Rides
    Pretty sure I use a 45 amp hour battery in my daily, its done a winter fine so far.

Banned
    Rides
    I am using a renault 5 diesel battery. The AH rating is the the battery capacity, what you need to check is the max discharge rate (I max, or CCA as noted above) . But as it is a 1.8L with low comp (lower than an NA engine), most small batteries will do.

Thing is, if it did not start right after getting some petrol, you may want to check your alternator first. My battery is dead, it cannot hold its charge for more than a couple of days ... but thats it. It does not lose its charge in a couple of minutes.

When you say "it does not start", does your starter motor work ? If no, check it too ...

Rides
    I used a Micra battery in my near 400bhp monster and it did the job just fine, you will need to knock up a battery tray for it though or just relocate a larger battery to the boot etc

Rides
    I went for a proper spec Varta battery, correct spec as skyshack has said above, £60 ish, and it'll be moved to the boot when i go fmic

Rides
    wow thanks for all the information guys, i did see some talk about the cca it having to be a minimum of 330, and reading through your information skyshack said about cranking longer, i thought my engine was lazy and when i let my friend take her out for a drive when he started her he said his s13 was a lazy starter like mine too, it will crank about 3 or 4 times every time to start, is that a shite battery or is my starter motor going, or are s13's just 'lazy'

thanks again guys

Rides
    With a proper battery even one with poor compression (9bar) will go click vroom from stone cold.

Rides
    If you stick it in the back in one of these boxes,you can fit a stock size battery or bit bigger,And loads of room for intercooler pipes and other stuff,The box was £9 from a boat shop in sidcup,kent,he sells on ebay,got the biggest cable from car stereo shop £20
    Filled space with jaz catch tank, hks bov and other crap

Rides
    @ Andy.

You need some ducting between the slam panel and the rad. AKA cooler panel - but one that actually works, which you can't buy on E-bay. All the incoming air will just piss off round the sides and not go though the rad. The fan is only really effective in town and when stationary. But with a rad that size, that close to the fan, you would have to sustain A-bhan speeds to find the incoming air flow is needed much more than the fan.

Rides
    I was thinking of making up something years back if it needed it,but it ran 4 years 30k miles this set up on stock rad,rover eleccy fan on the back,and no engine fan,revotec on 80 iirc and temp reading from vdo gauge as well never overheated once, this set up with alloy rad just makes it run about same temps tbh,It gets used hard in various ways ,Its going to be changed again very soon and will do some alli ducting for future track days as that will certainly raise temps

Rides
    thanks again guys ive sorted my battery out i called my local battery place and it just so happened DAL worked there so he sorted me out and checked over my car all is good