Thread: tell me about... z32 and rb25 gear ratios vs. final drive

Rides

tell me about... z32 and rb25 gear ratios vs. final drive

im fed up with s-body gearboxes as they are all noisy and temperemental pieces of crap..... so im (once again ) looking into the rb or z32 conversions available. anyway i wanted to pick peoples brains about gear ratios. my initial plan would be to run either box (which seem to have very similar ratios) with my 3.692 helical s15 diff initially, with maybe a view to go with something 4.1 and up at some point after that.

i have looked at the gearing and rolling radius of the wheels etc and speeds in gear look acceptable with silly cruising speeds at low revs but i wondered what it would be like in general - i'd expect to lose out in the accelleration stakes but its not something i'm experienced in hence the thread. i also noticed that the z32 runs something like a 3.6 diff also so i cant imagine it being awful until i decide which way to go on the final drive... any help appreciated, i would of done this ages ago but finding trustworthy suppliers of gearboxes has proved difficult on the last 2 s14 boxes (noisy inputs, whiny gears) and the shift lever issue is yet to be worked out (cant imagine why it hasnt been sorted, once its done then converting is a no brainer and i know it puts a lot of people off, cutting the tuinnel a bit is fine but its getting it in the right place to keep the interior looking standard?!!)

anyway thanks for reading and in advance for any help or advice
    Last edited by DeanS15; 14-05-2012 at 16:39.

Rides
    with the rb box dont be fooled by running it on a 3.6 diff instead of the 4.1 the box is designed for. I still am and 5th can turn into a chore to use if your pootling behind something at 55mph and you find a small hill. Got a 4.3 diff for mine somewhere though

Rides
    polo is selling the last of the RB adaptors off on driftworks so be quick if you want one. I know nothing about the ratios sorry

Rides
    I see so generally at least a 4.1 would be a must...

Is polo packing the conversions in then? I enquired ages ago about it but he still was looking into a shifter solution....

Rides
    There is the thread : http://www.driftworks.com/forum/part...de-9-left.html

Best to speak to him.

Rides
    You'll be fine with the 3.9 diff