Thread: split rim bolt sockets - 12 point star

Rides

split rim bolt sockets - 12 point star

Going to be splitting my rims next week, they are 12 point bolts on them. 6-8mm (going to measure later). Will any 12 point/bihex socket do, or do they have to be 'star sockets' with sharper cuts edges? Also when taking them off is it good to do a cross, then clockwize rotation from there? If one of the bolts snaps I'll seriously blow my fuse lol.

Thanks,
    David

Rides
    you'll be fine with a 12point socket unless they are very corroded,

ill bet they are an m7 bolt (if they are Japanese wheels) which are readily available as they are the same as bbs

technically, yes your better off undoing them in such a pattern, however they are not torqued down to ridiculous levels and i bet you if it has more than 10 bolts a wheel you will lose track pretty soon

also unless you clamp them down, they are a bit of an arse to grip without a second set of hands (you can do them by yourself, its just a bit more difficult )

Rides
    Haha probably - its going to be a serious test of my patience.. plus I'll have spent 1k on them before refurbing so going to be splitting them apart with a feather touch. Kind of wondering if it's worth me spending the money getting gold bolts for putting them back together... just to make them uber spesh. I've seen 2 sets go for 1600 pounds without tyres before though so I think worth the money and effort, plus I already have brand new rubber to go on them.

Rides
    Just a normal multispline socket is fine. Panasports have a captive rear nut so no need to worry about holding them from behind as well. I split one set with an impact gun, took me a few minutes. I'd be suprised if you snapped any of the bolts. Just catching up on stuff and saw your pm, you get the sizes yet or you still needing them?

Rides
    Cheers mate, no bigs at all - well I opted for 255/40 rears and 225/45 fronts, will be a little stretch all round, hopefully not too much! Will probs post some pics of progress, I was wondering about the nut so thanks for the advice, qq though - would you recommend I buy a little torque wrench to set them all to 19ft/lb or is it fine to guess it by touch?

Rides
    your better off buying a torque wrench bud, for the amount they cost its silly not too

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 59bhp View Post
    your better off buying a torque wrench bud, for the amount they cost its silly not too
    Suggestions as everywhere I've been looking you're paying £60 for one??? Or am I jus being useless?

Rides
    http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...eproductsearch

there ya go bud probably not the be all and end all of accuracy but will suffice for your needs (and mine as it happens)

Rides
    ^top man, 30 quid saving, cant beat that! so that works out at 26nm or thereabouts for 19ft/lb yeah?

Rides
    How bizarre, split my rims tonight (after realising the spokes needed to go inside) and they are 4 piece! well, there's a lip spacer just before the outer (polished) lip... not sure if I'll need that when it comes back to reassembly, did you have these Dunc?

Rides
    Really? Never seen that before, post a.picture up

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 59bhp View Post
    http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...eproductsearch

there ya go bud probably not the be all and end all of accuracy but will suffice for your needs (and mine as it happens)
    Nice thanks

Rides
    ordered

As for the spacers, they are just extra lips which slip around the spokes as they poke through - should be great as I can use the outer edge as a guide for the silicone bead

Rides
    Managed to source a replacement inner from a 300zx owner who happened to have a spare pana lying in his shed!! Was an utter risk, but turned out to be the exact right width happy days.

So after 2xlips polished we mock fit them (I have 0 patience right?) to see how they're going to sit... looking dishy

Currently working on the centres, they are getting sprayed a similar gold (very hard to find a match) - but we think dipping and shotblasting might give a better finish than the extensive blade+sandpaper smoothing, so may just bite the bullet and get the spokes refinished professionally.