Thread: Ten of the Best 2013 - Elvington - 27/28 July

Rides

Ten of the Best 2013 - Elvington - 27/28 July

I know its early but we always seem to leave this to the last minute and then not get a good team together so i figured id start a thread and try and get the ball rolling. If only for light hearted discussion and a place to put up good practise events

so whos thinking of going? and what are peoples winter plans to improve their cars?

http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    Really want to go next year Even if it is just for the day

Rides
    No offence Scottie but all the work that went on behind the scenes didnt achieve anything. Why does it have to be behind the scenes? activity out in the open about the event helps drum up excitement/anticipation and interest.

All we ended up with last year was three entrants drummed up in the thread I started in here and no SXOC stickers to represent or a club presence at all.

This year needs to be better!

Out of interest who is this secret group of good contenders the club was trying to persuade and intends to persuade again?
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake Ben Taylor View Post
    No offence Scottie but all the work that went on behind the scenes didnt achieve anything. Why does it have to be behind the scenes? activity out in the open about the event helps drum up excitement/anticipation and interest.

Out of interest who is this secret group of good contenders the club was trying to persuade and intends to persuade again?
    Ben it's not secret, and it's not behind the scenes for any other reason than I was PMing a lot of people to try and drum up interest and persuade them, and I don't see why I should have to post up every PM conversation I have with someone about TOTB.

How about you tell me what we could have done different? We had the thread in events, we had mass PM's go out, we had a concentrated effort to persuade entrants? Your car nearly didn't make it. At the end of the day I'm not a magician and if there just is not the people to do it or cars ready, plus with everyone feeling skint etc then we just don't have the entrants.

The club paid entrants fee's for everyone who was willing to give it a go.

We have already sounded out some people for next year, however again I'll only post up when they are confirmed and willing, it's unfair pressure on them otherwise and I just don't operate that way.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    I sort of fancy another go at this

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Ben it's not secret, and it's not behind the scenes for any other reason than I was PMing a lot of people to try and drum up interest and persuade them, and I don't see why I should have to post up every PM conversation I have with someone about TOTB.

How about you tell me what we could have done different? We had the thread in events, we had mass PM's go out, we had a concentrated effort to persuade entrants? Your car nearly didn't make it. At the end of the day I'm not a magician and if there just is not the people to do it or cars ready, plus with everyone feeling skint etc then we just don't have the entrants.

The club paid entrants fee's for everyone who was willing to give it a go.

We have already sounded out some people for next year, however again I'll only post up when they are confirmed and willing, it's unfair pressure on them otherwise and I just don't operate that way.
    Im not asking you to post up every conversation the problem with the way it was done last year is that to the masses the club werent interested, there was no enthusiasm.

Im suggesting this year we do it in the open forum for all to see and try and generate some interesdt/enthusiasm.

There are more than enough cars on here to do well and i honestly think weve the potential to take the overall club trophy

I think theres a feeling only the elite can enter when really any 300+bhp sx with the right prep work has potential to take points. more sx's that take a few points the closer we are to that club trophy

The secrecy around it all, and the pm'ing who you want to enter gives the impression of it being elitist and those not selected arent welcome, which puts people off.

And my car was never 'not' going to make it my email to you said that we would run without the pas connected if we didnt solve the issue

I just think the club as a whole could do so well, and its up to the club/club staff to drum up that enthusiasm etc. If we do well one year as a club not the odd individual, in following years its easy

Hell Jon (800bhp) has had 2nd on the drag strip, me/Tim took first in the handling with less than 300bhp and Ken has had second in top speed.......

Thats nearly all the top points for the club trophy. we only need more numbers pulling in points lower down and its ours!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by actual_ben_taylor View Post
    i sort of fancy another go at this
    do it!!!

Rides
    I can't see where this secrecy or elitist idea comes from, we let you enter last year

We sent PM's to a lot of people encouraging them to give it a go, and post up their interest.

What I can't understand is why start off your first few posts on this topic criticising last year and the work that was done when you clearly had no appreciation just how much we tried to get more people to enter. You could have started positive without the need for cheap shots.

Rides
    they werent intended as cheap shots and I apologise if thats how it came across.

I just really want to see the club do well, when i know we could and last year was a bit pants

Rides
    We all want to see the club do well, and last year we started trying to persuade people after at the previous years event.

There was a lot of work went on, we had a thread open and we updated it with all the entrants and potentials we where trying to persuade.

Up until not long before event we had a stronger team that even the previous year, then for one reason or another several dropped out, reasons outside the club for some with date clashses, others jsut did not have the car ready or money to spend, and once we lost a few of the more recognised names the momentum really dropped for the event.

I'm genuinely not sure what more we could have done, we had the thread open for months and months asking for volunteers, stating you didn't need big power etc, we did a mass PM, we spent time on concentrated PMing, at the end of the day it was a quiet year for TOTB and this was reflected in the overall entrants field.

If there is anything we can do different this year we are open to it, but if you are making the accusations we did very little you need to be sure of that fact before expressing it as all it does is make the people who did try hard feel less inclined to do so again.

We'll start early in the new year, it would be great if ABT and others could do it this year.

I think we should at least aim for most team points in RWD category

Rides
    If the club wasnt enthusiastic about it Ben we wouldnt pay the entry fees

TOTB goes the same way every year, we start off with a list of 10-15 cars and as we get nearer and nearer the time people pull out for various reasons Scottie put a lot of effort in last year trying to get a team together and to simply dismiss that by saying the club effort was a bit shit is one reason staff cant be arsed anymore to organise stuff you of all people should understand that

We tell people every year they dont need 500bhp to enter but if people are not up for it there is nothing you can do, we are already paying the entry fee so I cant see how you can force people to enter ????

But as you seem to have the enthusiasm i am more than happy to have you sort the team this year if Scottie is happy
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If the club wasnt enthusiastic about it Ben we wouldnt pay the entry fees

TOTB goes the same way every year, we start off with a list of 10-15 cars and as we get nearer and nearer the time people pull out for various reasons Scottie put a lot of effort in last year trying to get a team together and to simply dismiss that by saying the club effort was a bit shit is one reason staff cant be arsed anymore to organise stuff you of all people should understand that

We tell people every year they dont need 500bhp to enter but if people are not up for it there is nothing you can do, we are already paying the entry fee so I cant see how you can force people to enter ????

But as you seem to have the enthusiasm i am more than happy to have you sort the team this year if Scottie is happy
    I didnt just mean the staff by 'the club' i meant members also I know the staff put in a lot of effort, i wasnt trying to knock that and have apologised to Scottie up there ^^^^ Im just convinced we all as a club could take the club trophy if we wanted too, and with the club paying entrance fees there really is no reason not to have a go and take part. Hoon your car around for two days (saturday practice and sunday in the main event) even have a go at legally top speeding it and all you have to cover is the fuel you use......

and that seems like a poisoned chalice lol but id be up for it
    Last edited by Fake Ben Taylor; 06-12-2012 at 09:18.

Rides
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...TOTB-2013-Team

We have got an official thread going, thansk to Ben for getting this idea going early.

I've left the non postive posts in here as we don't need them on the other thread.