Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon 350D DSLR

Rides
    Interested what you find with regards to magazines etc. We took out a subscription to Practical Photography but it's very much aimed at stills, setting up the correct environment etc (probably ideal for you to be fair)

Just as a FYI, last year at JDM Allstars Wembley, me and the Mrs took two cameras (1 from work and ours) and took 2800 photos between us in a day. Point and click will soon rack the numbers up.

Don't rely on the screen for telling if you got a good shot, wait until you see it on a computer. A few times I have thought that was pants, viewed it on the laptop and thought actually it came out really well.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spice_weazle View Post
    I was in the same boat at the biggining of the year when I was looking at DSLR's. I was looking on Ebay at 2nd hand canons, mainly the 350D due to budget but decided on a new 1100D instead. I wanted canon because I have an old EOS 30 so had a few lenses and other equipment. The reason I went for the 1100D was just because it was newer technology. I wont be upgrading anytime in the near future and the 1100D does what I want and more.
    Thanks mate, and all. Gone for the 350d I learn some basics, prove myself how much it is used, etc etc. I don't have any lenses, kit or anything. Or other. Am a big fan of Panasonic as own a tz. But canon always been up there for me. I have avoided one till now due to price. And the fear of not using it enough.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mandelbug View Post
    Interested what you find with regards to magazines etc. We took out a subscription to Practical Photography but it's very much aimed at stills, setting up the correct environment etc (probably ideal for you to be fair)

Just as a FYI, last year at JDM Allstars Wembley, me and the Mrs took two cameras (1 from work and ours) and took 2800 photos between us in a day. Point and click will soon rack the numbers up.

Don't rely on the screen for telling if you got a good shot, wait until you see it on a computer. A few times I have thought that was pants, viewed it on the laptop and thought actually it came out really well.
    Will get a few 8gb cards in which case. It might be that I upgrade before opting to take it to a show.

The magazine subscription might be an idea or a few issues.. stills mostly for me to begin with.

Rides
    Its sensible to have a few cards anyway, if I rotate a picture on my computer and put the card back in the camera without deleting the pic, the camera won't read the card.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by frisbee View Post
    Its sensible to have a few cards anyway, if I rotate a picture on my computer and put the card back in the camera without deleting the pic, the camera won't read the card.
    I never delete on computer but always on camera. Similar issue when I delete pics on computer.

Rides
    Also just bought a 350d. looking forward to playing with it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgr View Post
    Also just bought a 350d. looking forward to playing with it
    How you finding it buddy. Any tips?

Rides
    The 350D is a great camera, i was unsure about taking the DSLR plunge, but bought a good value 350D kits from one of the guys here, and loved it, i have just sold on the body and replaced it with a 550D body so i can still use all the lenses, despite everything that i wanted like the live view, larger screen, more pixels etc, i am still inclined to think i could take better looking pics with 350D.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky-Ricky View Post
    The 350D is a great camera, i was unsure about taking the DSLR plunge, but bought a good value 350D kits from one of the guys here, and loved it, i have just sold on the body and replaced it with a 550D body so i can still use all the lenses, despite everything that i wanted like the live view, larger screen, more pixels etc, i am still inclined to think i could take better looking pics with 350D.
    Thanks Trick, comforting to know I can acheive some good results with the camera to begin with, will start looking into lenses, I am taking pictures of my aquarium and close ups of tiny shrimp so a macro lens with decent zoom, is what I am looking for.

Also rememeber seeing a saturated colour pic of sx's on here moons ago, assume that is just a setting? looks like pics overlapping each other, but might just be a setting.

Gonna pic up a photography mag which might give me basics.

Juststarted reading:

http://www.dpchallenge.com/tutorial.php?TUTORIAL_ID=45

Rides
    I too wanted to take good pics of my aquarium, but failed with my previous crossover type camera, but managed these with the 350D which i think are not too bad.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomagic View Post
    How you finding it buddy. Any tips?
    havent recieved it yet, ordered online so waiting for it to be delivered. bought a 2nd hand kit, few lenses spare battery etc. cant wait to get some pics of the 200

Edit: Ricky, really like that first pic.

Rides
    Awesome shots there Trick, good news that I can use for similar, mind my tank include Nano's and taking close ups of minute baby shrimp, etc etc.

Rides
    Before anyone says a word, couldnt wash the car as it was getting dark.

just messing around at the moment learning how to use gimp, as im too tight for photoshop. Done in around 3 mins, hence the sketchy 'missed' gradient on the right hand side. Just wanted to see how it would turn out, im happy for a first attempt.

EDIT:

now with clean car too any advice anyone?
    Last edited by Dgr; 27-07-2012 at 18:40.

Rides
    Got my camera, chuffed with it, yesterday took my first pics.

Quick question, in AF mode, when I hold the capture button, I get flashe stutters as it focuses, is this right?

Rides
    It fires the flash in short bursts to help it focus in low light conditions.

Rides
    It fires the flash in short bursts to help it focus in low light conditions.
    Thats cool, was doing that, use to Compacts which dont really do that. So came as a surprise.

Need to look into the manual about turning flash off etc etc

What would be a good lens for taking Macro close ups? I only have the one lens and assume it the OEM supplied one.
    Last edited by gonzomagic; 02-08-2012 at 08:52.

Rides
    I have no idea about macro lenses, or any lense these days. Its been many years since I brought one and I recon things have moved on quite a bit.

Rides
    I have no idea about macro lenses, or any lense these days. Its been many years since I brought one and I recon things have moved on quite a bit.
    Nice one mate, lenses are pricey for one, seen a few good looking ones for around the 300 mark, ouch, Again, once bought, it will last.

Rides
    Proper macro lenses are bare money

The flash bursts are normal - if I were you, I'd try to avoid using the flash wherever possible, or if you are going to use it, turn the intensity of it down so it's just fill flash.

Rides
    How close? The 50mm f1.8 isn't terrible for the odd close up shot. And its dirt cheap.

IMG_0503.jpg