Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First dslr. Canon 1100d

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides

First dslr. Canon 1100d

Im thinking of getting myself on the dslr ladder. I was originally looking at Sony units (200, 300 or 340) but have noticed that the canon 1000d and 1100d are both within budget as second hand refurbished units.

Does anyone have any of the above and want to reccommended or give me some much needed advise? I'm currently liking the idea of the canon tbh.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    My parents have got an 1100d I have a 450d .... The difference in final picture is barely noticeable when you use the same lense

Ultimately the kit lens on a 450d gives a crapper picture than the 1100d with a good lens and vice versa ... So ultimately, the lens is more important than the body ... And with cannon you know there are loads of good lenses to be had ... As a beginner camera it hound last you a long time

Rides
    Although not the same camera, I believe its a similar spec... I shoot with a 450D (well the US Rebel XSi). I'm not particularly good but I'm learning and cant fault the camera or any from the EOS range for that matter, awesome to use and easy to navigate the menus and functions.

Couple of shots...

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Cheers for the info mate. I understand that a lot of the components are from other more expensive cameras in the range I also like the fact it films in hd
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    This is already looking good for the canon then, cheers for the pics and info mate. That night time pic is brilliant

Head SXOC Security and small penis department TheBigShow's Avatar
    Rides
    I'm a big canon fan, but I've played with a Nikon and I really like it

Check my Flickr in my sig for pictures I've taken with my 400d.

Be warned you will become a camera geek, just ask Cornwall!

Rides
    don't know the cameras but generally speaking you can't go wrong with Canon. At the end of the day the body will be least limiting factor, the lens and the person behind it will be the way to improve.

Don't get hung up on mega pixel willy waving, in most instances its irrelevant these days. Canon have a good range of lenses from cheap thru the Pro'sumer thru to the professional stuff and lots available second hand. Nikon I found either had the basic or Pro lenses available second hand, that's why I changed to Canon.

Rides
    + 1 for Lenses! They sure do make a huge difference, forgot to mention in my post that I chose those shots because they were all taken with the 'standard' EFS18-55 f/3.5-5.6 lens. Also they are as they came from the camera no Lightroom or Photoshop stuff, simply because I know so little I wouldn't know where to start,lol.

Although I can't comment on the Sony cameras I'm sure you wont be disappointed with the Cannon
    Last edited by Initial_Dave; 25-05-2012 at 09:08. Reason: more stuff to put in yeah!

Rides
    I bought a canon 350d with three lenses for one of the guys here late last year, thought it was great, i have just sold on the body and replaced it with the US 550D because i prefer the live view and lager pixel count, bought the body from an ebay seller brand new for £368, you can get it with the base lense for not a lot more, nicer camera than the 1100d, but it is down to lense choice, and how you use it.

Rides
    I'm a Canon man, can't go wrong. Be warned, it's an expensive hobby!

Rides
    I can bring a 1000D for you to play with tonight if you like, and a 450D or 400D or whatever it is I have?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Cheers guys, sounds like I won't be disappointed with a canon then

Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    I can bring a 1000D for you to play with tonight if you like, and a 450D or 400D or whatever it is I have?
    If you could bring the 1000d that would be fantastic mate especially as its essentially the same model that I'm looking at

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyhx View Post
    At the end of the day the body will be least limiting factor, the lens and the person behind it will be the way to improve.
    This x1000.

Lenses are great and give you versatility, but they're not the be-all and end-all. Expanding your knowledge and skillset is the key, and post production is almost as important as the shot itself, but you should always try and get the result you want in-camera.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I used to have a little knowledge on photography doing a gcse in it when I was at school All my knowledge is either long gone or out of date and as such I will be starting from scratch again. Tbh I doubt i'll be going ott with it all, i just want a camera I can take decent pictures with as and when I want to

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    I used to have a little knowledge on photography doing a gcse in it when I was at school
    Things have changed a bit since then, we use digital cameras now.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Tell me about it, rumor has it these new cameras do colour shots also .

I know you were trying to take the piss but I used to have a zenith and two praktica's. You'll need to pay a visit to a museum to see such things these days

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Opinions on these?

2 lens kit
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3208782335...84.m1423.l2648

Standard Kit
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3208740554...84.m1423.l2648

Both have been refurbished but not sure if it's worth the extra money for the second lens?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Tell me about it, rumor has it these new cameras do colour shots also .

I know you were trying to take the piss but I used to have a zenith and two praktica's. You'll need to pay a visit to a museum to see such things these days
    Ah the good old days when you had to do things manually - you really did learn a craft then. m Its so important to know the relationships between aperture and shutterspeed that you just don't do with todays fully auto cameras.

I cut my teeth on an MTL3

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    You speak the truth. Unfortunately most of what I learnt has long since been forgotten. Hopefully it'll all come flooding back to me

Rides
    I bought an 1100D as my first DSLR and love it. At work we have 5 or 6D's and borrowed one over a weekend. I ended up using the 1100D all the time as with it being plastic bodied didn't find it too much of a strain on the arms after a full day's use. I got the 18/55 lens with it and bought a 70-300 lens as well and the lens hoods. Very impressed with it and have taken some cracking shots. Can't tell the difference from JDM Allstars Wembley last year when I was using the 1100 and the wife was using the 5/6D.