Thread: Bicycle advice

Rides

Bicycle advice

I've notice quite a few riders on here and have just got back into riding (mostly for fitness) and need some advice.
    I have a carrera Vulcan 7005t6 and it's been kept in a garage for about 5 years and was a bit damp so looking a bit tired.
    I mostly ride cross country but have plenty of road options and the suspension is meant to lock out so acts like solid shocks but I think it might be fooked, can anyone recommend a decent make or set of shocks and are forks easy to replace (as in do all fit all bikes?)
    On a lighter note any way to stop my arse from hurting so much after long rides without having a sofa like saddle?

Rides
    You wearing good cycle shorts? I'd start there for a sore bottom

Dunc.

Rides
    Forks are very easy to change, watch this, it's a road bike but a threadless headset on a mountain bike is the same: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq9MH...eature=related

For a saddle, being plusher does not make them more comfortable, I've just fitted on of these to my Specialized and it's very confortable, despite looking like a razor blade:

Rides
    In the main forks use a 1" and 1/8th stearing tube (thats the bit of the forks that goes up through the frame) as long as you match your stearing tube sizes any forks will fit. Things to consider;
    the amount of travel in the fork, don't go any bigger than the bike was designed for it will bugger the frames geometry and make the stearing slow.
    how heavy you are - cheap forks tend to be crap for heavy riders being too soft, you need a fork with a suitable adjustment to suit your weight.

RockShox are pretty good these days, they had a rough patch about 2000-2004 but are right back on their game now.

The only saddle you will ever need is a flite titanium.

Rides
    Yeah I remember rockshox being the big name when I was at school about 15 years ago.
    I'm not the lightest so I know I'll need something with a good damping rate just need to find a set that I can lock solid for road use as well.
    Had heard that about saddles that sometimes the smaller ones like above are actually better.

Rides
    Get the shock serviced?

Rockshox do get mostly good reviews, they make sooo many different shocks though.

Cheap decent/light forks, F1RST Air or SR Suntour Epicon (the Raidon gets a good review too). You'll need to pump them to the right pressure for your weight.

Rides
    Seat-wise... just get on with it. Your ass will get used to it eventually and you'll be fine. If you get a soft seat it just means it will take longer for you arse to firm up and get used to it

Rides
    In a way true, but starting with a decent saddle that fits you is better. The saddle that came with my bike used to cause some numbness, the new one (which I've cycled 65 miles in the last 4 days on) is brilliant for me, no numbness or discomfort at all. It seems the saddles with the long hole in the middle are good in this respect.