Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Debate this:

Rides
    There is no such thing as an immovable object though.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Given that both an immovable object and a unstoppable force are both theoretically impossible it's impossible for there to be an answer.
    There is no such thing as an immovable object though.
    The group consensus was to stick the collective fingers in the collective ears and go "la la la".

Do I have to stand on the sofa as well?

Rides
    But did the unstoppable force have to stop to allow itself time to convince the immoveable object that it wasn't, infact, immoveable? If it did then surely it is stoppable.

Rides
    Of course there is no theoretical reason why the unstoppable force cannot, on a particle physics level, pass straight through the immovable object.

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Till the string gets tangled in the foam anyway

Rides
    Everybody in the universe gathers in excited expectation on what is about to happen, the two forces collide and cancel each other out..... nothing happens!!
    The anti climax is so great it is to much to take and everybody kills themselves, so life ceases to exist and everything is extinct in the universe...... However in the distance solar system of Orian 5 on the planet Iferias, the population had a massive bender the night before celebrating there national holiday, dedicated to when there planet was colonised by the Mormons.

Because they believed in christian science nobody bothered to tell them about the experiment, so they awoke midday hungover to find the disappearance of all life in the universe except for them. Iferias's greatest scholars were later to conclude that the sudden disappearance of all life in the rest of the universe was the foretold rapture, in which they had been saved by god before the Armageddon, which of coarse had been caused by the non-believers vexing God with their blasphemous science.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Teggers View Post
    What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?
    Isn't this in an Iain M Banks book? iirc it's the immovable object moves and the unstoppable force is deflected but keeps going.

Rides
    i think all unstoppable forces know better than to mess with immovable objects, lest they be stopped. this is how they are so unstoppable, being wise.

Rides
    Seen this before when a bit constipated..
    Basically the unstoppable force (The previous nights 15 pint guiniess-a-thon) meets the immovable object (a sticky jobbie) and the end result is a loo needing cleaned and a lot of relaxation.

Rides
    My video of a rocket hitting a lump of concrete at 500 mph is a way better image than you curling out a walnut whip I have atm ^^^^

Rides
    lol at the planes needing traction thing, its an old joke from a previous thread, I think Cleanhands was taking the piss

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    My video of a rocket hitting a lump of concrete at 500 mph is a way better image than you curling out a walnut whip I have atm ^^^^
    The the plane stops and the concrete block doesn't, the the plane is clearly not an unstoppable force.

Rides
    The the plane stops and the concrete block doesn't, the the plane is clearly not an unstoppable force.
    The concrete moves.

0:37
    "The wall designed to MOVE and absorb energy, did it's job well".

and that sums it up. If it doesn't move (or change velocity/direction) it can't absorb energy of any force let alone the unstoppable force and so like my chisel must pass it on in it's entirety. As the immovable doesn't move it can't even deflect the force, the force continues along its line of action. It's the whole basis of statics.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    The concrete moves.
    Granted, the concrete block does move a little, so it's clearly not an immovable object. And the definitely plane stops, so not a unstoppable force.

Rides
    I've seen what happens.

Immovable object: Seized bearing on a shaft perhaps, very large very rusty bolt maybe.

Unstoppable force: Bearing puller, 1inch drive socket with 7 foot pole respectively.

Result... Explosion entirely possible, perhaps a visit to A+E.

Rides
    Matt S was born.

we can not let it happen again