Thread: 1 speaker working only??

Rides

1 speaker working only??

Hi there, this may sound like a completely stupid question but for some reason im only getting sound from my front left speaker!
    Now ive checked my head unit, checked all the plugs/connections at the back of the head unit, checked fuses etc but i cant seem to bloody find anything. I just have the head unit, 2 front speakers and 2 tweeters in the pillars and they are all standard S14 speakers. They all worked before but im stuck as what to check next lol???

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Lee

Rides
    Most likely a break in the speaker wire. My van has just done the same.

Rides
    Ok, but why would the tweeters stop suddenly aswell as the driver front speaker lol?

Lee

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-bo View Post
    Ok, but why would the tweeters stop suddenly aswell as the driver front speaker lol?

Lee
    Because you have a speaker wire running to the door, then it splits to the tweeter and the bass driver lol. My guess would be a break in the main speaker wire where it goes through the rubber trunking in the door shut, but it could be anywhere.

Rides
    I assume you've not set the balance completely wrong on the head unit?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by stoofer View Post
    I assume you've not set the balance completely wrong on the head unit?
    Yeah, thats the 1st thing i checked lol!

Yeah, but both left and right tweeters, and the driver side lower speaker have just stopped lol. Id have thought that if it was a broken wire from the head unit, then none would work and if it was to the left side then y is the lower 1 working but the tweeter not lol? Im confused...ha ha!

Lee

Rides
    any chance uve blown the speakers? pretty certain this is very easy when being powered from a HU

Rides
    Ill try fitting another couple of speakers at the weekend and see if it works - its just weird the those particular 3 stopped working but the other 1 didnt lol...

Lee

Rides
    Im going along with the blown speakers... doesnt take much for the coils to bugger up or the cones to disintegrate...
    One solution is to rewirie your own cables...but before you do that:-

My advice is to get a spare bit of speaker cable and a spare speaker

Using this spare cable and speaker, test each channel of the HU, this will tell you if your HU's amp is faulty.
    If all is good.....
    Use the Spare speaker to test the existing wiring... if it makes noise, your existing speakers are fudged.
    If not...
    Then one at a time, use the spare speaker cable and attach each existing speaker directly to the head unit, if you get noise, then its the existing wiring for sure, if its a mids and tweets setup, check for crossovers... they might also be faulty.

Somewhere along this journey you will get an idea where the fault lays.

Obviously dont want to teach you how to suck eggs mate, but I just hope it helps....

Rides
    Yeah, i think im gona have to go down that route, its just weird that thoise 3 stopped working at once, but the passenger 1 still works fine lol. I mite just replace the whole lot with some better ones but didnt particularly wana spend loads of cash lol,aslong as theres some reasonable quality music, im not really fussed about having a expensive ICE system...

Lee